Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2524 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2006 8:11 PM by pegasus95
helminger Amateur 17 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2006 2:43 PM

ironman training and sleep

i'm doing my first ironman this september (first triathlon for that matter) and currently, my training volumes are relatively high. i'm taking in anywhere from 3800-5000 calories/day, eating probably every 2 hours. i find, however, that my sleep patterns have not be good. i used to be a very sound sleeper - in bed by midnight, up at 5:30 - no problem, no waking up. now, i find myself waking up at least once, if not twice each night. my heartrate is high and i'm sweating a little bit.

any thoughts? i don't feel like i'm overtraining. i know i'm hungry most of the time when i wake up, so i eat, but that doesn't explain the heartrate issue.

thanks,

mike

• shornke Pro 138 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 4, 2006 4:07 PM (in response to helminger)
    Re: ironman training and sleep

Hi Helminger,

increased heartrate is an almost sure sign of overtraining.

Make sure you get sufficient rest. And a lot of sleep (at least 8hrs).

I have just finished my first triathlon ever(Ironman Brasil), and it is not as hard as everyone believes.

Good luck in yours & LIVESTRONG

Stefan

• ImTrying Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 5, 2006 8:10 PM (in response to helminger)

I would think over training as well.  The heartrate is always a true sign.  Do you have any recovery workouts built into your training schedule? If not I would put a week of easier workouts and see if it will bring your heartrate back down and then you can build up again.  You really need to have recovery time so the body can adjust to the higher volume.  Goods luck on your tri-

• pegasus95 Pro 68 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 5, 2006 8:11 PM (in response to helminger)

You have been overtraining for quite sometime.  If you are waking up with elevated heartrate and sweays, you have been exceeding your max heart rate for too long and are going to damage your cardio system if you continue at this pace.  I would recommend you take a week off of the hard training and do some base work for about two weeks.  If you don't you can go into muscle deterioration. Not Good.  Also, if I had to guess I would say you may be irritable as well.  You have now become psychologically dependent on your training.  THis can be very bad for your body.  Take a vacation and relax for a little bit.  If you feel depressed when you miss a session, then seek professional help.  I know this sounds judgemental, but trust me, this is for your own good.  I knew a guy who overtrained all the time, and now he has passed away.  He died while running training for his 200th plus marathon in an 8 yr period.  He developed megalocardia.  This is a condition where the heart when overtaxed for a long period of time caused the heart walls to thicken and the heart to enlarge, until eventually there isn't enough room for proper bloodflow, and also, not enough room for the heart in the chest cavity, resulting in a massive heart attack, and the damage is usually irreversible, as well as the heart attack being untratable.  Pleae, Slow down for just a little bit and let your heart and body heal itself.

I care about every athlete, and we don't need to lose another person to such an easily preventable condition.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...