Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

222 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 6:55 PM by lenzlaw RSS
DanielleSpitz Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2014 6:07 PM

Improve my 1.5 mile run by 4.5 mins

Hi everyone! I hate running, I've never been a fan and have only done so while playing other sports. I have a PAT test for corrections coming up within a month and I need to run 1.5 miles in 19:52. I am currently running at 24:08...and when I say running I mean that I ran four minutes and speed walked the rest. I'm sure I could jog it and make the time but I can't keep it up consistently. My knees and ankles start to bother me. Any tips on how to train better?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 12, 2014 6:55 PM (in response to DanielleSpitz)
    Improve my 1.5 mile run by 4.5 mins

There are two things you can try.  Both mean going out every other day - like M-W-F.  One way would be to do a run/walk: run for 90 seconds, "speed-walk" for 90 seconds.  Repeat for a total of about 25 minutes. Every couple workouts increase the run time and decrease the walk time but keep the overall time the same.  Say go to 105 seconds run, 75 seconds walk.  This way is less likely to bother your knees/ankle.  (This is something like C25K, which you don't have time for.)  The other way would be to run at a very slow pace (also every other day), just faster than your speed-walk pace, for 20 to 25 minutes.  If your joints start bothering you, go back to the first technique.

Good luck.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...