Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1116 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2007 12:04 PM by spidergirl RSS
BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2007 3:13 PM

Post run hydration

My workouts have started to exceed the hour mark and it was suggested by a friend to look into a "replenishment" drink for post workout hydration.
I would like to stay away from any of the corn syrup or refined sugar drinks. Any suggestions for a guy on a budget?

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    1. Jul 10, 2007 3:19 PM (in response to BrettBH)
    Re: Post run hydration

There's plenty of good ones out there. They should include electrolytes to get you hydrated quickly again, protein to repair muscle tissue and complex carbs like maltodextrin.

Accelerade are being sold in some convenience stores.

• mtnchk1 Pro 286 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 10, 2007 3:37 PM (in response to BrettBH)

I'm still just using water.  doing 60 -  90mins daily runs or  as much as 180 interval/walk.  My amts of water have greatly increased! I carry more water w/me on long runs & I weigh myself before & after to see how much I still need to replace - but I haven't worried about the rest of it- I get plenty of sodium (& the other macronutrients) in my diet normally (not on a sodium restricted regimine) & if I'm craving salt (rarely) I eat a few pretzels.
    In reading some of the sports drink bottles, I feel that I would need to be running in excess of 3-5 hrs to need that much supplementation.  Just my thoughts for myself on it....

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 10, 2007 4:37 PM (in response to BrettBH)

I'm liking Gatorade AM.

quote:

Nearly 50% of exercisers aren't fully hydrated before their workout. For those athletes who exercise in the morning, there's Gatorade A.M.

Gatorade A.M. contains no caffeine and the same scientifically proven formula as Gatorade Thirst Quencher with flavors developed to appeal to you in the morning.

The Tropical-Mango flavor also makes a nice Gatorita Re: Post run hydration or Daiquirade Re: Post run hydration

----

Life is Short ... Make Fun of It.[/URL" target="_blank">

400 Beers[/URL" target="_blank">

• run2maureen3run Amateur 40 posts since
    Mar 10, 2006
    4. Jul 26, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to BrettBH)

I use Endurox. I do use WAY more water with the mixture, though, because it makes me nauseaous if I don't. It says 12-16 ounces of water for two heaping scoops. Now I fill my 32-ounce Nalgene bottle with the heaping scoops.

• Diesel88 Rookie 153 posts since
    Sep 1, 2004
    5. Dec 26, 2007 4:49 AM (in response to BrettBH)

If you want hydration on a budget, buy accelerade in the single serving packets (usually $1-2 each) and split one packet into 2 uses. You can also go to the bulk warhouse-style food stores or even online and get such items at a good discount (I would recommend avoiding the markup at convenience stores).

If you want recovery on a budget, chocolate milk has the recommended 4:1 carb / protein ratio (hope I didn't get that backwards!) as well as vitamins etc. to boot. If you need more carb & protein look to food sources post workout.

[http://This message has been edited by Diesel88 (edited Jul-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Diesel88 (edited Jul-26-2007).]

• reboot Rookie 398 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 26, 2007 4:49 AM (in response to BrettBH)

If you want hydration on a budget, try water, There is no better product for that purpose.

It is questionable whether you have to be concerned about electrolytes. Most people have way too much salt in their normal diet so, unless you are sweating profusely for a few hours, you probably don't have to be very concerned about electrolytes.

As for the other stuff in just about all recovery drinks, it has absolutely nothing to do with hydration and it is mostly sugars and/or starches in a form most people usually refer to as "empty calories". Totally unnecessary calories in the form of highly processed materials that will do absolutely nothing except make the manufacturer rich and you fat. Assuming you are going to have at least 24 hours off before being required to run again, eating/drinking any special recovery food will have zero effect on your recovery.

The tests that demonstrated the benefits of a recovery drink with a 4:1 carb to protein were done with trained athletes who exercised to near exhaustion then were asked to do it again 3 or 4 hours later. It is extremely unlikely such a drink would have any effect 24 hours later on casual athletes who were not exactly stressed to exhaustion.

----

gotta run...

[http://This message has been edited by reboot (edited Jul-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by reboot (edited Jul-26-2007).]

• spidergirl Rookie 72 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 27, 2007 12:04 PM (in response to BrettBH)

In my personal experience, sometimes I’ll get a headache in hot weather after a 1 1/2-2 hour workout if only drinking water. I’ve found that if I add some fruit juice (I usually use concord grape or pomegranate juice) and a bit of salt, I don’t get a headache afterwards. It tastes like a watered-down sports drink and isn’t nearly as sugary. Since you’re on a budget, that’s definitely a cheap way to go.

I also like Recharge sports drink and Ultima Replenisher (banana berry flavor is good — it’s a powdered electrolyte drink you mix with water).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...