Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

93211 Views 564 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 10:31 AM by firstcampgirl RSS Go to original post 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38 Previous Next
  • Meghan_D Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 3, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    495. Jul 22, 2008 1:20 PM (in response to Trencita)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

I know of 2 people who have had successful outcomes of MN, one with surgery, one without.  First, my podiatrist.  She had an MN in each foot, had surgery on one, and treated the other by changing her footwear.  As far as I know, she has not had a problem since.  In fact, the first time I saw her she was wearing heels -- low heels, with a wide toe-box, but still, heels.  Second, a woman I work with developed an MN when she was in her teens.  I think she had alcohol injections, then altered her footwear for a few years.  Now, in her late thirties, she wears high heels constantly (and she's on her feet most of the day), and runs 1/2 marathons.  She says she hasn't had any problems in years, although she continues to wear orthotics in her running shoes. 

Also, my pod told me that it's possible my MN will go away if I don't aggravate it.  So far I haven't had a problem, knock wood. 

• mogome Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 4, 2008

I am new to this thread.  I have been diagnosed with MN and have had 2 cortisone shots and now have custom orthodics.  Ortho's work but can't wear with all shoes, just my New Balance's.  I am due to start alcholol shots next week.  How painful are these??  And what can I expect days after the shot.  Can I walk on foot or not?

Thank you.

Mogome

• cotten2008 Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    497. Aug 5, 2008 5:29 PM (in response to mogome)

Welcome... sorry you are here... if you know what I mean.

I didn't find the alcohol shots to be much more painful than cortizone... with cortizone you have a big ball of fliud under your foot... with alcohol, it isn't as bad.  You can walk on your foot (at least I could with my orthotics)... my MN went away until it was time for the next shot.... that is something you might look forward to.  Some say the shots are too painful... they are better than surgery.... that is what I kept telling myself.  (PS - I ended up having surgery and would advise to try cryo before you decide that - if you get that far).

What kind of New Balances do you wear?

Aug 4, 2008
    498. Aug 5, 2008 5:57 PM (in response to cotten2008)

Hello...  My pod sent me to a shoe store who specialize in fitting shoes for neuroma.  I bought New Balance  844.  I had to buy quite a bit longer shoes so ortho's would fit.  I had to have pod adjust my ortho's twice so they didn't cut into painful area.  I have one pair of OLD sandals (brand name is Foot Cradles) that are the only other shoes that are comfortable.  But haven't been able to find that brand anymore.  I hope alcohol shots work, because I hate the idea of surgery..  My pod suggested I try everything else but surgery.  Why I don't know.  Hope it doesn't come to this.  I think my neuroma started last fall when I was painted trim near ceiling and was reaching up-standing on tiptoe to reach.  Kept putting off going to Dr.  Thought it would all get better,  haha.

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    499. Aug 6, 2008 2:36 AM (in response to mogome)

I am sorry that you are here also!  I had 7 alcohol shots approximately starting 1 year ago, they were every 2 weeks.  I got used to the shot, but it was painful to begin with.  He went through the top of my foot, where he could feel the neuroma.  My foot would swell up each time.  If you can get through it, I am now able to run again.  Not everyday, but every other day with biking in between.  If you are allowed to wear flip flops when you work (I can only do this during the summer because I work at a school), I have found the Fit Flops to be the most comfortable flip flop for me.  They have plenty of support.  I still cannot wear enclosed shoes because I do have bunions also, but I have found the brand Sofft to be the most comfortable dress sandal for me.

Good luck!!

Aug 4, 2008
    500. Aug 7, 2008 1:19 PM (in response to ShelleyM073)

Thanks for the information about Sofft sandals.  I checked out the web site and they look good.  I have a long narrow foot so need narrows( which they come in), but still need to watch that they have wide toe box.  Have you or anyone you know ever wore Aravon by New  Balance?  They also have sandals and they have a removable insole so ortho's can be used.  My pod told me about them  I'll let everyopne know after Wednesday my  first alcohol injection if I live through.  Sure hope they help.  My pod said I probably wouldn't have any relief at all from first one and maybe not until third.

Thank you again.

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    501. Aug 8, 2008 3:25 AM (in response to mogome)

Yes, I do have a friend with PF that wears the Aravon shoes.  She swears by them.  As far as the Sofft brand goes, the one model I wear is Paley.  You can go to their website to see what it looks like.  I bought mine at a discount at DSW, and 6pm.com.

Aug 4, 2008
    502. Aug 8, 2008 6:30 AM (in response to ShelleyM073)

Thank you so much for all your information and help.  I  love shoes and I was ready to give all mine away to my daughter (who wears same size) but pod said  "Oh No.  I'll get you back to wearing them".  Was sad to think I would never wear them again.  Thanks again.  Good luck to you.

• fargogirl Rookie 11 posts since
    May 19, 2007
    503. Aug 8, 2008 7:33 AM (in response to mogome)

The alcohol injections for me weren't quite as bad as the cortisone shot.  The cortisone shot was excrutiatingly painful for me, I was terrified to begin the alcohol injections.  I had 7 alcohol injections and while they certainly made me grimace it wasn't as bad.  I took it a little easy the day I had each shot but then was fine the next day.  Unfortunately, the alcohol injections helped a bit for awhile but my neuroma is back.  Good luck!

Aug 4, 2008
    504. Aug 8, 2008 8:55 AM (in response to fargogirl)

What is your next step?  My last cortisone shot  seems to have help some.  I am planning on starting alcohol shots Wednesday.  Wish me luck.  I'm not afraid of needles--just afraid of him getting close to nerve which he told me he has to do.  That should smart.  I am also thinking of cutting me a hole out of some house shoes under the neuroma to see if that helps.  Have you or anyone else  tried that?  Sure can't go barefoot in house or wear flat house shoes.

• fargogirl Rookie 11 posts since
    May 19, 2007
    505. Aug 8, 2008 9:03 AM (in response to mogome)

I live in Birkenstock sandals in the summer, my podiatrist told me they are as close to orthotics as you can get.  You have to break them in slowly though.  I am in denial about the neuroma for now.  I don't have time for surgery at the moment, so I've starting biking instead of walking or running.  Someday I'll have to decide what to do.

Aug 4, 2008
    506. Aug 16, 2008 1:43 PM (in response to fargogirl)

I received my first alcohol shot Wednesday morning and it was easy.  Just a little tingling when he got near the nerve.  He told me I would probably not notice any imporvent until after 3rd at least.  I take my second one next Wednesday.  Sure hope these work.

Mogo

• Trencita Rookie 16 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    507. Sep 4, 2008 9:30 AM (in response to IRS090)

Just checking in ... hope everyone is feeling well, or at least improving.

I spent a few weeks traveling in Spain last month - I was kind of worried before I went that I wouldn't be able to walk as much as I wanted to, but I really had little problem. I wore my Keens (Sydney model) with orthotics every day. Those shoes have saved me; I now have three pairs, and will consider buying more, since they come in so many great colors, and they're actually attractive. Anyway, there were days I am sure I walked at least three or four miles on cobblestone streets, and although I had some fleeting occasional pain, it wasn't unbearable and did not keep me from sightseeing at all.

Since I have been home, I have hiked a couple times, but even with the orthotics in my hiking boots, after about two miles I really begin to feel the pain from the MN.Of course, by then I am at least two miles from the trailhead, so I have to just suck it up and keep on going. Not fun at all.

My biggest news is that for my 60th birthday (a month early) gift, my husband got me a 21-speed mountain bike. Talk about a "second childhood." I am having the time of my life, after last having been on a bike when I was a teenager! So far, I have been on some amazing rides along our beautiful coastline trails, seeing the ocean up close and personal, as they say ... and NO worries about irritating my foot. I guess it's true there is a silver lining to every cloud ... if the MN hadn't come up, I probably never would have even thought about biking, and now it's rapidly becoming a passion for me.

• cotten2008 Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    508. Sep 4, 2008 9:43 PM (in response to foxyw)

Hey Everyone,

Had to have cryo again for the neuroma... so far so good.  Shhh.... don't want to jinx it.   New orthotics are not the answer - $360 down the tubes!  I am still having pain in my foot behind my met heads and around my 2nd met joint....

Foxyw,

Did your new doc ever mention that your met "dropping" like it did after surgery was a common complication of the surgery?  My pod said that because they cut the ligament that holds your metatarsals together, that that can lead to this.  My second met is still banging the ground and I notice that my 2nd toe almost completely comes in contact with the insole - instead of just the tip. (not that way before surgery at all).   My pod thinks that it is a result of the surgery - which I am now completely regreting and beating myself up for deciding to do it.  Anyway... I cannot walk barefoot at all, feels like a big lump of something, and I have swelling in between my 1st and 2nd toes (my surgery was in between the 2nd and 3rd)... and still have capsulitis in my 2nd met joint... so it sounds kinda like your situation with your 4th met and toe.... did your new doc suggest PT or did you ask for it- was he a pod or an ortho guy? 

Has anyone else who has had neuroma surgery experienced this?  Has any other doc mentioned this as a result? I really wish I would have known that this kinda stuff could cause such problems... the only thing I was worried about was a stump neuroma.... this is changing my world and my life - not to mention my footwear (nothing really feels good at this point).  I am 8 months post surgery and was really hoping to be feeling better by now!

Left foot is feeling ok.... was touch and go there for awhile with favoring because of my right foot... phew...

Thanks and I hope to hear more of your updates... it has been awhile.

Cindy

• foxyw Rookie 57 posts since
    Aug 23, 2007
    509. Sep 6, 2008 6:36 AM (in response to cotten2008)

Cindy - Your situation sounds very much like mine... The second doc I went to was a podiatrist. I don't recall the doc who did my surgery or the new doc ever mentioning the possibility of the metatarsal dropping as a result of the surgery but I do remember reading about that possibility on the web at some point. My surgery was in the 3/4 space. The met head of my 4th toe was very low even one year after the surgery and the scar/incision area and even the adjacent space to a degree would regularly swell up and hurt. Since the 4th met was dropped, my 4th toe was somewhat raised. I also had some pain just about in the middle of my foot between the 4th and 5th metatarsals and this at times felt like another neuroma. I had also developed a hitch in my walk and was not rolling off the ball of my foot on each step.

Prior to my visit to the second podiatrist, I had started massaging my foot and rolling a tennis ball around with the ball of my foot which I think was helping to break up some of the scar tissue and get a bit more mobility in that part of my foot. In fact, one time when I was massaging my foot I felt the metatarsal more or less push through some scar tissue - a very odd feeling indeed! The second podiatrist recommended PT following an ultrasound of my foot that showed a fair amount of scar tissue. The massage, ultrasound, and laser therapy as well as stretching and strengthening exercises as part of PT made a huge improvement in my foot comfort very quickly. The scar itself even became less visible as a result of the therapy.

The feeling of having a lump in my foot is greatly reduced but I still feel like my foot has to stretch and settle out when I first get up in the morning and sometimes in the evening too, especially if I've been on my feet a lot during the day. Regarding your whole toe hitting the orthotic, I noticed that my 3rd toe appears to be somewhat dropped and skewed to the right and I can't see the 3rd metatarsal as prominently on top of my foot. It's definitely different than it was before surgery and different than my left foot. I think that my 4th metatarsal was dropping because scar tissue was pushing it down. I would definitely recommend PT, especially if you can find a therapist who has experience in dealing with foot problems. There is relief to be found. Good luck with everything! Pat

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...