Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1804 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2007 7:19 AM by bowulf RSS
joedadd Pro 122 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2007 10:36 AM

ITBS and a half marathon in one month. Help

For the past 2 weeks, I've been experiencing weakness (causing a limp) and a bit of pain on the outside of my right knee when I get to about the 3 to 4 mile mark. I believe it is ITBS. It usually clears up the next day. I had a long run of 11 miles one month ago, followed by "long runs" of 6 miles the following 2 weeks. This past weekend, i could only complete 3 miles due to the ITBS. I really want to run my first half marathon (Philly) in one month (just to complete, not to compete). The course is said to be very flat. I feel I am aerobically fit enough to finish it but am concerned about my knee. Does one month give me enough time to recover and adequately prepare for the half marathon? Any ideas on treating between now and then?

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• huskydon Legend 313 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    1. Oct 15, 2007 12:22 PM (in response to joedadd)
    Re: ITBS and a half marathon in one month. Help

Hi,

Last year, I came down with ITBS three weeks before my half marathon. I scaled my running back by a lot (down to 12, then 8 and then 2 miles a week) hoping that the ITBS would go away and that I wouldn't lose too much fitness.

During the race, I was good for about 6 miles, then in moderate pain the rest of the way. I had a good race, probably losing five minutes or so. After the race, I essentially took a month off and then was able to train at a low level 10-15 mpw.

It would be good to confirm if it is ITBS. If you have been training awhile, and you are running just to finish, I sort of guess that you would have enough fitness to finish. It is very hard to say whether you can recover from the ITBS in time.

Here are some things that helped me:
    - taking smaller steps while running
    - a more neutral shoe
    - icing of the knee before and after
    - a "patt" strap
    - running on a different route
    - running using a slightly different motion (I had been more or less shuffling)
    - less mileage (of course!)
    - stretching before and during the run

The patt strap probably provided the most improvement for me (although it doesn't work for everyone). Some of the theory says that the ITB is rubbing against some bone in your leg, causing pain, and so if you can alter your motion, then the rubbing (and the pain) will not occure. The patt band is supposed to restrict movement of the ITB also stopping the rubbing.

I certainly wish you the best. I would say that you have to weigh the possibility of further injury if you do run the HM. If I had not run mine, I would have recovered a certain number of weeks earlier but I chose to do so (partly because I already registered and paid my money).

huskydon

• mayfield017 Rookie 75 posts since
    Oct 12, 2005
    3. Oct 15, 2007 1:46 PM (in response to joedadd)

This happened to me to, a few years back. I found ART (active release therapy) to be really helpful, plus the patt strap, foam roller (I did it before and after running and also in the evening), the usual IT band stretches and better overall stretching/warmup/cooldown habits in general. The patt strap allowed me to continue training...but I never ran through acute, gait changing pain. Also, after the ART sessions, I usually had some inflammation and waited 48 hours before running again. The half went fine. i think it also depends on what initially has caused your flare up and if you can fix that problem..my IT band was injured during the downhill portions of a super steep trail run, so I had to learn how to run downhill properly. Best of luck to you!

• Jarhead0351 Rookie 52 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 15, 2007 3:42 PM (in response to joedadd)

I came down with ITBS while training for a Spring marathon.  I actually ran a 1/2 marathon the next weekend after being diagnosed...but that's another story.

My opinion is yes, you can run a 1/2 mary in a month no problem. My advice is to powerwalk your workouts for the next two weeks (a true test of your patience), lots of stretching, lots of icing, and a little faith. Foam rollers work good for breaking up some of that scar tissue.

Good luck!!

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 15, 2007 3:46 PM (in response to joedadd)

Find a rolfer and get rolfed a.s.a.p

• tcrevois Rookie 69 posts since
    Jul 30, 2007
    6. Oct 15, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to joedadd)

agree w/ roller and rolf.
    i had itbs for several months because every time i thought i had it beat i'd run on it and it'd come back... just a big loop of frustration.
    i tried icing it- resting it (for a month plus w/ no running)... stretching... nothing worked until i got a foam roller and, literally, w/i a week or 2 of getting on that roller 1-2 times a day it was all gone.
    Then i got it in my other knee and I rolled and a couple weeks later it was gone again. Now its' been 6 months w/ no problems (knock on wood).
    I never got "rolf'd" but imagine it'd work as it's the same principle as the roller, right?

• msvaughan038 Rookie 34 posts since
    Oct 2, 2006
    7. Oct 16, 2007 9:57 AM (in response to joedadd)

Search this forum for the foam roller, it saved my full marathon this past March. I love the foam roller and it worked extremely well for me. I helped to stretch it out and I was fine after a couple weeks of using it.

• garys070 Rookie 23 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 16, 2007 4:04 PM (in response to joedadd)

If you look around the web you'll find stuff that suggests that strengthening your hip muscles will alleviate itbs.

Try this:
    http://www.bodyresults.com/E2gluteusMedius.asp[/URL" target="_blank">

• bowulf Rookie 99 posts since
    Nov 30, 2005
    9. Oct 17, 2007 7:19 AM (in response to joedadd)

I was hit with a major ITBS attack about two weeks before my upcoming marathon.  I went to a sports PT.  He had me doing three stretches to lengthen the band and loosen the hip.  He also had me ice less than I had been (down to 10 minutes per 2-3 hours following running).  Within one week, my knee was good and I was back running 8 miles.  Recent running has been completely pain free.  My marathon is in 4 days, and he is confident the knee is ready to go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...