Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5620 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2014 8:54 AM by Kelly1066 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
FoxPaws Amateur 8 posts since
Jul 22, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2014 5:38 AM

Finally got off my big butt... Started C25k

So, earlier this year my daughter in law started talking about C25k....then a few months later she and my son did a Color Run.  They are both looking great, and feeling better....  I figure if the kids can do it, then so can I...right?

I'm a big guy, 300+, with pretty bad arthritis in my hips, legs and back, so I know its going to be a slow journey for me.  But I'm gonna try my best to make it.  I'd like to do the Thanksgiving 5k in my town this year....that gives me a little over 4 months to get up to doing a 5k...

Did my first walk/jog yesterday....could only do it in 10 minute stretches, but I did finish it...  about 1.5 miles in that 30 minutes (well....closer to an hour).... going to go for a walk today at lunch (we have some nice tree lined subdivisions by where I work, so it'll be out of the sun at least.  Tomorrow its day 2, hopefully I can go for a little longer than 10 minute stretches, but we'll see.

Just wanted to get something out into the world, hopefully I can use this posting to keep me motivated.... Will update as I go further...

• Ferrylights Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 21, 2014
    1. Jul 22, 2014 7:09 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

Foxpaws, well done for taking the bull by the horns and having a go. I am also around the 300 mark and have just completed d1w1; found it tough going, but like yourself pushed to completion.

Keep going and look to your long term goals.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Jul 22, 2014 7:14 AM (in response to FoxPaws)
    Re: Finally got off my big butt... Started C25k

Hey Fox,

I don't see any reason why you cannot work your way through the C25K program by mid to late September, and then continue training for a Turkey Day 5K.

FWIW, as of April 2013 (when I started running again) I was a pretty big guy as well (5' 8" and 250+), with arthritis in my right hip and in both ankles.  Now, 15 months and lots and lots of miles later, I'm under 200 pounds and the arthritis has all but disappeared (as has the arthritis in my hands, oddly enough).  I'm not bold enough to claim my arthritis is cured as I have no doubt it'll come storming back if I quit running, but it sure feels good to be pain free. 

Keep us posted on your progress.

• PJinNJ Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 22, 2014
    3. Jul 22, 2014 12:38 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

Good For You!

In May, my 77 year old mother walked the March of Dimes 5K.  About the same time, we attended her younger brothers funeral where all my Aunts and Uncles were gathered.  I noticed that of all the siblings, my mother looked the best and was in the best health.

That is not a coincidence.  My mother keeps active - she never ran races, but she never sat around either.  I am glad that watching your children inspired you to get moving - you now have an activity that you can all enjoy together.

Here's to a long and healthy life!

Aug 9, 2013
    5. Jul 23, 2014 9:10 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

Well done Mike!

It takes lots of determination to do what you're doing; keep us posted on your progress (and your wife's as well). 

Aug 9, 2013
    7. Jul 25, 2014 1:07 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

Cool, you'll be very pleased with how easy Week 1 will be the second time around. 

FWIW, my company announced last week that they're co-sponsoring a 5K next month to benefit the United Way, and you wouldn't believe how many of my co-workers have started the C25K program this week.  Even though I'm a relatively new employee (one year anniversary last week), word has gotten out I've been co-captaining the company running team and doing lots of coaching; I've met more of my co-workers this week than I have since I got hired. 

• Ferrylights Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 21, 2014
    9. Jul 28, 2014 12:43 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

Fox, congrats on finishing week 1. If you feel doing W1 again is right for you then it is right for you - your body will tell you when it is right to progress. I've just completed W1 myself and although I found it tough going I feel confident in progressing to W2. Keep up the good work - we will get to the end of the programme one way or another!

• BlakAutumn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 29, 2014
    11. Jul 29, 2014 5:07 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

Keep going!

• NHTigerGrrl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 30, 2014
    12. Jul 30, 2014 7:55 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

I'm hardly a pro after doing w1d1 but I'm certainly excited for what this can do for me.  I have never been a runner but after falling short on so many fitness goals, I am going to push myself a little harder and try to get out there.  Signed up with friends and family for a Children's Cancer 5K 9/27/14 as inspiration.  I walked a 5K in 2011 and it took me an hour so if I do anything better than that I will have moved forward.  Turned 50 this year and had hoped to be in a better place than 236# but as long as I don't give up I'm still winning.  We can all do this!!! 

• KindOfABigDeal Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    14. Jul 30, 2014 8:05 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

Awesome and inspirational story so far, Mike!!  Keep up the good work and just stay consistent and you'll be ready for that Thanksgiving 5K!  It's great to have a support group to share this stuff with and I'm glad your family and co-workers are all on board, that makes it so much more worth the time and effort, and so much more rewarding too!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...