Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5974 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 3:25 AM by kcarmike RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 18, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to jennicap05)
    Re: Ex-Smokers Support

i think the thread is a great idea. Im on day 4 of not smoking and day 4 of interval training.Its slow going and my legs are killing me but i will complete the 26.2 .i have exactly 163days 11 hours 30 min and 18 sec  left to train.(that sounds better than 5 months to me.)my lungs suck but after 17 years of smoking thats to be expected.Im taking chantix to help me quit and its doing pretty good.i have no physical cravings just mental ones.any ways lets keep the thread giong and see if we all cant kick this nasty habit.

• Dana Becker Amateur 385 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Oct 18, 2007 8:49 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Good thread. Here is my $0.02.

When did you quit? - For good...I quit in August of 06, about 2 months after I started running.

How did you quit? - I slowly cut down to a handful per day over a few months. Then I finally realized I'd had enough.

How are things going? Very well. I cannot stand the smell of smoke now, and I have absolutely no desire to have one, even when drinking, which is saying something.

Of course, since I quit smoking, I have run about 2700 miles and logged 3 marathons and several half marathons. The thought of smoking now is crazy, and while I regret ever smoking for 12+ years, I'm still thankful that I have put it behind me...for good.

I have a new addiction now, and hopefully I can do this for many more years to come. 

• LeahLulu Rookie 21 posts since
    Aug 30, 2007
    17. Oct 19, 2007 1:56 PM (in response to jennicap05)

For some inspiration to continue not smoking, check this out:
    http://www.smokehelp.org/html/how_soon.html[/URL" target="_blank">

18. Oct 19, 2007 10:15 PM (in response to jennicap05)

GREAT POST!
    I quit smoking August 20, 2007 after 7+ years. I used Chantix, which helped the physical cravings. Things are going great. After the first month of no smoking I treated myself to an iPod. When I got that, I started taking my dog for long walks that turned into walks with some jogging thrown in. I found this site shortly after that and just finished W4 of C25K this evening. I'm looking forward to running my first 5K on Thanksgiving! Unfortunately, I did gain 15lbs in the that first month (I kept putting food in my mouth to replace the smokes). But, I just joined weight watchers, so between that and my 3 day a week running, I should beokay.
    I cannot imagine smoking, mostly because I love how good it feels to take nice deep breaths after a workout without coughing or wheezing. And I love the way I smell! 
    Good luck all you ex-smokers!

19. Oct 21, 2007 8:27 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Wow! What a great post! I mean seriously!! I quit smoking Aug. 19th, 2007 after 25 yrs.. I jumped right into fitness and running. I ran my first 5k Oct. 13th and even scored a medal for third place in my age group . I'm totally hooked, and have an eventual goal of completing an ironman. I was so glad to see a post supporting us EX- smokers. BTW, I did use the chantix. Greatest product out there for the cause. And trust me, I've tried every method out there. Congratulations to all who have kicked the habit and kicked it into gear!

----

20. Oct 28, 2007 11:08 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Great Job on quitiing!!  Good idea on the thread....

So to start off the thread....
    When did you quit?
    2/28/06... after 30 years of 2 packs a day....thank God....

How did you quit?
    Read the book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"

How are things going?
    Gained weight and waist size lol Started walking, then runnning, now training...

Got to love this..... Ran my 1st 5K last week 30:23 and I was amazed, but knew I could do better. Just finished my 2nd 5k two hours ago....28:17. even more amazed....now that I get the hang of racing, will try to break 27:00 next week.

The only problem(and major regret of smoking) is lack of lung power... I'm sucking wind when non smokera seem to have much eaiser time getting wind.....

Any tips?

Vinny O

• DipMom Rookie 175 posts since
    Jan 2, 2007
    21. Oct 28, 2007 12:00 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I am not a smoker but I wanted to pop on here and tell you that I am so very proud of you all. I have so many friends and family that struggle with this, and I am amazed at your will-power.  I commend all of you.

• monstrous Rookie 23 posts since
    Sep 22, 2005
    22. Oct 28, 2007 9:14 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I quit @ 3 years ago, age 37 then and feeling much older than that, also @ 25-30 lbs overweight. I smoked unfiltered camels for @ 20 years. some friends asked me to do an offroad tri with them, a very technical 17 mile mountain bike loop was my part, i am a very good technical rider and figured that would allow me to hang with the mid pack riders.... got a flat tire 5 miles in, repaired it and fought through cramps and 3 crashes to finish, i would have given up if the other guys on my team did'nt need me to finish so they could participate. demoralizing. 5th from last.
    three days later i decided to try to run my first mile, went 2 miles in 32 minutes. the same friend that got me into that tri asked me to do a 5k with him, which i did after training for 5 months in 30 min.
    The JFK 50 goes right in front of my house and i've always been amazed that anyone could run 50 miles, so i decided shortly after that 5 k to do the JFK. I trained for @13 months and did that race, very emotional. so now my life, and priorities are much different. I don't miss smoking.
    to try to increase my lung capacity i run up every mountain i can. my training runs include all kinds of offroad trails up, and down many favorite mountains, great views, and if i get tired i can walk but my heart rate stays very high, and it's really fun!
    i may never be an elite athlete, but i can run and play with my kids, and do new things that i really enjoy without being a slave to nicotine, and without throwing away my health like a piece of trash. You quiters ROCK!

• CSawyer Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    23. Oct 28, 2007 9:21 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Congratulations on quitting!  I've been smoke-free for almost 5 months...about to start my sixth.

I used Chantix....after trying just about everything else for the past several years. I eventually just lost interest and started to seriously run instead of smoke.

Now things are great....I love running and can't wait to see how I am after a year of non-smoking.

24. Oct 28, 2007 9:31 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Awesome thread you guys! I was afraid to even bring up the topic of smoking. I quit smoking back in February with Chantix, and started eating. I went from 110lbs to 135lbs in 2 months. So, I started smoking again - to quit the eating. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    But around April, I decided to start walking to drop a few lbs.
    One fine, wonderful day, I thought well, maybe I could run just a little...That was the best moment - I was just giggling as I ran. I LOVED it!
    I quit cold turkey the next day so I could go running. I still love the smell of smoke, and I have had 1 or 2 since. I have to say, I never thought I'd find anything that relieved stress and felt as good as smoking used to, but running is it! I've dropped 15 lbs, feel great, and am in better shape at 36 than I was at 25. My kids look up to me now instead of complain about my nasty habit. And I eat SO much healthier and so does my family.
    I wish I'd put that date on the calendar! Those few minutes opened up a whole new life for me. I used to wonder when I could smoke next - now I wonder when I can run, and for how long. And I PROUDLY wear my shirts from the 5ks I've run, looking forward to my first 10K December 15.
    Congratulations to all of us! We kicked one of the hardest addictions there is to kick! Running is so much more than an addiction - it's a way of life.

25. Oct 29, 2007 2:15 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I was at a Halloween party this weekend, surrounded by smokers. Seriously, everywhere I looked inside and out there were people smoking. I was drinking, which always makes it difficult to resist the urge, but I did, mostly by telling myself I didn't go 60 some days without smoking to start again. And then I started thinking about my running and how good it felt to breathe and I didn't mind being a non-smoker.
    Anyone else have a tough weekend? I'm on day 71 of non-smoking and getting ready to do W6D2 after work. I've also lost 5 of the 30 pounds I gained between non-smoking and poor eating habits. It's going to be a good week!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

27. Oct 29, 2007 3:11 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Jen- I think I congratulated you on another post, but congrats again. Good for you! You did the 5K now what? 10K? Half marathon? Keep up the great work!
    -Meg

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• fragileknees Rookie 32 posts since
    Nov 7, 2007
    28. Oct 29, 2007 4:39 PM (in response to jennicap05)

What a great post!
    I'm a constant quit/begin smoking again person.  Once I gain a few pounds I resort to smoking.  Although rationally I know that a few pounds are nothing compared to ciggs, I cannot seem to make that thought compute (read: recovered eating disorder).  I run as much as my knees will allow.  Currenlty doing 3.5 miles M and W with a long run 5-6 on F.  I try to weight train Tu and Th and stay active during the weekend.  I'm on the patch today and determined once again to quit this habit.  I love to run and would love to improve my distances and times... just gotta convince my brain it doesn't need the cig, my mouth that it doesn't want the extra calories, and my knees that I can go further.  (((SIGH)))  Congrats and good luck to all.

• waltrb Rookie 9 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    29. Oct 29, 2007 4:57 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I quit Late June '06, after 25 years of smoking. Why? turned forty, and promised my oldest, she's eight, that I'd quit. I started running again as a way to distance myself from smoking culture and because I was an able enough runner in HS. 1st 5k after 25 years....23:38, August '06. Most recent 5k last weekend...19:43, wearing orange tights and a pumpkin mask. I don't road race very often...rather hit the trails.

I am still occasionally gripped by an intense craving for tobacco which I do not give into.

Props to all who have quit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...