Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

451 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 24, 2014 6:29 PM by shipo
teleiap Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 16, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2014 5:52 PM

Treadmill vs. Outside

As I read through this forum, I see people saying it's so much better to run outside.  Besides the vitamin K, why is running outside so much better than on the treadmill? 

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 24, 2014 6:29 PM (in response to teleiap)
    Re: Treadmill vs. Outside

While treadmilling may well be the closest exercise to running there is, it isn't actually running.  Why?  The main thing I see is that, given one's body has no momentum when treadmilling, the stride, especially for inexperienced runners, is often dramatically different than the same individual's stride when running on a stationary surface.  The main stide differences I observe among those I coach are shoulder carriage, arch of the back, and worst of all, over striding (i.e. the foot strike is too far out in front of the runner's hips).  One of the new runners on my company running team was complaining to me just this afternoon about back and knee pain when she treadmills.  I videoed her with my phone both outside in the parking lot and inside on the treadmill and she was stunned at how different her stride was.  "That's it," she said, "I'm running outside from now on, to hell with the heat."

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points