Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20228 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 5:43 AM by OlderpersonyoungHeart RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • JimBeam Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 29, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 7, 2007 12:13 AM (in response to Harper028)
    Re: Running shorts... immodest?

Obviously, you should consider what they say because they are family and you will see them in future get-togethers.  But keep in mind that each generation has their own opinion about fashion (I don't let the hip-hop generation influence my clothes, period)

IMO, your shorts must fit you correctly (i.e. not tight) and the occasion should have been appropriate.  And you have to be honest with yourself.  Maybe have someone your age critique you.

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Aug 7, 2007 6:29 AM (in response to Harper028)

It's all a matter of fashion. 

Look at some of the old TV shows and also pics from basketball games of time past - the shorts had about 4 inch inseams and men back then wouldn't be caught dead in the  long baggies that are worn today - they would be called the same kinds of names people in short shorts report being called now.  In fact, the very long baggy "shorts" worn by men today look exactly like the split skirts we women used to wear back then, and men certainly wouldn't wear skirts!  Men wore short shorts for hanging out, very short split shorts for running and speedos to the beach. Ohhh for the good old days...    !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

But times change and clothing that is out of the norm looks out of place, no matter whether you look good in it.  So, both Mr T and I both wear regular clothing shorts (not running wear) when we are at family affairs.  For that matter we keep our shortest split running shorts for races and wear  a little longer running shorts for running on our local streets (the 4 inch inseams - definitely not the ridiculous baggies) and for the gym as well.

• Girl In Motion Amateur 253 posts since
    Feb 4, 2007
    32. Aug 7, 2007 7:37 AM (in response to Harper028)

I'm not a fan of baggie shorts either, but short shorts on guys (if not racing)?  Reminds me of Reno 911, so I can understand your nieces reactions.

• JimBeam Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 29, 2006
    34. Aug 7, 2007 9:08 AM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by maryt:

For that matter we keep our shortest split running shorts for races and wear a little longer running shorts for running on our local streets (the 4 inch inseams - definitely not the ridiculous baggies) and for the gym as well.

I wear my short running shorts at the gym too.  I'm more about being practical.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,454 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. Aug 7, 2007 11:13 AM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by Harper:

I wore the shorts primarily because it was an informal family get-together. It was hot and sunny and humid outside, and we were constantly switching between being indoors and outdoors, in the car and out of the car. When we went out to dinner, I put pants on.

But the children. Think of the children.

• Runner1967 Rookie 45 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Aug 7, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to Harper028)

I find this thread entirely amusing.

I wouldn't wear the running shorts around my nieces unless we were running. Period. And I wouldn't wear my cargo shorts running, unless being chased. Perhaps by my nieces with squirt guns.

I wear running shorts to, um, run. No other purpose ever actually came to mind. As for the people who say certain shorts are only for "elite" runners, tell me how the clothing manufacturers ever get that business model to work if that was the target audience?!?!? I have several shorts of varying lengths and materials. I usually wear whatever is appropriate for the weather I'll be running in.

Now if your fat a$$ is hanging out the back, find something else. It's like those "people" who think spandex and skiing are good combinations. . . when they weigh, well, a lot. Brrr... I shiver at the thought.

To the guy who suggested having a panty liner in his shorts while lifting weights... dude... don't ever write that down (let alone say it in public) again....

• OnlyWhnChasd038 Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Aug 7, 2007 2:13 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by Runner1967:

To the guy who suggested having a panty liner in his shorts while lifting weights... dude... don't ever write that down (let alone say it in public) again....

<snort> Oh. My. God. I am rolling here! 

Fortunately Bugs is female so she can say "panty liner" if she wants. I think it's much funnier to think of a dude saying that though. Thanks for the laugh!

• Ken Camet Rookie 76 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Aug 7, 2007 5:05 PM (in response to Harper028)

Funny thread!  I have shorts that are from when I first started running 15 years ago all the way through to shorts just bought.  I can't bring myself to even go out in the ones from 15 years ago, and at the time they werent even racing shorts.  Shorts that I used to consider 'baggies' are now minimally acceptable length.  Social norms change and you change with them or risk the consequences.

• jcapozzoli99 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Aug 7, 2007 9:31 PM (in response to Harper028)

If you were at my Italian family get together in a pair of peanut huggers, you would have been thoroughly embarassed and asked to leave.

It's for that reason I wear the longest shorts possible that don't impede my running, preferably just above the knee. I would be petrified if someone I knew saw me in skimpy shorts. It was bad enough having to wear them in high school when I had no choice.

Now I have the choice, and I choose to not look like a creepy old guy with no fashion sense.

• cat4917 Rookie 89 posts since
    Dec 31, 2004
    40. Aug 8, 2007 11:07 AM (in response to Harper028)

In my book, the simple answer is, if young ladies in your family are embarrassed, choose a different outfit.

• Jaybirdzx2ner Rookie 58 posts since
    Jun 14, 2006
    41. Aug 8, 2007 11:17 AM (in response to Harper028)

They are gross to see on a runner in action let alone to wear at a social gathering.

----

Running is just who I am.
    My Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Aug 8, 2007 11:47 AM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybirdzx2ner:

They are gross to see on a runner in action let alone to wear at a social gathering.

Hold up. Huh? Running shorts are gross to see on a runner running?

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• GOLFNSKI Rookie 104 posts since
    Oct 28, 2007
    43. Aug 9, 2007 1:18 AM (in response to Harper028)

Hilarious! 

I was forced to 86 all my shorts purchased prior to 1999.  My kids were threatening to burn the house down.  Only 9” inseams for me now.  It was strange at first, but I’ve grown to like them better.  No riding up.  I still use my RaceReady 6” LD shorts on long runs/races for the Gu stashes.  Roll with the changes.  Short shorts are indecent today.

• rnrrob Rookie 20 posts since
    May 5, 2005
    44. Aug 9, 2007 10:57 AM (in response to Harper028)

I am sorry I don't think it is possible to justify wearing short shorts at a social function no matter how comfortable they are.  My guess is that your nieces were more alarmed at your decision to wear them to a social gathering than at the length of the shorts.  They probably thought you stuck out because of your outfit choice.   Did anyone else wear anything similar to the function?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...