Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7056 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 3:25 AM by kcarmike Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • kcarmike Rookie 150 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 30, 2007 11:43 AM (in response to jennicap05)
    Re: Ex-Smokers Support

Meg~Way to go not smoking this weekend!  I have just gone through my first bout of super cravings.  I qit 5 1/2 months ago.  I have had only 1 smoke since (shortly after quitting) and haven't looked back.  Well, DH was gone for 2 weeks back to the states, having fun, not worrying about the kids' baths, dinner, homework, diaper changes, etc...By last Thursday I was wanting nothing but a big glass of wine and a smoke.  Lucky for me this place is so small that EVERYONE (no joke) would know I bought some cigarettes.  Then DH would know and he would be furious (rabid anti-smoker; how we ended up together I sometimes wonder).  So that helped keep me in line.  Now I am only having a small craving.  It's weird to me since I never really had cravings before now.  Quitting for me was actually easy.  Just lucky I guess; I am very grateful.  I just hope the cravings end soon.  I figure it's just a stress thing. 

Keep going everyone!! We ROCK!!
    Kris

• Currently Being Moderated
    31. Oct 30, 2007 11:57 AM (in response to jennicap05)

This is what I need!!  I am a smoker, and I have been trying to quit.  I just have a hard time making it stick.  I am in week 3 of a beginner get-off-the-couch type running program.  I am doing pretty good, but I know if I want to keep going with this I have to quit smoking!  Maybe I can get some support here.

• DonNorthfield Rookie 3 posts since
    May 25, 2006
    32. Oct 30, 2007 12:09 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I quit March 22nd of 2006 and started running May 1st 2006 with the C25K program.

I have since completed 3 half marathons and 2 full with a some shorter races thrown in along the way.

I was able to quit by reading Alan Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" then joining an online group at whyquit.com. I quit cold turkey after smoking for 19 years and building close to a 2 pack a day habit. I had tried the patch and gum before without success and now truly believe that a cold turkey approach is the most successful long term aproach to smoking cessation. Education is the key and Joel Spitzer at whyquit.com will give you all the education you can handle.

For example, earlier in the thread there were some experiencing weight gain while quiting. The easy explanation is that cravings for nicotine and hunger pangs very closely mirror each other and we get tricked into eating more. Once you are educated, rather than reaching for the chips you realize that some water, deep breaths, or even a quick walk are much better remedies.

Please keep it up everyone!!! Quiting is the best gift you will ever give yourself.

I know 19 months ago I could'nt fathom running around the block - now at 40 years old I have a 5K PR of 23:00:00 flat and a 1/2 Marathon PR of 1:51:36 and I'm not finished yet

• WonderMa Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Oct 30, 2007 12:23 PM (in response to jennicap05)

When did you quit?
    I quit in June of 06

How did you quit?
    Cold Turkey

How are things going?
    Great!

I started running last year, and in May I ran my first 5K to celebrate a year of being smoke free!

I have taken some short breaks from running as my life is a little crazy, but I love it and try to keep up.  It has taken a while for my lungs to catch up with my body, but now I really love going for runs.

34. Oct 30, 2007 12:53 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Kris-Good for you for not smoking. Sure, everyone noticing is what partially stopped you, but if you really and truly wanted one you would've found a way to get a smoke. Overall, the cravings aren't that bad but every now and then I really, really want one. I've gotten past the eating part (have lost 5lbs in the last two weeks) and now just take deep breaths and enjoy the way I can breathe and the way I smell now. Do you know how stinky smokers are? And I was one of those?!? GROSS!

Walter, Rock, and Wonderma- Glad to hear all the great non-smoking stories. And I give extra props to anyone that managed to just quit cold turkey. Good for you!

Good luck staying non-smoking everyone! Non-smoking and running! We rock!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• sully702 Amateur 124 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    35. Oct 31, 2007 10:37 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Jenni, 

This is probably the most important thread on the board because it can help someone kick a deadly habit.

Congratulations to everyone who has quit and for lending support to those who are trying.

Keep this thread alive!  It can really help alot of people.

• Birdog Amateur 116 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    36. Oct 31, 2007 10:56 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Thank you for this thread. I need positive input for quitting.

I quit smoking cigarettes in 94. I'm 5'9". Weighed 237 pounds. Was consistently running 2 miles a day. But had never run over that distance. I walked up to a world class runner in his running shop (who did training). I told him: "I wanna run the LA marathon next year. Will you train me to do it?" Thinking back on it...I don't know how he stopped from breaking down laughing? Anyways... He told me I would have to quit cigarettes or he wouldn't train me. Well....he tolerated my smoking cigars. Been on them since.

I do have to admit. Most of what kept me smoking was the company I worked for made it against the law for no reason. All they did was help my addiction grab me. Nothing positive from them for quitting.

Even though you don't inhale cigars. Yes, they do effect you. Right now I keep thinking that I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. No matter what I do. Even that little bit of nicotine just makes me feel sick and tired.

Please keep the positive input coming.

----

Ron
    When being chased by a bear...You don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

• fragileknees Rookie 32 posts since
    Nov 7, 2007
    38. Oct 31, 2007 2:43 PM (in response to jennicap05)

jennicap05: Thanks for sharing your story.  I identify with your struggle and am touched by your encouragement.

cajinrunner: I got your back if you got mine! My run was difficult this morning and I blame my indulgence in nicotine and vodka last night. We cannot truly be runners while still being smokers. I haven't even craved a cig yet today, but evenings are most difficult for me. I'll be thinking of you.

anyone have a story about how greatly their running improved after quitting? that would help motivate me... i know my health will improve, but that is so intangible to me.

congrats to all the quitters!  you are inspirational to those of us still struggling with the nicotine devil.

39. Oct 31, 2007 3:40 PM (in response to jennicap05)

This is a great thread!

I am on week 3 of chantix and it has been amazing!  I have cut down from 20 cigarettes a day to 4!  Chantix really helps with the cravings.  I would recommend it to anyone who needs help quitting!

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    40. Oct 31, 2007 4:29 PM (in response to jennicap05)

When did I quit….. Wow, that was a long time ago…… it was Oct 1979, when I was 30, after being a pack-a-day smoker for 13 years.   I tried quitting several times without any luck…. the addiction of lighting up was just too tough to kick, and  I also had peer pressure to keep smoking.

How did I quit…… it was sort of an unconventional way but it worked. I realized that I was dealing with 2 addictions…. one was the nicotine and the other addiction was the “need” to have a cigarette in my hand when I was on the phone, having a drink, leaving a college class….. and a number of other situations that triggered that “need”. I decided to attack one addiction at a time. For three weeks I did a “Bill Clinton “ and quit inhaling . My wife and none of my friends knew I was in the process of quitting. When the phone rang, I lit up, when I was at a party, I lit up….. but nobody realized I wasn’t puffing. After about 3 weeks I wasn’t craving nicotine anymore so it was fairly easy to kick the "need" to have a cigarette in my hand. Once I quit smoking it was strange… I actually enjoyed being around my friends for that secondhand smoke but never had a craving to light up again.

How are things going…..   2 years after I quit, I started running and like I said I have never had a craving again to smoke ….. and that’s been 28 years since my last cigarette.

• LeahLulu Rookie 21 posts since
    Aug 30, 2007
    41. Oct 31, 2007 6:46 PM (in response to jennicap05)

CajnRunner, I absolutely recommend Chantix. I have tried everything and this is the first thing that worked. Give it a shot. You take it for a week or so before trying to quit. Once it's in your bloodstream, it really blocks those physical, gut-wrenching cravings. However, and I don't know if any of the others have experienced this, there were some annoying side effects. I had trouble sleeping and got a little nauseated... You will be amazed at how much better your running will get when you quit. I have been athletic all my life and smoked since my early teens. And running (and playing soccer and swimming and the rest of it) is just soooo much better as a non-smoker. You know that feeling of having to cough up the junk at the beginning of a run? Or wheezing on a humid day? Or how every time you laugh you have a coughing fit? It goes away!!
    Birdog, I know what you mean about just that little bit. From what I understand you really haven't "quit" until your body totally shakes the nicotine. So, even if you get down to one cig a day, or a cigar now and again, your body isn't ever really withdrawing. Perhaps you need to really completely quit. I know, easy to say. In previous attempts to quit, I have gotten down to one or two a day and I would consider that quitting. But it really wasn't, and it left the door wiiiide open for me to start smoking like a chimney...
    As for the weight gain that we're all concerned about... Just think... if you don't smoke, you can do a hell of a lot more exercise than you could have as a heavy smoker and you will be able to get in sweet shape!! I am not there yet but am on my way... For years, when I was into running, I would get up to 3 miles and be very proud of myself, but I will tell you, every step was a struggle. Now, 3 months after quitting, I am up to 5 miles and enjoy it so much.

42. Oct 31, 2007 7:41 PM (in response to jennicap05)

I am a quitter 'come runner.

I quit 2 years ago, the Sunday before Hurricane Katrina hit.

Many things led me to the decision:

Chris Reeve's wife Dana Reeve was diagnosed with lung cancer (she was always an amazing womanthey were an amazing couple and beat the odds staying together following his paralysis).<br /><br />Peter Jennings died from lung cancer.<br /><br />I turned 38 (that made it "this side" of 40)<br /><br />My mom had a cancer scare.<br /><br />So I quit. I wore a patch for a week and took Zyban for a couple of weeks.<br /><br />I put the money I'd have spent daily in a glass jar so that I could see all the money I was savingwhich I later spent on a fabulous Nikon D50 camera.

I allowed myself to comfort eat but with the understanding that I had to find other ways to take care of my "need" to smoke....

I was a wreck. Just ask my friends and co-workers!

I had a friend who had quit that I could call at the drop of a hat. I knew she would understand exactly what I was going through, exactly. I needn't say anything, could even just be there crying with her if need be. She was there 24/7. Interestingly, I never called her. But it is probably because I knew how solidly she was there for me.

And.......I walked after work to keep from going nuts. Eventually, I jogged one side of my neighborhood block. Then 2. Then I went to the 1/4 mile track at a nearby elementary school. I ran half of it. Then all of it. Then a mile on it.

Now I run 5K's all the time. I am doing my 1st half marathon in 10 days. I am doing well. Better than well. I feel so alive and am grateful everyday for being able to quit.

so, to all of you, I salute each of you and hope that you will work a program to quit. You don't have to promise to quit forever, just quit for today. Sometimes I had to just quit for the hour. It was many months before I ceased having the thought, "Gosh, I want a cigarette."

Unlike many other reformed smokers I still love the smell of cigarette smoke, I still see people in their cars smoking and think, "Wow, that looks good." Who knows when that will end.

I am so glad too that you started this thread. I find it helpful to read everyone's stories and know that I will not be smoking a cigarette tonight.

• stacy0203 Rookie 9 posts since
    Aug 14, 2006
    43. Oct 31, 2007 9:53 PM (in response to jennicap05)

Hi I quit smoking in April/07
    I had tried about 10 times before and never made it past 2 and half months. I tried gums, patches, zyban ( which put me in the hospital due to a drug reaction)
    Nothing ever worked. Roman the Hypnotist came to town and I decided to give it a try even if I quit for 3 weeks I had my money back. I cannot believe that even though I wasn't really hypnotised that I still have not had a cigarette in 7 months and my husband quit with zyban a few days later.
    We are still married too.... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    I won't lie and say it was easy, you do have to want to quit and stick with it. There is something about Fridays for me I always want a cigarette on that day. Must be to relax after a long week at work.
    I have started the c25k again and I am going on week 6 as soon as I get some help finding the mp3 site again...having a hard time without it....I don't like watching the clock...!
    Good luck everyone and it is well worth quitting if for nothing else then the money you will save.

44. Nov 1, 2007 10:16 AM (in response to jennicap05)

Jen- I actually got a little teary thinking about pushing through the last of a race and thinking to yourself I AM A QUITTER! I think that's great! In most circumstances, that would be a negative thing, but in this case...

Everyone- We've conquered a really, really tough habit and replaced it with something even better. Can you imagine running the way you do and still being a smoker? I'm still surprised that I wake up in the morning without that annoying cough that never seemed to go away. Keep up the great work!!!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...