Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20240 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 5:43 AM by OlderpersonyoungHeart RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • JoeInTX Legend 1,767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Aug 7, 2009 7:37 AM (in response to SWrunsea)
    Re: Running shorts... immodest?

SWrunsea wrote:

I am around male runners alot, some wearing split running shorts; which I also wear, all the time.  I think we just don't think what is being exposed at times.  Granted, the shorts have a liner in them.  When It comes to stitting in those shorts, somtimes the male jewels like to pop out. 

Could be the liner is too worn out.   Or the size of the prize could have something to do with it also.

Wouldn't happen with compression shorts/tights.

• MeganRoot Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    76. Aug 9, 2009 10:59 AM (in response to Who Dey010)

LOL - Please do wear the speedo, that would be hilarious!  I'm torn on this one - maybe running shorts are too casual for your family, or maybe your family is too conservative for you.  Sounds like you know what you need to do to appease the family, but for the rest of us, please post a photo of you in the Speedo if you decide to go for it!

Megan

"If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, keep moving." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • OlderpersonyoungHeart Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2012
    77. Dec 28, 2012 5:28 AM (in response to Harper028)

I predicted this day and sometimes I hate being right. When I was in my teens in the U.K. wearing running shorts nearly anywhere would not have got a second glance or comment it was simply the norm.  I grew up wearing short shorts so to me and everyone around me it was simply as normal as wearing the half trousers the young wear today. I was at a pop concert in 1972 and one of my friends was on stage wearing a pair of long shorts just for a laugh and that's what he got, laughed at; why, because no one wore shorts like that at that time.

Then came the scourge of the half trouser and the half tanned leg. I hated them when they first came in; and as the style refused to change I predicted that these would become the norm.  Ten, fifteen, twenty years went past and still no change in the half trouser fashion, for that's what it is a fashion.  Till the time came that if you wore short shorts you were looked upon as being gay -my wife will tell you otherwise.  I had never seen a trend/fashion last so long and I  continued to wear short shorts simply to exercise my Human right to do so fearing we men might lose the social acceptance or even the legal right to do so which is sadly the way things seem to be going. I also began to realize after one young girl said to her mother; "why is that man wearing only his underwear" that it was becoming a moral issue and youngsters -far from my experience of normality- saw half trousers (I refuse to call them shorts) as the norm and anything less as underwear, hence your young relatives uneasiness.  I thought it was an insidious way to get the male population to conform to someones standards or groups standards or by careful social engineering to get them to adopt it as standard -who knows?  The one thing I do know is it is not a natural fashion trend and men have been fooled into thinking that to be masculine they have to wear half trousers further underlined by (no offence to them) the fact it is seen as at least in England as a gay thing for a man to wear short shorts. I can remember men wearing short shorts when it was illegal to be gay!  The thing real men should be doing insted of going along with this imposition imposed upon them now as it would seem more than ever by females is to wear shorts as short as women are now wearing: and if challenged point out the above facts and call the person male or female sexist because that is what they are at least in today's New Speak.  I myself can accuse them of being ageist and sexist. The real danger is that if we don't fight for our rights one day when we go out to enjoy the comfort factor of our shorts we may be arested at best for inapropriate behaviour and at worst indecent exposure  because it makes females feel uneasy, whereas if it were the norm like it used to be it would bother no-one. 

You wear your shorts and do not let anyone turn you into a sheep like the rest of them if they are comfortable why should anyone have the right to interfere with that!  If they don't like the sight they don't need to look at you but I suggest they lead sheltered and shallow lives if something so trivial bothers them.  The more men wear short shorts the more acceptable it will become and vice versa.

• phangthanh Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 28, 2012
    78. Dec 28, 2012 5:35 AM (in response to Harper028)
    Running shorts... immodest?

true story !! LOL

• OlderpersonyoungHeart Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2012
    79. Jan 1, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to phangthanh)

Forgive me if I am wrong but does your reply suggest my reply was made up? IF it was your intent then let me assure you every word is true.  There is plenty of evidence: old movies etc. you will see the fashion then or some 70,s early 80's  tennis matches or the shorts worn by 60's/70's/80's footbalers and runners. There is also a post on here that has pictures to prove what I say if you care to read them. The youth of my day lived in a much freer society we did not have wall to wall brainwashing devices like 24/7 tv telling us what to think or feel all before we were five years old or I phones to track our every move.  The lifestyle then was much more carefree, employment at least in the UK was readily available, not like the Totalitarian nightmare we now live in and, that was reflected by fashion and attitudes to it: i.e. short shorts Did Not Mean You Were Gay!!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...