Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2660 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 11:48 PM by Christie Love RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 29, 2007 9:37 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)
    Re: Hey Newbies--Can You Slow Down?

I'm not quite a newbie to running, in that my endurance and speed are pretty good; I can crank out a 5-6 mile run in close to a 9 min/mile pace these days. But I've never been able to run any longer than that. So after reading this thread this week, I decided to try out Nick's advice: to go slow in order to increase my distance. I set out to run 8 miles today, and the honestly, the hardest part was keeping myself from running too fast. I have never had such a relaxing run. I felt like I could go on forever. I felt so strong and calm. Wow.

Thanks, LRN. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

....still breathing...

E.

• Rose0104 Rookie 39 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Nov 29, 2007 10:01 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

LRN - I always love reading your posts.  I'm not a good runner, but I'm a dedicated one.  I've been dealing with cancer off and on the past five years and am in the midst of finishing 6 months of chemo.  I managed to keep up with running during the first 3 months or so, but then got too sick and have been sidelined.  I can't wait to get back out there and know that I will be starting very, very slowly.  Who cares?!?  At least I'll be out there.  I don't take running for granted - my running mantra is "Run because you can!"

32. Nov 29, 2007 10:10 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

quote:

Originally posted by Rose0104:

LRN - I always love reading your posts. I'm not a good runner, but I'm a dedicated one. I've been dealing with cancer off and on the past five years and am in the midst of finishing 6 months of chemo. I managed to keep up with running during the first 3 months or so, but then got too sick and have been sidelined. I can't wait to get back out there and know that I will be starting very, very slowly. Who cares?!? At least I'll be out there. I don't take running for granted - my running mantra is "Run because you can!"

I just found my second hero on here. Welcome back Rose and keep us posted!!!

34. Dec 25, 2007 11:26 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Hi everyone,
    I'm definitely a newbie. I will be doing WK4D2 of C25K today. LRN I am sooooooooo happy that you said something. Please continue to do so. I was so tempted to post it myself. Instead I was asking friends and colleagues the question: "Why is it so important to go fast?". My goal is to finish and I don't care how long it takes me. Also I know if I go too fast I will burn out and come to hate running and I don't want to do that. I always want to enjoy running and taking it slow will ensure that. Thanks again.

[http://This message has been edited by likenootherrunner (edited Nov-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by likenootherrunner (edited Nov-30-2007).]

• ForceD Rookie 482 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. Nov 30, 2007 9:13 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

quote:

Originally posted by Rose0104:

I'm not a good runner, but I'm a dedicated one.

Rose - In my eye dedicated = good.
    You just keep running and enjoying it the way you want to. It'll help you heal.

Dan

--

<br /><b>Running since March 1979</b><br />I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know ..., then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature.<br />Ed Koren<br />Runner and Cartoonist, New Yorker magazine<br />
    <br /><b>The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.</b><br />

<br />When the going gets tough; sprinters quit.<br />
    --

• thickasabrick37 Rookie 34 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Nov 30, 2007 10:34 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

A big 1 for Nick and my thought FWIW:

I've been running for 6 years, doing tris for 4 and I'm certainly nothing special as an endurance athlete. Still, when I am in my base building phase, (like i am now) I take off my watch and leave it at home for long runs, long bikes and long swims. Then, you can do your activity at a pace that feels right with no worries. Believe or not, man started running long before he had the latest Timex Ironman GPS MP3 watch.

Save the watch for the office and see if you don't enjoy running more.

Jay

----

The artist formerly known as thickasabrick.

"If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough." - Jerry Price

• LPF Rookie 77 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Dec 2, 2007 4:02 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I had a hip problem which I figured out was tendonitis. Lots of stretching, icing, aspirin and it was much better. My point: I followed a training program which sounded reasonable but was TOO MUCH. As Katherine Switzer says about her OHR program, there were weeks she had to repeat. At age 50, and never that athletic, I realized I am expecting too much too fast. I Thanks to all the support here, I am backing off - but just finished my third 5K today -- in the cold!!!! Not my best time, but I felt great - strong and in shape.

Isn't that what counts??????????

I am thankful I did not have to stop training for this race due to injury.

THANKS TO ALL!

• SRT936 Rookie 28 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Dec 2, 2007 9:13 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I'll post my own experience to reinforce what LRN is saying. I started running in August of 2006 at the weight of 354 lbs. I'm now a svelte 225 and running races all the time.

Anyways, I was stagnant at the 5k pace. I trained hard all summer but never got below the 28:00 mark. Then I heard about this whole "slow down" thing. Although it seemed counter-intuitive, I did it. Boy was it hard to bring my pace down to around the 11:00 minute mark. But I focused on it and kept most of my training runs slow and easy. Along comes the Harvest Celebration 5k and I smoked out a 25:34 PR! I placed 8th in my age group out of 47. The only major change to my training program was to SLOW DOWN.

Then there's the added benefit of always feeling good while running. I don't struggle anymore, I don't push so hard, and I don't worry about getting hurt. I set out with the attitude that I'll run only as fast as my body is comfortable doing and then slow down just abit.

Although I had doubts about it, I'm now a huge convert to the slow down club.

40. Dec 3, 2007 12:38 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I've been running a little while, with a break during my recent pregnancy, so I'm just trying to get back on the horse.  But my sister is beginning to run as well.

I've told her, when you're running on the treadmill, you want to go so slow that everyone around is thinking, "why does she even bother jogging that slow? I could walk faster than that".

When I run outside, I picture everyone driving past me thinking, "Oh, how cute, the little chubby girl is trying to run."  but I'll tell you what, once I get rid of this baby weight, log my miles, and have the discipline to take it slow, I am going to feel SO GOOD!  

• Christie Love Rookie 45 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...