Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

426 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2014 7:35 AM by justamaniac
JudySankey Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 20, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2014 12:16 PM

Weight Loss and Running

Why am I not really seeing weight loss...I notice inch loss but not like I thought I would see.....I am 58 years old 5'5".....i try hard to eat healthy 90% of the time......I am going to start training with small weights again......I power walk and jog around 15 miles a week....hills  flats....so I am an active person.....can anyone give some guidelines on what I should be eating before walk/jog and after. thanks

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Aug 30, 2014 4:25 PM (in response to JudySankey)
    Weight Loss and Running

Judy,

Don't worry too much about the weight loss part, because you gain lean muscle mass while losing fat, which weighs less per cubic inch than muscle. If your weight is approximately the same, good for you!

There are several schools of thought about pre/post workout nutrition, and the best method for you depends a great deal on what you are trying to do. If you are lean, fit, and racing, the sports supplement folks are speaking to you. If weight loss is the goal, I'd steer clear of the usual sugary workout products, because the "energy" they claim to deliver is already stored in your body. Yes, some sugars can help with performance, but your goal is to train your body to burn stored energy as quickly as possible. You can probably go a long way on stored fat without much in the way of calories before workout time.

Post workout nutrition does not normally have to be as immediate as many would have you believe. Avoid stuffing yourself right after workouts because people say it helps you "recover." For short duration workouts, the need is simply not there. You will get a better endocrine response by delaying your meal after the workout until your appetite falls into line with  actual need. Of course, this does not apply to hydration. Drink up, with as little sugar as possible. Good old fashioned watermelon is a great compromise.

Just be aware of two cautions: (1) If blood sugar drops too low during longer workouts, dizziness and blackouts can occur. (2) The body will start breaking down its own tissues to convert proteins to energy. This of course, is counterproductive. In my opinion, workouts like what you describe leave you in no danger of either extreme. Just bear these cautions in mind when the workouts become longer.

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Aug 31, 2014 7:35 AM (in response to JudySankey)
    Weight Loss and Running

I understand what you mean... when I started running it took seemingly forever for me to realize any weight loss. But as JamesJohnson noted, people loose weight/inches differently. 

In my case, I found that when I restricted carb intake (more protien and greens) and continued to run, is when I started to loose weight. And then after it started, it just sloughed off - I lost 20 lbs quickly and had to start putting new holes in my belts to keep my pants up. But then after I lost the weight, I had to get back on the carbs to maintain the juice to run. Without eating carbs I was having a hard time running very far. I know it sounds crazy, but I am convinced that the human body is constantly changing it's metabolic process. And I'd love to hear what any doc's on this forum might opinion...

I had also heard or read somewhere that, in some cases, actually eating something before exercise (not a lot obviously), actually spurs the body's ability to break down fat cells. I have no idea of its validity, but I tried it and maybe that is also what contributed to my weight loss.

For what it's worth, I REALLY noticed the difference in running without the extra 20 lbs. Nice...!

Best of luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points