Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

99619 Views 564 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 10:31 AM by firstcampgirl RSS Go to original post 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 Previous Next
  • Elise Gaudet Rookie 1 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    510. Oct 21, 2008 8:41 AM (in response to ShelleyM073)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

I've had some success with nicer shoes but it takes a bit of trial and error.  I'm lucky to have narrow feet since one of the things you need is a shoe that doesn't compress the forefoot too much.  I've also found that going a half size bigger allows me to put an orthotic or metatarsal pad in the shoe.  Interestingly enough, one line of shoes I can always count on, often without any insoles is anything from Kenneth Cole with a lower heel.  A few years ago, there was a line of shoes in the Reaction line that was nicely pointy with a very short kitten heel (1") and they are among my most comfortable shoes.  Since they are over an inch longer than my real feet, I do have to be careful going up stairs but they look appropriate with even the dressiest outfit.  Don't despair - give Kenneth a try!  (I've only tried lower heels.  I'm tall enough already!)

• mogome Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 4, 2008
    511. Nov 14, 2008 4:39 PM (in response to IRS090)

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on for awhile, but have had 8 alcohol shots now and everything is doing pretty good.  Have a numb feeling in little toe, but that sure beats the pain I had before.  My pod gave me alcohol shot every week and hope this is the end.  Wish me luck.  Good luck to all of you.

Mogo

• katnipct Rookie 8 posts since
    Sep 10, 2007
    512. Nov 16, 2008 2:57 AM (in response to IRS090)

Haven't posted in a while. Have been battling MN for over 3 years now. First got a shot of cortizone, helped for a while, then a series of alcohol shots, helped for a while. Have given up wearing any kind of normal shoe, except for short periods of time. I have wide, flat feet to begin with. Teva mush flipflops and Keen work best for me in the summer, in winter, it's Crocs, even with the holes, though I see they have some solids now too. I'm a golfer, wear golf sandals and walk ( next year I'm trying the Crocs golf shoe). Yikes, usually by about the fifth hole I am in a lot of pain. My POD wants to operate and sez he's only had a few people with problems, but am am sooo leary! I read that the operation has not changed in 100 years! And that the ONLY time a nerve in the body is cut is in this type of operation! I don't get it, can't they come up with something better??

My Chiro has been trying to help me, but little success so far...

Well, this week I'm going to a new POD and see what he has to say. I do know of one POD in the state who does Cryo and  I may try that.

Hang in there everyone.

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    513. Nov 16, 2008 4:27 AM (in response to IRS090)

Hey, everyone!  I haven't been here in so long.  It's been over 1 year since 7 alcohol injections and I am still doing great!  I am back to running, although not everyday like I used to do.  Good luck with your injections.  I think if you give it time, they will work.

• Baby Blue Rookie 49 posts since
    Jul 10, 2007
    514. Nov 16, 2008 8:19 AM (in response to IRS090)

Glad to hear that things are going good, Shelley!

Long time since I've posted.  I think that I last posted after my foot break in late June (probably posted in early July). It's been 2 years now since the first onset of the neuroma pain.  (The word "pain" just doesn't begin to describe it, does it??)  Just a quick summary, I went from one foot to both feet, had cortisone shots, alcohol shots, and eventually surgery in my right foot last October (2007), with the hopes to do the left foot this fall.  In the surgery, I had the nerve removed and a bunion corrected.  I had all kinds of complications, and by summer, I was finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm a golfer and finally got to walk my first nine holes in forever!  Well, that's when, because of the arthritis since the surgery, I broke my foot walking up an incline.  It contintued to try to heal and re-break every week or so until I had the bone chunk (which was in my big toe joint) removed.  That's been almost 6 weeks ago now.  My dr also removed the screw from last year's surgery while he was in there.

The surgery to remove the bone piece and screw went very well.  It is still tender, but I guess that it is supposed to be for awhile yet.  Still wearing tennis shoes (New Balance), which I have been wearing for 2 years now.  Unfortunately, the day after surgery, I was hopping a little on my good foot when I heard a nasty pop or snap in my good calf, and down I went.  I tore my calf muscle, so for a few days I had no leg or foot that I could bear any weight on, and was crawling on hands and knees.  Horrible, to say the least.  I don't know how babies do it, cuz my knees were bruised up pretty good after that!

Currently, I'm in PT for the calf muscle, which is finally coming around.  The foot is doing pretty well, I think.  We were on vacation last week and I was pretty scared about how that would go.  When we left I had been off of crutches for one week.  Things went well, but I obviously changed the way that I walked, because the left neuroma has been flaring up again and my right hip hurts a lot.  (My left foot had been doing much better one year after the alcohol shots were done, new orthotics, and being able to walk better on my right foot since the right neuroma was removed.  After all of the complications on my right foot, my dr was hesitant to touch the left foot.)

I didn't notice the 4th met dropping until some of you had mentioned it.  Since before this recent surgery, I have been also having blisters between my 3rd and 4th mets, but since I have a lot of numbness there, it's hard to notice things until they are really bad.  My dr said that it is a fungus, and I've been trying to get it cleared up, but it seems to be very persistent.

For those of you worried about having the numbness after having a nerve removed, it is MUCH better than the pain.  I know that some people have more of a feeling of a pebble or something in their shoe and it is more of an annoyance than pain, but those of you who have the feeling of stepping on electrically charged glass know exaclty what I mean!

I'm hoping that I am getting close to the point where I can beging working out again.  Over the last couple of years, I havne't been able to and am really looking forward to getting back in shape and losing all of this weight that I've put on from being so inactive!  Wish me luck, since I am going to be trying in the next week or two...

Sorry for the long post!

• Trencita Rookie 16 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    515. Nov 16, 2008 8:21 AM (in response to IRS090)

I haven't been here is a while, either. It's been almost a year since I first began experiencing the pain of MN - I finally went to the doc in December 2008 and was referred to a POD and diagnosed in early January. I had a cortisone shot at my first visit - yow what pain - but also brought amazing relief. Eventually the pain returned, but I have been able to manage it by no longer running (I was so sad to give that up), and limiting my hiking to once or twice a week. Even then, after the first three miles, I can really feel the MN. Just have to soldier on, though. I refuse to let this stop me from being active.

I now have a really cool hybrid mountin bike, and I get out and ride just about every day. It's not as challenging an exercise as running, but I am having a great time. I am lucky enough to live in an area that has some beautiful ocean-side bike trails, as well as pretty good weather most of the year, so I can get out at most days.

I recently met a 60-year old woman who had the MN surgery when she was 19 years old, and she has not had any problems since. I am still too worried that the surgery - if there are problems - can permanently cause worse problems than I have now ... so I am not considering it.

• Trencita Rookie 16 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    516. Nov 16, 2008 8:23 AM (in response to IRS090)

Hmmm ... that should have been December _2007  _---  I guess I was getting a little ahead of myself in that last post.   LOL

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    517. Nov 16, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to IRS090)

Baby Blue-I'm so sorry you've had so many problems. I hope this last break is the last time!  You certainly have had your share of pain.

Trec-I have found the thing that has replaced running for me--spinning. I joined a gym and absolutely love spinning. I try to spin twice per week, do the elliptical a couple of days per week, and only run 1 day (usually on Sundays, for about 6 or 7 miles around my neighborhood.) I also just started weight training with a trainer. I do miss running everyday, but the spinning really feels great. Nothing seems to get the heart pumping like running, but it is darn well near the satisfaction.

• dizzypinkizzy Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 27, 2008
    518. Nov 16, 2008 4:26 PM (in response to IRS090)

Hey all!  It's been quite some time since I last posted to this board- best wishes to everyone who is still struggling with MN or those who have found relief or success with their treatment!

To quickly recap my experience with MN: I have been experiencing pain for several years in both feet, however, the pain in my right foot was far far worse than that in my left.  In late fall of last year (2007), I went to see a podiatrist who diagnosed me with Morton's Neuroma in both feet, slight hammertoes forming and general structural problems with my feet.  In essence, I have very bony feet with abnormally high arches that shift my weight forward into the ball of my foot (thus more pressure on the area where MNs form), narrow heels and toes that I have crammed into too many pairs of running shoes and high heels in my life! 

So, I started treatment for the MNs at my first visit to that Pod, with a cortisone injection in each foot- which hurt quite a bit, and there was significant swelling, but really didn't provide much relief other than making my foot feel swollen and a bit fuller than usual, which only lasted temporarily.  My pod said he did this partially as a diagnostic measure to make sure they were neuromas, oh joy!  They were and are! 

Then I started a course of alcohol injections which were one of the worst experiences I have ever endured- some people have had considerable relief with these, but I had little luck, a lot of pain and very very minimal relief.  Overall, my doctor wanted to do 8 shots total, but after about 5 or 6 of these shots, I decided I had simply had enough in terms of not getting much relief and essentially being debilitated by the shots every two weeks and I went to look for another podiatrist. 

My issue with the first pod was that his goal was to make sure I could walk normally- but considering I am only 22 years old (21 at the time) I wanted to be able to run, be active, and wear a larger selection of shoes!  It seemed I had different goals than the majority of his patients so I looked into finding another pod in the area, preferably one who did Cyrotherapy, which I learned about through this forum and seemed like the thing to do before considering surgery seriously.  The second podiatrist I went to specialized in orthopedic/sports podiatry, so he was much more concerned with really getting me back to 100% with the most minimal pain and interference into my life.  I also think he is one of the best doctors I have ever had the pleasure of being treated by and was completely honest with my diagnosis, treatment and incredibly patient with my endless questions! 

After my inital evaluation, he decided to make me special orthotics in the office (relatively inexpensive, around 30 or so dollars) where he took basically inserts that can easily adapt to your feet and marked the place the neuroma was causing me pain on them and created another pad underneath them that allowed for space under the area of the neuroma to reduce the pressure on that area and allow it to sort of drop down a bit into the orthotic.  While these weren't the final solution, they worked while I was waiting to get the cyrotherapy (I was finishing my senior year of college and wanted to wait until I would have time to recuperate before exams or time when I needed to be active that spring). 

I had cyrotherapy on my right foot on May 6, 2007.   My recovery seemed to be on the longer end of the time frame for recovery from the procedure if not a little longer.  I basically had to keep off of my foot for about 3 days and experienced significant pain and soreness for several more days, but by about the week marker, I only had minimal pain and some soreness left. 

Once I got through the initial healing from the procedure, I noticed a major improvement in the pain I experienced from the neuroma!  I highly recommend cyrotherapy to anyone looking for relief!  For me, it was the only thing that made a dent in the horrible pain.  Although I do still have twinges and pain from the neuroma in my right foot, it is so much better than it once was!  I can even wear high heels and not have much pain in that foot (especially if the toe box is wide or sandals which doesn't squish the neuroma as much) and running isn't nearly as painful as it once was!

Although I haven't had the procedure done on my left foot yet due to not wanting to be out of commission for about a week, I am planning to have it done.  In addition, I am planning to have the procedure done again to my right foot in the hopes that will completely eliminate the pain I experience from the neuroma, and my pod is willing to do the procedure multiple times if the need continues.

My podiatrist strongly dislikes the surgery for MN and only uses it as an absolute last resort, and even then he really dislikes the surgery and considers cyrotherapy to be a much better procedure- especially since it can be repeated and doesn't have nearly as high a possibility for permanant complications/issues that the surgery carries with it.

katnipct:

Try and find a podiatrist who does the cyrotherapy!!!  Look into the procedure and I hope you are able to find a doctor, because this is really the only thing that did anything for me and I highly recommend having it done!  I also feel like surgery is such a toss up in terms of success for this problem that it seems logical to try everything else before you head down that path.  I know I would love to never have this pain anymore, but I would rather try the cyrotherapy again than take my chances with surgery, but that of course is a personal consideration and decision.

Hopefully, my ridiculously long post will be helpful to the people reading this and I wish everyone the best of luck with finding relief and continued success for those who have found that relief!

Personally, I am just happy I am finally at a place where the pain isn't unbearable- it might not be pleasant, but I can usually get through it enough to go about my day and enjoy running- especially with my dog, its one of her favorite activities!

• Baby Blue Rookie 49 posts since
    Jul 10, 2007
    519. Nov 17, 2008 1:24 PM (in response to dizzypinkizzy)

That is great that the cryo worked so well for you, Dizzy.  I think that we can all relate to wanting to just get to the point of a "bearable" pain.

I still have the phantom pain in my 3rd and 4th mets in my right foot (post-neurectomy), but it's more of an inconvenience than anything else.

One of my co-workers had the nerve removed in college, and later took up running.  He must be around 50ish, and said that he has had no problems ever since the surgery, so runnin may still be in somr of your futures!  (I'm a golfer, not a runner, so I can't offer anything there.... heck, I've just been trying to WALK since a year before the surgery!)

• Buniongirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    520. Nov 24, 2008 6:42 AM (in response to IRS090)

This forum was very helpful to me so I am posting my neuroma experience.  I'm a 60 year old female and before the neuroma I walked or hiked 1 to 2 hours a day.

My neuroma is in my right foot between the 2nd & 3rd toes.  I think that I caused it by edging a flower bed.  I first tried using a "ball of foot" gel pad and various insoles and padded socks.  Wearing Birkenstock Arizona sandals around the house helped but only inside the house.  The pain continued to worsen.

After 5 months I went to a podiatrist.  I wish that I had gone immediately.  He gave me a cortisone injection, getting the injection was quite painful but I had total relief for 5 weeks.  The pain slowly returned and he said that his experience is that if one cortisone injection doesn't fix it, he doesn't do additional cortisone injections.  His recommended next course of treatment was 4% sclerosing alcohol injections (usually 8 injections).  I was not prepared to make the decision on the spot and it was December so I asked for another cortisone injection to get me through the holidays.  The second injection helped but did not provide near the same relief as the first injection.

I decided to get the alcohol injections.  His experience is that the alcohol injections and the surgery have comparable success rates.  He said that there would not be relief during the initial injections and pain would probably increase while the nerve was being killed. I did some research and decided to avoid the surgery if possible because it's more invasive, recuperation might be tough and it is possible for it to make things worse.  The only drawback to the alcohol injections that I found was that they may not work.  My doctor does perform surgery if the alcohol injections don't work.

The alcohol injections seem to be successful.  I had 7 weekly injections.  All of the alcohol injections were less painful than the cortisone injections.  Post injection pain (the 36 hours after receiving the injection) increased with each of the first 3 injections.  I was unable to sleep at all the night of the 3rd injection.  After the 4th injection, post injection pain decreased with each injection.  The neuroma pain did not decrease until the 7th injection.  After the 7th injection he told me to resume normal activity and come back in 3 weeks to determine whether to do an 8th injection.  I was able to resume walking (but not hiking) a few days after the 7th injection and the pain continued to decrease. 

I got the 8th injection 3 weeks after the 7th injection.  Pain continued to decrease and I began hiking 3 days after the 8th injection. I got the 9th injection 1 month after the 8th injection, all pain was gone for 3 months, I hiked everyday.  A little pain returned 3 months after the 9th injection so I got a 10th injection and have been pain free so far.  I have been hiking on difficult trail surfaces with no problems.  I wear Keen hiking boots because of their very wide toe box which is so comfortable.  Ten injections are the most that my doctor has given a patient so far.  He regularly goes to neuroma forums where the consensus is that there is no limit to the number of injections (as long as they provide relief).  I have no numbness in my foot, when I walk barefoot on a hard surface it does feel like there is a lump under my foot but no pain; I never feel the lump while wearing shoes or Birkenstock sandals.  I think that the injections were the way to go for me.

• cotten2008 Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    521. Nov 24, 2008 9:13 AM (in response to IRS090)

It has been awhile since I have been here as well.  Since my second cryo, my neuroma has been quiet... the neuroma that I had removed has not been giving me any fits and so that is to good news.  The bad news is that I was beating myself up for choosing to have the surgery because I fel like it created more issues... two doctors that I have seen now say it is not the case that the new issues I am having were bound to happen because of the mechanics ans structure of my feet.

Anyway... I have been having pain in the my 2nd MTPJ - it feels like I am walking right on that metarsal head.  A cortizone injection in that joint provided relief, but didn't last forever.  I decided to go for second opinions to see what we could do.  One podiatrist padded my orthotic to relieve pressure off of that joint... it helped but then I started having muscle issues because I was walking funny. He advised against any metatarsal surgery because to get them aligned correctly is really diffcult and it usually leads to more and more surgery...

Another podoatrist swore I had a stump neuroma, but I really do not think that is it... I don't have any of the symptoms of a stump neuroma - I think she didn't know what to think and that was all she could come up with.   An orthopedic surgeon said I have morton's foot (2nd and 3rd mets longer than first) and he wanted to shorten the bones and cut out the neuroma on my left foot at the same time - my issues are with my right foot and I am not sure how having surgery on both feet at the same time would work.   With shortening bones, I assume he meant osteotomys... but I am not sure... he was only in the room for 5 minutes.

The most recent podiatrist says I have a bunion formation (which I do and am just now having pain with) and wants to repair the bunion and that will take the stress off of the second met.  He seems like he knows his stuff, but I have read that bunion surgery alone can put stress on the 2nd met because it shortens it - it is already short, so I question this a bit... I also wonder why he didn't suggest an osteotomy of the 2nd met instead?  I am seeing him in a week and am planning on asking this.  Has anyone that had bunion surgery have pain in their 2nd MTPJ BEFORE their bunion surgery????  It makes sense what he is saying... my 1st met is moving away from my second and creating a gap between those two joints, as a result, I am having pain between those two joints and on the side of my 2nd MTPJ... so, I guess if you repair the bunion and put it back where it is supposed to be it will be able to carry the load like it is supposed to, right?  I have also read that once you have bunion surgery, running is out of the question.... is this right?  I mean, I haven't run in 3 years and have given up hope that I will, but I just wonder.

My cryo pod is going to call me and discuss my options.  He is out of answers for me when it comes to the capsulitis and 2nd MTPJ stress issue.  He seems to think it is a result of the neuroma surgery (between 2nd and 3rd toes), but it doesn't appear that my mets have dropped at all and the MRI did not show evidence of ligament or tendon damage.... so I am not sure.  I really trust his opinion, he also mentioned that my fat pad may be gone because of the injections and surgery, but no one else has mentioned this.

In the interim, I have been seeing a chiropractor who specializes in gait training and I have seen some relief with this... I have been walking stupid for so long that I am having trouble retraining my muscles to walk correctly, but he seems confident that he can improve my situation.  He is anti orthotic and wants to avoid any surgery until I am walking correctly because he says that even if I have a surgery of some kind, that if I continue to walk the way I do, I will continue to have the same issues.

So, if anyone out there has any thoughts, I would love to hear them..... especially about the bunion surgery - pain before and after - and if anyone else has had 2nd met surgery and/or stress syndrome.... and how things are with that.  I know someone here on the forum did have an osteotomy - but I can't get back to the page where he talked about it.

Thanks and please pray for me in my upcoming decisions - everyone I see has a different opinion on what to do so how the **** I am supposed to know how to choose what is best?????   I certainly do not want to make my situation worse.

Hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving.

Cindy

• nursej921 Rookie 27 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    522. Nov 24, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to cotten2008)

Cindy,

I too have 2nd met pain.  It started 14 months ago and has not let up. I'm a nurse and on my feet all day so it has been a long, painful and depressing last year.  I had bunion surgery in January of 07.  I did not have 2nd met pain prior to my bunion surgery, but was having pain with the bunion.  I was healing just fine post operatively and was even back to daily walks, high heals, and bare feet.  Then all of a sudden one day in September my foot started to hurt under the 2nd met.  Finally was hurting so bad that I went back to the podiatrist.  After trying a myriad  of things and numerous consults with many specialists I have finally settled on surgery.  I will be having a Weil Osteotomy of the 2nd met  on December 8th.  It seems that my 1st met was shortened too much during my bunion surgery and now my 2nd met is taking on too much weight.  I'm very concerned, like you, about a transfer lesion, but can't handle the pain anymore.  I tried everything from rest and icing, to chiropractor, orthotics and even accupuncture.  NOTHING helps!  I completely understand your concerns as I am in the same boat as you.  All I can do now is put complete trust in the hands of my surgeon.  Hope this helps as knowing that you are not alone.

Jess

• troutrus Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2008
    523. Nov 26, 2008 11:30 AM (in response to IRS090)

This is my first post.  I had MN surgery one year ago.   I am much worse off now with pain 24/7.  My pod wants to do another surgery.  Has anyone had success with revision surgery?  Does anyone take Celebrex for pain?

• franwantstorun Rookie 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2008
    524. Nov 26, 2008 12:44 PM (in response to nursej921)

Jess,

I had the Weil osteotomy and bunion surgery on Aug 15th.  Now I can walk a lot (in good shoes--doctor says I will eventually be able to wear non-ugly shoes).  Starting slowly to run, but get sore quickly - doctor says that should improve.  Let me know if I can help with any questions.  Best of luck!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...