Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1208 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2006 9:08 AM by reboot RSS 1 2 Previous Next
kcwoodhead Rookie 316 posts since
Oct 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2006 2:13 PM

Dannon Activia

I started eating this 3 days ago out of curiosity.  Has anyone else tried it?  What exactly does "regulate your system in 2 weeks" mean?  Is is the same as upping your fiber intake?  I see there is no fiber in this yogurt though.  I understand how/why fiber works, just wondering what's up wtih this yogurt.  I don't really have digestive problems per se either, I guess i'm just curious to see what it does.  I was drinking Danactive for a few weeks before I realized they were 2 different products!!

• NorthernElf Rookie 214 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 23, 2006 3:04 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)
    Re: Dannon Activia

Haven't tried it - not after I looked at the ingredients - too much sugar and stuff.

You can get the same benefits from an acidophilus or probiotic supplement, at less cost. The idea is that it gives your colon alot of the "good" bacteria.

• sixfeetsmall3x5 Rookie 118 posts since
    Apr 27, 2005
    2. Aug 23, 2006 3:19 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

One of the girls I eat lunch with eats one of these daily.  She swears by them.  I tried them for a few weeks, and saw no difference (I gave it a fair, daily, 3 week shake).  I think the difference between the 2 of us is that I already eat healthy, and she is the exact opposite.  She said it does take at least 2 weeks to notice a difference.  However, if you don't have any issues with your...um...colon, and you already eat healthy, you may not notice a difference from eating this.  It seems like an expensive habit...and man it has a lot of sugar too.

• muzicgrl Amateur 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 23, 2006 4:11 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

This product has live bacteria in it (probiotics). I did my thesis research on probiotic supplementation so I am pretty familiar with them. You might be able to get similar benefits from probiotic supplements as NorthernElf suggested. However, there have been studies (sorry I dont feel like digging up the references right now) that have shown that milk proteins in yogurt help protect the probiotic bacteria so that they survive through the stomach and make it into the intestines, where they can do their "work". Additionally there is no regulation on probiotic supplements (including yogurt based ones) so depending on what you choose to use, there may or may not be large enough numbers of bacteria included to produce an effect. Also different species and different strains are found in different supplements, some of which have proven to be effective and some which arent. A product like this will not magically solve any problem. However, GI symptoms (if you have them) can be decreased by taking probiotics and they certainly cannot not harm you. I say if you like the product continue to use it. It will take a few weeks to a month to see a result. However, you wont necessarily "see" results even if it is working. Is there some particular problem you are trying to solve?

• ultramom Rookie 63 posts since
    Jun 9, 2006
    5. Aug 23, 2006 9:37 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

KC ~ Ditto damn it! If I could figure that out.... I was told when I first started running that it would make me more "regular" but that was BS (no pun intended!!)  Anyone out there know the secret?

• kspowell Amateur 263 posts since
    Jul 8, 2004
    6. Aug 23, 2006 10:25 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

quote:

Originally posted by ultramom:

KC ~ Ditto damn it! If I could figure that out.... I was told when I first started running that it would make me more "regular" but that was BS (no pun intended!!) Anyone out there know the secret?

I can wake up, feed the cats, have my cup of coffee and eat a bowl of cereal, and I am 'ready to roll' about 15 mins after stepping out of bed every single morning.

Coffee is a GI stimulant, so maybe that's the magic bullet.

Additionally, I believe that the act of eating gets things moving too. I worked in an animal hospital all through HS, and the dogs certainly worked this way. They'd eat their food in the kennel and would be 'good to go' minutes later.

Keeping a routine helps too. I always run in the morning, always drink a cup of coffee and always eat a bowl of cereal, always within 30 minutes of waking.

--

<br /><a href="http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=kspowell" target="_blank">...on your left![/URL" target="_blank"><br />Positive thoughtsnegative splits!

• shamrockfroggie Rookie 82 posts since
    Mar 30, 2005
    7. Aug 24, 2006 12:27 AM (in response to kcwoodhead)

how is this different from eating normal plain yogurt that still has the cultures in it?  its cheaper and no sugar.

• muzicgrl Amateur 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Aug 24, 2006 12:39 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

shamrock: You are talking about the cultures used to make the yogurt, not probiotics (they are two different things).

1) Cultures used to make yogurt are most likely not probiotic strains
    2) The amounts of LIVE bacteria in yogurt generally are quite low...too low to be effective probiotics

Some yogurts are supplemented with probiotic bacteria on top of the bacteria used to actually make the yogurt, but that is not very common

• shamrockfroggie Rookie 82 posts since
    Mar 30, 2005
    9. Aug 24, 2006 1:59 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

okay, thanks for clearing that up.  i didn't know there was a difference  but cultures naturally found in yogurt are helpful to digestion too, aren't they, or at least for maintaining good bacteria?  i remember being told to eat yogurt when taking antibiotics for that reason

quote:

Originally posted by muzicgrl:

shamrock: You are talking about the cultures used to make the yogurt, not probiotics (they are two different things).

1) Cultures used to make yogurt are most likely not probiotic strains
    2) The amounts of LIVE bacteria in yogurt generally are quite low...too low to be effective probiotics

Some yogurts are supplemented with probiotic bacteria on top of the bacteria used to actually make the yogurt, but that is not very common

• annora Rookie 67 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    11. Aug 24, 2006 2:11 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

quote:

Originally posted by shamrockfroggie:

how is this different from eating normal plain yogurt that still has the cultures in it? its cheaper and no sugar.

from what i understand it isn't any different.  i read something about it yesterday...  i'll see if i can find a link.

• MandiSF Rookie 12 posts since
    Aug 4, 2006
    12. Aug 29, 2006 7:52 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)

Well, I don't know anything about the Dannon liquid shakes, but I did some research after hearing about Dannon Activia yogurt. Dannon has a PDF for "health professionals" that really spells out the function and purpose of probiotics in their yogurt, I found it muy interesante.  -mandi

http://www.activia.com/pdf/Act_scientific_summary.pdf[/URL" target="_blank">

• reboot Rookie 398 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Aug 30, 2006 7:29 AM (in response to kcwoodhead)

I think there are two issues here. The probiotics in Activia are designed to produce a healthy colon which may help conditions like Chrons, Colitis and IBS. I don't think it is designed to have any direct effect on regularity or easy BM.

I'm with the coffee group to get things moving in the morning but I suspect any hot drink would do the same thing. It is not surprising that running would make a person more regular. There must be a relationship between exercise and BM. Certainly a dog will find it necessary to have a BM shortly after he starts any active running and many runners will say the same thing. It is well known that individuals forced into inactivity due to illness or injury frequently become constipated.

----

gotta run...

• xieta Rookie 42 posts since
    Jan 25, 2005
    14. Aug 30, 2006 12:25 PM (in response to kcwoodhead)
    The best thing I've ever tried to make me more "regular" is eating a kiwi with breakfast and another one later in the day. It's like magic, 100% natural, full of vitamins... and it really works!

----

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...