Skip navigation

5575 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2006 4:13 PM by jenhirr RSS 1 2 Previous Next
jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2006 8:11 AM

mom of four needs a training schedule

I have four kids ages 9 months to seven years old.  I am an average athlete with more potential if I had more time and energy to put into it.  My problem is that I am training for a half marathon and both a sprint and olympic distance tri.  How do you train for a long race and a short fast race?  How can I get all those workouts done. (in the most efficient way)  I've been doing weights all winter with a little bit of cardio but now I'm trying to hit the streets (3 days a week) as well as swim twice a week.  I still haven't touched my road bike yet and that's where I need the most help but by the time I get done with my running (focusing on building up miles for the 1/2)  I have to go home to get kids on the school bus and husband off to work.  Is one long bike ride a week even helpful at all? Any ideas?

• rebecca41 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 30, 2006 9:19 AM (in response to jenhirr)
    Re: mom of four needs a training schedule

Hi,

I have a large family also...it sounds like you really need to get a fluid trainer (holds the back wheel of your bike in place and lets it spin), and get some Spinervals DVDS.  This is the best way to get your bike training done indoors at home and fast.  It is very efficient and you will be stronger and faster.  www.spinervals.com   You can find fluid trainers at many stores from 100 to 300 dollars.

Becky

• shornke Pro 138 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 30, 2006 10:55 AM (in response to jenhirr)

Greetings,

I do strongly disagree with the opinion of training on a stationary bike.

Aside from being utterly boring and frustrating, the workout is totally different from cycling on the road. On the stationary you don't train bike handling skills, body posture (read aerodynamics), cornering skills etc. So get on the road!. The stationary is for winter training.

Just as with running, I would focus on having one long bike ride a week for endurance, as well as at least one short (e.g. 1h) intervall session to build up speed.

As for training for both a short, fast and a long, slower race at once, this is quite contradictory. I would suggest to focus on the endurance for the long race, since this usually the thing you want to have first. Thereafter try to build up speed.

LIVESTRONG

Stefan

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 30, 2006 11:04 AM (in response to jenhirr)

dad w/ 2 kids 7 months and 3 yrs. riding outside would be great but time constraints make me ride the trainer a lot before everyone wakes up or after they go to sleep. spinervals do indeed rock you might find some cheap on ebay. long slow distance runs and rides on the weekends are key build them up slowly over time something like 10% increase every week.  as for planning your season which races is most important and how far apart are they? then build your training around them

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 31, 2006 6:22 AM (in response to jenhirr)
    Also look at a double jogging stroller

and take the kids for some runs pack lots of food, drinks and small thing to keep them occupied OR maybe run at the track and they can play in the infield

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

Jul 9, 2007
    7. Mar 31, 2006 7:40 AM (in response to jenhirr)
    I think that's great

I occassionaly ride w/ my 3yr old on the backseat of an old 10 speed.  Is it an ideal workout? no. but we've got the job of juggling caring for them, the house, work, and training.  This way I get a workout in, lil' Thomas gets to go play w/ dad and he loves the bike, Mom gets a small break and doesn't resent my training as much, and when I ride w/o thomas I feel like I'm flying.  If the Mtn bike fits you ok and is in good working order I say go w/ it.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Mar 31, 2006 7:41 AM (in response to jenhirr)

PS try a spinervals they are not boring Coach Troy is the devil and provides a tough 45-60 min workout. definitely not boring.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• robb81314 Amateur 25 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Apr 7, 2006 2:58 PM (in response to jenhirr)

Congratulations for staying with it. After the litle ones came along, I gave up tri's for several years. It just didn't seem right to be gone at work all week and then take off again Sat and Sun mornings to train, race and have fun and come home dead tired. I'm glad you are able  to balance everything.

Robb

• defarris Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Apr 17, 2006 10:21 AM (in response to jenhirr)

I am a Dad with a 9 month old on my lap and 3 year old in the play room. One of the best things I found is making runs and rides include them. Using a double jogger, I run some and include a stop at a playground in the last 1/4 of the workout. The Youngest is asleep and the oldest can go play. I do the same thing with a bike trailer. Plus that makes a great strength workout.

Don't know what I would do with four kids? More power to you!

• mlanger4 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Apr 17, 2006 1:33 PM (in response to jenhirr)

I'm a single mom with 2 kids - my youngest just turned 5 and my oldest is 7 - working 3 jobs and juggling it all isn't easy, however, I did manage to start doing tris about 4 years ago and have completed 2 Ironman distance races in the last 2 years.  Talk about your kids seeing you in a different light - now my kids want to know why they don't call it IronWoman instead of Ironman. 

I have a few suggestions...Not sure if this would help but it is a thought.  The gym I belong to provides childcare free of charge - you get 2 hours per day which is a nice break for you and it also allows the kids to interact with other kids.  I used to hate the idea but then realized that my kids needed the break as much as I did plus we usually go swimming in the club pool when I'm done so that's a special treat.  During the months when you train more which is the summer, see if you can hook up with other people that do triathlons or marathons that have kids.  The group I'm part of is awesome because we get together to ride and have one or two of the older kids watch the smaller ones - works out well and it a bit more economical too.  Just a few suggestions. 

It is hard sometimes but don't give up - your kids will love you for it!  Good Luck!

• mariannepark Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Apr 21, 2006 11:20 AM (in response to jenhirr)

I don't normally respond to these but I have five children ages 17 to 4 so I know your pain!  in trying to find time to train.  First of all, prioritize your three races (refer to Joe Friel's Triathlete tng Bible), which one is really the most important... and maybe the sprint gets you in shape for the olympic distance and what is their timeline...  2.  Trade with a friend or put in preschool etc to get childcare for the children at school if for a just a few hours to get in the long bike ride... (I use preschool times to run long and/or bike) 3.  Get up real early for run/swim, just as early as you can and if your husband can team with you on bfast for the kids until you return  (I swim 5:30 - 6:30 or run between those times.  I did not used to be an early riser but my desire to train forced me to!!  4.  If financially possible, join a gym and use their childcare to weight train, swim or use treadmill or stationary bike -- not my favorite but the childcare is useful  5.  I use my local track and my youngest are used to the drill by me packing snacks, etc while I run, I have also done the same thing by me running at the soccer field where I can still see them by me running around in circles!  6.  Hire a teenager... I have some in my household, but the cost of babysitting would be worth getting in 2 hrs of focused tng  7.  Our children/family come first but my training times are special and a gift from God.  Doing the above I have been able to complete three marathons and three triathlons!  Good luck to you.  Marianne

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...