Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2271 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2006 1:26 PM by veggierunner Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Ariann092 Rookie 680 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005

quote:

Originally posted by reboot:

You wish! Any perceived preference for vegetarian pizza is purely imaginary.

I'm sure part of this is location and class-based.  Among my (NJ/NY, middle-class) friends, where absolutely none of whom are vegetarian besides me, NOBODY eats meat pizza and EVERYONE wants to load on the veggies.  When I lived in Cleveland, I knew far more people who were willing to eat meat pizza and considered it "normal."  Meat on pizza was never considered normal in my home growing up, and I was pretty disgusted when I was first presented with it.  I imagine Pizza Hut and Domino's are not advertising to my circle of friends and family.  Besides which, we wouldn't eat chain pizza unless there were absolutely no other options, and I've never come across a lack of locally-owned pizzerias.

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

quote:

Originally posted by TrailOBite:

Grasshoppers were the worst, way worse than worms.

I like to wrap them in dandelion leaves, that way when the spit the tobacco juice, it doesn't go right on your tongue.

When I was in Mexico I had a tortilla with peppers, corn, cheese and crickets ... it was like a bug pizza.

Or a "crick-a-dilla."

[just to get back on topic]

• boosiebutt Rookie 101 posts since
    Jul 25, 2006

I go with straight cheese pizza every time.

You really want to keep me away from a pizza?  Try anchovy, olives and sauerkraut.  Eeesh.

• mlaliberte059 Rookie 13 posts since
    May 6, 2006

I'm an unrepentant meat-eater, but most of my favorite meals would be classified as vegetarian (eggplant parm, cereal with fruit, many veggie Indain and Thai dishes, hamburgers...oops  ).

Near the top of that list is veggie pizza for one simple reason, it's less greasy. Meat-topped pizzas are often too greasy for my taste, while most veggie ones are not. My favorite is broccoli, spinach and black olive white pizza (with some feta on it as well). Mmmmm...

[http://This message has been edited by mlaliberte (edited Sep-13-2006).|http://This message has been edited by mlaliberte (edited Sep-13-2006).]

• beefaroni071 Rookie 46 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

OMG can I just say..you're right on!!

I am a veggie from family of omnis (2 parents, 2 brothers). I always had to pick off pepperoni, sausage (YUCK) or whatever else they wanted on it...

Finally one day they decided to throw me a bone (how's that for irony) and ordered two pizzas...one w/meat, one w/veggies.

Wouldn't ya just know that by the end, all of the veggie pizza was gone and the meatzilla was leftover...so then they could have leftovers for lunch the next day and I was left with having to pick the meat off again.

GRRRRRR!! this still gets me mad ;p

[http://This message has been edited by beefaroni (edited Sep-13-2006).|http://This message has been edited by beefaroni (edited Sep-13-2006).]

• TrailOBite Rookie 358 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006

I see a dissertation in its infancy: The Class Distinctions of Pizza. It could be regional and national, and we can throw in religion and politics!

Just think of the excitement factor we have here! This region would not think of putting meat of pizza. Another eschews anchovies, etc, etc.....the possibilities are endless. Let us up the fish factor as well: smelt pizza might be good.

I have eaten pizza, when camping, that is four days old and never refrigerated. It just gets harder and better, and I cannot argue with that combination.

• RunMonkey Rookie 189 posts since
    Dec 7, 2005

My current pizza preference is white pizza, with pesto and feta cheese. I also like pineapple and sun-dried tomato. But I think there is something to the notion that there are cultural and regional implications, because I live in a very hippy dippy area here and rarely order meat on pizza, but when I'm visiting family in Buffalo we'll always get pepperoni or sausages.

I've never understood chicken or clams on pizza. Both seem kind of antithetical to the integrity of the pizza, but then, I used to find the idea of putting pineapple on it to be fairly disgusting as well.

I love anchovies, incidentally. Not necessarily on pizza, though, because they lose some structural integrity and they become almost dusty. Every once in a while I'll go for it, though.

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Buffalo Chicken Pizza: "Look, @sshole, if I wanted wings, I would have +asked +for wings."

Stuffed crust pizza: see above, except substitute "mozzarella sticks" for "wings"

Hawaiian Pizza: Spam and pineapple ... tastes like 18th Century Italian Missionaries.

• so in love Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 16, 2006

quote:

Originally posted by Augie:

Become vegan. When omnis see the pizza with no cheese, they stop for a minute with a deer-in-the-headlights expression, mutter, "THAT'S weird," and move right along to the standard veggie and meat pizzas. I rarely have competition.

Umm, hate to break it to ya but the bread contains EGGS so you an't no VEGAN!!

• TrailOBite Rookie 358 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006

Not so necessarily.....anything can be a pizza crust.It doesn't have to have eggs.

In Buffalo,we have wonderful pepperoni, It is made so that it cups and burns on the edges,as the pizza cooks. It makes for a lovely presentation. Other conventional pepperonis just stay flattened. The cup and burn pepperoni shrinks up a tad but burns on the edges. It is freaking fantastic!

I do love a good veggie or a mushroom pizza. Breakfast pizza, not for the vegan-ish, is also quite delicious.

• TexasRose Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I'm one of those omnivores that prefers the veggie pizza. Why? It tastes better and it's better for me! Not everyone who is willing to eat meat wants to eat grease-laden pepperoni and sausage.

Funny thing is, most people assume I'm veggie because I eat the veg options at catered events most of the time. I was once veggie and even vegan for a short while. Now I just try to be healthy and cut down on the processed food consumption.

Hail to the Greek Pizzas!

• LaTortuga13 Legend 1,786 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007

quote:

Originally posted by TrailOBite:

Breakfast pizza, not for the vegan-ish, is also quite delicious.

Isn't all pizza by definition Breakfast pizza?

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Just avoid pizza.

By the way, most mint candy contains animal products.

• LaTortuga13 Legend 1,786 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007

quote:

Originally posted by bigapplepie:

Just avoid pizza.

By the way, most mint candy contains animal products.

So does jello - and it tastes lousy on pizza

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...