Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9274 Views 90 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2009 9:02 AM by Cruns4fun Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Cruns4fun Amateur 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jan 10, 2009 9:02 AM (in response to qwestman)
    Re: walk breaks on long runs

I am a newbie, so take it for what it is worth.  I hope to be where all of you long distance runners are some day.  I never thought I could be a runner until a friend of mine engaged me in the sport.  She wanted someone to enter a 5K with her so she wouldn't do it alone.  I only had a month to train and had NEVER run before.  I bring this up because she had been running for about a year before asking me to enter the 5K.  The day of the race her sister came too (she had never run is very heavy and did not train with us).  So off we go . . . shortly into the race her sister was, of course, out of breath.  So, she started to slow down and walk.  My friends goal was to run the entire 5K, so I slowed down and walked a bit with her sister, then started running again when I knew her sister was ok.  Long story short, my friend who ran the whole thing was only 10 seconds faster than me (I took 2 very short walk breaks).  I know what you are thinking "walk breaks in a 5K!! OMG!"  BUT FOR NEWBIES IT HELPS!  I think most of the posts that say "do what is best for you" are the correct answer.  I also think that if you are an elite runner and can run long with no breaks HALLELUJAH!  Hopefully those of us that walk breaks work for will be in your running shoes one day .  No need to beat walk breaks into the ground, I think they have a time and place for some people.  Hopefully I grow out of them.  Heck, right now I am excited when I can run for one and a half to two miles without a walk break!!!  Happy Running!

First 5K: Runapolozza March 4, 2007 32:27 (no running history at all before entering, started running 1 month before event)

Started Running again 1/3/09

Next 5K March 15, 2009

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...