Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20215 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 5:43 AM by OlderpersonyoungHeart RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • comet034 Rookie 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 26, 2007 5:21 AM (in response to Harper028)
    Re: Running shorts... immodest?

Re: Running shorts... immodest?Originally posted by wing zero:
    Is it just because I am young and my streamline runner's body threatens other males?

You're probably right about that. I've never had anyone who appears to be in good physical shape yell anything at me. Consider the source.

Does this happen to you older guys? I would like for it to end one day!

Not too often anymore, but I run pretty early in the AM when those guys are either still at work or are still passed out from the night before.

Hang in there. You'll live a lot longer than they will and you actually have a self esteem, unlike them.

[http://This message has been edited by comet (edited Aug-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by comet (edited Aug-06-2007).]

• urbansix Rookie 17 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    16. Aug 6, 2007 4:10 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by 4boysmom:

My shorts do pass the 'fingertip test'. But, I've posted my marathon photo and they commented on my 'Daisy Duke' shorts.

Sorry but I have to ask:  What exactly is the 'fingertip test' ...and how do you pass it?     I have to hope it's not what I'm imagining, but can't think of anything else

----

profile [/URL" target="_blank"> | blog[/URL" target="_blank">

• JonFrum Rookie 23 posts since
    Jul 13, 2007
    17. Aug 6, 2007 5:33 PM (in response to Harper028)

Since you posted this, those girls have probably told 30 people that you are a pervert freak. If you think that's a good thing, then keep wearing the shorts.

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    18. Aug 6, 2007 5:36 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by wing zero:

I wish it where more acceptable to wear skimpy running shorts. Maybe not at social events but during running itself.!!!
    Maybe it is just me (26y Male) but 1 out of every 5 runs that I do around town, someone driving by yells out, "fag" or "queer" ect... And here I was thinking that I looked cool in my running shorts and singlet.
    What is up with this? Why do ppl think runners are gay? All soccer, football, basketball players run.
    Is it just because I am young and my streamline runner's body threatens other males?
    Does this happen to you older guys? I would like for it to end one day!

My apologies in advance...but I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! I've never been called fag during a run but I can't imagine it's great for the ego. I also don't wear short shorts and wouldn't be caught dead in them even if they were more comfortable. A normal (socially acceptable) length of Asics or Brooks shorts are perfectly comfortable as far as I'm concerned.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Pain is temporary. Regret hurts forever."
    [URL=http://www.analytical-training.blogspot.com]

• ConfettiGirl Rookie 131 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Aug 6, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by urbansix:

Sorry but I have to ask:  What exactly is the 'fingertip test' ...and how do you pass it?      I have to hope it's not what I'm imagining, but can't think of anything else

And now I'm dying to know what you're imagining! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I think she means that when she stands with her arms at her sides, her shorts go past the point where the tips of her fingers touch her thighs.

As for the question at hand, I agree with those who say that they're called RaceReady for a reason.  I'd recommend looking into some BarbecueReady shorts for Sunday outings with the family.     (That said, I don't quite understand why about your running gear made them "uncomfortable."  If I was a little kid, I'd probably find my uncle's short shorts funny.  If I was a teenager, I'd probably find them embarrassing.  And after about age 17, I'd just think they weren't really appropriate for a family gathering.  Different strokes, I guess!) 

----

Sha-Bon-Bon![/URL" target="_blank">

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Aug 6, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to Harper028)

In my running group we call those skimpy shorts "nutters".  Any guy who shows up wearing them takes his lumps accordingly. 

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• Bugs34 Amateur 598 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Aug 6, 2007 5:52 PM (in response to Harper028)

As long as everything that is suppose to be covered is covered, and they are not the speedo types, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think fatty thighs should be covered, but if you've got good legs go for it.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,454 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Aug 6, 2007 6:00 PM (in response to Harper028)

Are we talking about the 1" inseams with the split sides here?

They are suitable for elite athletes, races and dirty old men only. They are definitely not suitable for social occasions.

I have one pair which I will only ever wear around the house, in the dark, for fear of seeing myself in the mirror.

• Bugs34 Amateur 598 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Aug 6, 2007 6:01 PM (in response to Harper028)

So are running shorts to short for the gym when your just lifting weights? I figured they have the panty liner, so I'd be OK.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,454 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Aug 6, 2007 6:10 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by Bugs34:

So are running shorts to short for the gym when your just lifting weights? I figured they have the panty liner, so I'd be OK.

If you post that question in a weight-lifting forum you'll get some interesting answers, none of them particularly positive.

• COcarrie Rookie 396 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    25. Aug 6, 2007 6:21 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by rochey:

In my running group we call those skimpy shorts "nutters".  Any guy who shows up wearing them takes his lumps accordingly. 

OK... THAT was the funniest thing I've read all day!

• 4boysmom Rookie 1,018 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    26. Aug 6, 2007 6:25 PM (in response to Harper028)

Yes, 'fingertip test' is arms at your side, shorts can be no shorter than your fingertips.  Just what did you think I meant?!

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Aug 6, 2007 7:42 PM (in response to Harper028)

I wear the longer Nike running shorts in the gym, but they don't have the split.  Otherwise, no.  Especially for a man.  

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• SockPuppeteer Rookie 12 posts since
    Jul 30, 2007
    28. Aug 6, 2007 9:30 PM (in response to Harper028)

I wouldn't care if anyone, regardless of age or weight, ran down the street clad only in well-fitted running shoes, socks, sunblock, and their birthday suit, and neither would most people in some communities where I have lived.  In fact, onlookers would be inclined to shout encouragement.  In other places, the cultural norm is to freak out over someone wearing a pair of running shorts.  You aren't going to get a useful answer to your question from people on a forum from a lot of different communities with a lot of different community standards.  What's "normal" where your nieces live?

• warriorgeek10 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 17, 2004
    29. Aug 6, 2007 11:33 PM (in response to Harper028)

I would say no to wearing them during a family gathering...at least the ones I'm imaging that my teammates wear. On my team (highschool), a few of the more elite runners wear them, but to me, you need to faster before you consider them.

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...