Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2997 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 11:48 PM by Christie Love Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Lady Vader Rookie 27 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Nov 28, 2007 11:22 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)
    Re: Hey Newbies--Can You Slow Down?

Huzzah!

It drives me nuts when I see people who are brand new to running complain about a 30-minute time for their first 5K.

Sheesh, my first one was 42 minutes in a BLIZZARD, and I was just thrilled that I ran the entire way and didn't want to die at the end.

I'm only a year and three months into running, but I still love it.

• nj joe Amateur 117 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Nov 28, 2007 3:12 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

You're our Hero Nick ! Honestly,I carry your advice with me on every run,especially the part about "just enjoying yourself"

I read a great quote in Runner's World that went something like:

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I've done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won't have to scream in pain later on.

Thanks again !!!!!!

• ForceD Rookie 482 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Nov 28, 2007 3:26 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick – My only lengthy respite was for six months in 1986 due to my first back surgery. I do log miles...I have the logs to prove it...but have only accumulated about half of your 65k. In the 80s I became serious about multi-sport and cross-training. So, a lot of those would-be running miles are miles in the pool, open water, or on the bike. Nevertheless, I always have been and always will be a runner first and foremost.

Dan

• Currently Being Moderated
    19. Nov 28, 2007 3:43 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Is it me or does it feel like everyone wants to hold hands here and start singing Cumby Yah?

21. Nov 28, 2007 4:13 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I'm "running" my first 5K on Saturday and I am really hoping I beat the 45 minute requirement!  I doubt that that makes me obsessed with speed -- more obsessed with not coming back to a finish line where everyone has already gone home! 

Actually I am only five weeks into the C25K program so I will be walking more than "jogging", but that's okay, cuz I think I walk almost as fast as I jog.  But I heard races are fun and energizing, so what the heck.  Four months ago if I walked the dog around the block I thought it was a major achievement.  54 yrs old, so not sure I'll ever get to join your club -- but I will hold hands and sing (as any old scout knows it is really Kumbaya)

• eliz4015 Pro 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Nov 28, 2007 6:30 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick, your posts are wonderful, your advice important to the ever-changing group of newbies here.  Please keep them coming. 

I'll be eligible for your 30+ running club 28 years from next March - when I'm 75. I fully expect that you'll still be preaching the gospel of running slowly then! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Eliz

23. Nov 28, 2007 7:16 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Just curious....I scanned the thread so I'm sorry if I missed the answer...How fast is "too fast"?  I'm plodding along at a pretty low speed, and cover 1.5 miles in the W1 routine.   I'd be killing myself if I did more than that.

Is this wrong though....I have a 35 inch inseam (yup, lots of leg) so I can WALK at 4.2mph on the treadmill. I leave it at that for the entire time, but just jog when I'm supposed to. If I get really pooped, I slow down that walking.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I"m new, and well, you know how us virgins are!!!   

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Nov 29, 2007 8:36 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick's good people; I'll vouch for him.

Yes, his posts can get a bit redundant but there's a reason for that - it's good information.

Now that Nick has told us that we need to slow down for the empteenth time, the question arises: What if we're in this to get fast? What then?

Patience grasshopper. It comes with time. My first race after getting back into this was a 10k, my favorite distance to race. I was 3rd from last. I beat a woman in her 80s and a guy who smoked a cigar during the race. I wish that was a joke, but it's not. I think a DFL would have had more dignity.

Fast forward 18 months to two weeks ago and a 5 mile turkey trot. Out of 1885 runners, I placed 676th, finishing in 42:28, an 8:29 pace.

How much speedwork have I done to get there? Virtually none. Tried some earlier this year for a few weeks but just didn't feel like it was time for me yet. So i just continued to run long and steady.

I am doing speedwork now. If fact I just started about 3 weeks ago. There is a time and a place for everything. You speed will come. The key is patience and consistency.

Oh, and when it comes time, I'll tell you it's a feeling like no other. Hammering your head against the wall till your legs scream for mercy and your guts leak out of your eye sockets during the final stretches of a race is one of the most incredible feelings in the world and when you do it in its proper time, it comes without injury or burnout and leaves you with a burning desire for more (just not at that moment).

Press on friends.

26. Nov 29, 2007 10:53 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I have been running since September and started slowly. Built up distance, was running twice a week 3 miles each time about 32 mins.  Always read to posts here, decided to listen to Nick..and slowed down.  Was able to run 4.4 miles in 46 min.  Very cool I thought to my self.  Then today, I ran 6.7 mile in 79 min (a blistering pace) I was amazed at myself. 

Nick rules...

Scott

27. Nov 29, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I love your advice!  I thought I was running slowly, and then it got more challenging.  I decided to go even slower, and it is working GREAT!!  I am in week 5 of C25K, and I feel great.  I signed up for my first 5K at the end of January.  I may be slower than Christmas, but I know I'll be able to finish it.  I think my pace right now is about a 15 min/mile.  I know that is slow, but I just want to progress slowly.  Thanks for the boost of confidence.

28. Nov 29, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I just started the couch to 5K program Monday and will complete my second day tomorrow.  I'm so glad I found your post!  I have been feeling bad because my "run" was more of a "turtle crawl jog".  When I would try to speed up to my husband's rate, I got winded too easily and gave up. I will remember to keep it slow now - thanks for giving me a solid base to build on!  Maybe I'll even be able to complete all of the sections this time - my first day I had to walk through the last two.  As you can tell, I'm a total newbie.

• AEK702 Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Nov 29, 2007 9:13 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick, I think this should be posted every few weeks for all the newbies, because we need permission to go slow. I started in May with a 13:30 min mile. I'm down to a solid 13min mile. But I can run forever at that pace, well, not forever, but I finished a 10K in October without walking one step. I finished the 10K in 1:21:??, which means that a person who couldn't run for 60 seconds in May without wanting to die managed to run for almost an hour and a half 5 months later. So what if I am slow? I'm running a 15K in March, so I'm looking at two hours of running. It makes me pretty smug to think- "Hey, I'm going to be able to run for two hours without stopping!" The miles keep coming without injury, and yes I do sing when I run to make sure that I'm not going too fast. So in honor of you, my comrades on the trail tomorrow are going to get a rousing rendition of Kumbayah! And in honor of that other poster they are going to get all 5 verses (I'm planning a six mile run, plenty of time for singing).

Run slow, run strong!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...