Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15124 Views 42 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2008 5:42 PM by Back in the Saddle RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • liebling Rookie 39 posts since
    Aug 26, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 26, 2007 6:00 AM (in response to kaitlingarrett)
    Re: my first marathon and pregnant?

Hey, Kaitlin,

Congrats on your pregnancy! After reading and re-reading all the posts, I think you know what to do. In fact, I'll bet that you knew what you were going to do way before you posted this.

My only detailed comment would be from the "not an ob/gyn" who said that your doctor is the only person qualified to evaluate your risk. I would modify that and say that since it is NOT your doctor's baby, YOU are truly the only one, the final one, even more than your husband, who will make the final evaluation of your ability to run safely or not and YOU are the one who will reap or regret the outcome.

You sound like a smart woman, mother, runner. Have faith in yourself, your gut feeling, and your decisions and the ability to live with them and you WILL make the right choice–for YOU. We all make choices everyday, some minor, some major.

Very best of luck,
    Liebling

[http://This message has been edited by liebling (edited Sep-09-2007).|http://This message has been edited by liebling (edited Sep-09-2007).]

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Sep 9, 2007 5:53 PM (in response to kaitlingarrett)

No one's treating you like a monster.

I ran throughout my entire pregnancy...even the day before I was induced. I've also run a full marathon. Having done both now, in a million years I'd never run a full marathon while pregnant. A marathon is such a different animal than any other running event. You have numerous opportunities to run a marathon, but you only have 40 weeks to do everything within your control to deliver a healthy baby. I just don't see how it would be worth even a .001% risk.

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• saw339 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2007
    39. Sep 10, 2007 9:29 AM (in response to kaitlingarrett)

I am so glad I found your post - I have been wondering the same thing and it was interesting to read everyone's responses.  My husband and I have been trying to conceive since March and we are training for the Chicago marathon in early October.  I am not pregnant but am debating whether we need to take this month off from TTC so that it doesn't jeopardize me running the race.  Part of me wants to still try and run anyway since I wouldn't even be a few weeks along by that time if we did conceive, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.  It just kills me to skip even a month of trying, I want to be pg so badly.  I think for me, that's the only answer, though, as I really wouldn't want to take any chances.

Best of luck with your decision and thanks for the post!

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Sep 11, 2007 6:35 AM (in response to kaitlingarrett)

quote:

Originally posted by saw339:

I am so glad I found your post - I have been wondering the same thing and it was interesting to read everyone's responses. My husband and I have been trying to conceive since March and we are training for the Chicago marathon in early October. I am not pregnant but am debating whether we need to take this month off from TTC so that it doesn't jeopardize me running the race. Part of me wants to still try and run anyway since I wouldn't even be a few weeks along by that time if we did conceive, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. It just kills me to skip even a month of trying, I want to be pg so badly. I think for me, that's the only answer, though, as I really wouldn't want to take any chances.

Best of luck with your decision and thanks for the post!

saw
    Early October is not that far away, so why not go for the marathon now, but then cut back considerably on your running afterwards to try to conceive.  Those same stress hormones (cortisol in particular) that can cause problems if elevated during a pregnancy, can also prevent ovulation and/or implantation.  Women certainly have become pregnant while marathon training as kaitlin can attest, but if you are having dificulty, cutting back on the training could make the difference.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    42. Sep 8, 2008 5:42 PM (in response to kaitlingarrett)

Go for it! I sat down with my OB and two nurse-midwives. All of them said just do an easy run (no PR), pace myself, and listen to my body.  I ran a marathon 5 weeks pregnant and I'm planning on running this next one at 28 weeks pregnant. If you are already used to running, it should be no big deal. You may or may not have pregnancy issues like nausea or low blood sugar that can sideline you temporarily - but the benefit that you are doing to your unborn child by excercising should keep you motivated to stick it out until you can't anymore (like when labor begins).

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...