Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

93350 Views 564 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 10:31 AM by firstcampgirl RSS Go to original post 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 Previous Next
  • nursej921 Rookie 27 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    525. Nov 26, 2008 3:21 PM (in response to franwantstorun)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

Fran,

Thanks for your reply.  Did you have the weil osteotomy of the 2nd met?  Did you have a pin in your toe for 4-6 weeks post operatively? Is the toe relatively stiff now? 

THanks,

Jess

• franwantstorun Rookie 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2008
    526. Nov 26, 2008 3:28 PM (in response to nursej921)

Jess,

Yes, the osteotomy was on the 2nd toe, right foot.  I had the pin and the toe is fine other than he fused the middle joint, so it doesn't bend.  But that does not bother me, and being able to walk w/o pain is worth it!

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    527. Nov 27, 2008 4:22 AM (in response to IRS090)

Troutrous-I took Celebrex when I first started having pain.  It was the worst thing I ever took.  It made my ulcerative colitis flare up.  Be careful.

• katnipct Rookie 8 posts since
    Sep 10, 2007
    528. Dec 1, 2008 5:10 PM (in response to IRS090)

Well, I went to another new POD for second opinion and he basically concurred with the first and suggetsed surgery as the best way to go. He feels that Cryo has not had that much success. Also... says that most negative posts (here on the internet) are the exception and not the norm. He claims 95% success rate with the surgery (same as my first pod). That the 95% success stories don't make it here on the posts, because they no longer have any problems??!! Food for thought??

I like this new guy and want to trust him, so I'm just wondering how you all felt about this??

• foxyw Rookie 57 posts since
    Aug 23, 2007
    529. Dec 1, 2008 5:26 PM (in response to katnipct)

I agree that most of the people whose surgery was an immediate success are not likely to be posting in this kind of forum.  I have a friend who has had two successful neuroma surgeries with quick recoveries in the past two years so there are certainly many success stories out there.  I had a very slow recovery from my surgery in May '07 but am doing quite well now following physical therapy on my foot in June/July '08.  I believe that my long recovery can be, at least in part, attributed to the 3 cortisone shots and 7 alcohol shots that I had in that foot in the year or so prior to opting for surgery.  The doctor told me that there were adhesions in my foot that she had to work through in order to remove the neuroma so it was a fairly invasive surgery.  I have a neuroma in my other foot and have had cortisone and alcohol shots there too.  It's been about 2.5 years since I completed the alcohol shot treatment in that foot and it's holding up well as long as I don't push it too hard and wear my orthotics or shoes/sandals with good support.  Cryo sounds like a good option from what I've read on this forum.  Surgery is also good in many cases.  I wish you the best in whatever route you choose.

• Baby Blue Rookie 49 posts since
    Jul 10, 2007
    530. Dec 1, 2008 7:11 PM (in response to foxyw)

I agree that the people with successful stories are less likely to post on the Internet.  My dr also said that.  I only know two people (other than me and those online) that have had neuroma surgery.  Both had very successful surgeries.  It's been over a year since mine (right foot), and although I've had so many complications (including my recent surgery to remove a bone frangment that broke and lodged in the joint and removal of the screw from last years surgery), the unbearable, intense pain is gone.  I still have phantom pain, but it is more of an inconvenient feeling.  Definitely bearable.  I consider my surgery to have been a success.  Again, it took a very long time for me to be able to say that.  Also, since I can now walk better on both feet and have better orthotics, I may not need surgery on my left foot (which was originally aggravated by walking differently to account for my right foot pain).

Again.... a VERY long process, but hang in there.  I would do it again in a hearbeat, and it hasn't been an easy one.

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    531. Dec 10, 2008 2:47 PM (in response to Baby Blue)

I had neuroma removal between 3rd and 4th toes on my right foot in January 2008 two days after running the Houston Marathon.

I ran 18 marathons in 2007 and had 5 or 6 marathons already scheduled for 2008. 

I had the neuroma problem for about 10 years.  I damaged it by wearing Nike shoes that were too narrow.  I had a cortisone shot in Oct 2006 because the pain during running was becoming chronic.  In Dec 2007 it had gotten bad again so I had another cortisone shot but it didn't really help.  I got laid off from work in December and was still on insurance in January so while I had the time I figured I would get the surgery.  The doctor went in from the top of the foot and their were no complications.

My next marathon was scheduled 3 weeks after surgery.  I followed doctor's advice for at least a week.  After a week I started walking.  After two weeks I tried running on treadmill, but it hurt after a mile so I went back to a walking.  The marathon was my first real run.  It was on hard packed sand so it was very soft.  I had a lot of pain and I took a lot of advil.  I ran two more marathons in February.  My times were about 45 minutes off my pre-surgery time.  I ran 100 miles of a 200 mile relay the first weekend of March.  I finally ran a sub 4 hour marathon in April.

I haven't had any problems from the surgery other than an occasional sharp pain in the middle of my foot.  I hardly notice the numbness on the bottom of my foot.  I am always careful to check my toenail length before every race.

I am glad I finally got the neuroma removed.    I have finished 20 marathons since the surgery.  I think I am finally back to the shape I was in prior.  I hope this helps anyone dealing with this problem.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

Sep 10, 2007
    532. Jan 17, 2009 3:25 PM (in response to IRS090)

Cryosurgery experience...Well, last week the hubby took me down to southern CT to see a POD who performs Cryosurgery.

Had about 4 shots of novicaine through the top of my foot. (ooowwww!) then about 15 minutes worth of liquid nitrogen being shot into my neuroma (hopefully).

Funny thing about my neuroma, reminds me of a toothache, I have a hard time pinpointing exactly where it is.

It's been a week since the surgery and it is still uncomfortable, sort of feels like it did after the alcohol injections, but gets better every day. I was on my feet for about 3 hours today and did not have my normal neuroma pain, so hopefully that's a good sign.

I'll post again soon and let you know how things turn out.

• eliza_jane Rookie 5 posts since
    May 23, 2008
    533. Jan 27, 2009 7:47 AM (in response to katnipct)

Hi - I'm wondering how you're doing post-op after the cryosurgery.  Are you any better?  I'm scheduled for conventional surgery next month and am apprehensive because of some ot the stories I've heard on here.  My pod claims an 85-90 success rate for regular surgery, but I have had three cortisone shots and a dozen alcohol shots, which did no good whatsover, so I may have lots of scar tissue. 

Anyhow, I am interested in the cryo - and wonder who you went to.  I live in Massachusetts.  It seems that not too many surgeons do the cryo.

Hope you're doing better.

EJ

Sep 10, 2007
    534. Jan 27, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to IRS090)

Well, it's been a little more than 2 weeks since the cryo and it's deifintely still uncomfortable. I worked out at the gym yesterday and got on the eliptical for half an hour. It's still painful, though not as bad as before. It feels much like when I had alcohol shots, kind of like you have a golf ball under your foot. I just called th POD's office and they said it can take up to a month to really heal. So, I'm still hoping. I went to Arch Foot Care in Norwalk, Ct. About 100 miles for me, but the pod said he's had people from as far way as New Hampshire. It's a tough choice. If this doen't work., I may try ONE more round of alcohol shots, then opt for surgery. I guess if you have faith in your doc, it should be OK.

May 23, 2008
    535. Jan 27, 2009 1:02 PM (in response to katnipct)

It certainly sounds logical that it would take a month to heal.  You're doing far better than I am - I can barely walk a couple of blocks.  The cryo sounds good to me because it is less invasive and seems to have less chance of complications.

Thanks for the prompt reply - and I do hope you continue to do well!

EJ

• MartinBiker Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 21, 2008
    536. Mar 4, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to SteffeySue)

Hey there.  I saw your post about your husband having Morton's Neuroma.  It was interesting that you went to a specialty running shoe store and purchased some orthotics.  I was just wondering if they were special inserts or off-the shelf like Superfeet.  Thanks!

• JLFleet Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    537. Apr 20, 2009 9:33 PM (in response to IRS090)

Hi everybody,

This is JLFleet - I posted back in August of '07 about having two MNs in my right foot, and having two sessions of cryosurgery.  The first one didn't work, so I went back for a second session, this time with a nerve stimulator.  I posted an update 3 days later, telling the board that I felt it was a success.

WELL...as it turned out, it wasn't.   About a week later, the pain was back.  In my opinion, cryo is a crock.  I have not found ONE single person so far that has had real success with it for MN.

After dealing with the pain for another year and half, I finally had MN surgery last month, on March 24.  I had an orthopedic foot/ankle surgeon do the surgery.  He used the dorsal approach.   Oh, I should mention that it turns out I only had ONE MN...I never had one in my 3rd webspace, only my 2nd.  So that was another screw up!

Anyway, I am now 4 weeks out of surgery.  I was in a surgical shoe and up walking the same day.  I have had virtually no swelling that I can see.  I was out of the surgical shoe at three weeks and am now in tennis shoes, flip flops or whatever is comfortable.  I have no neuroma pain at all, and have the typical numbness on the sides of my second and middle toes as well as in the ball of my foot.  The numbness I can deal with.  What is not so great is the feeling like I'm walking on a lump all the time.  The doctor told me this could still be swelling or it could be scar tissue forming.  I'm hoping it's not permanent.  While it's not actually painful, it is very annoying and if I walk on it for long, it gets kinda sore - like a bruised feeling.    I'm trying to be realistic and patient, I mean it's only been 4 weeks since having my foot sliced open, but I really fear that this lump feeling will be with me forever.

That said, I am still glad I did the surgery.   I'd rather have the feeling of a lump in my shoe than the electric shocks and stabs that I got before!

I apologize for never getting back on here before to retract my statement of success with the cryo.  I sure hope nobody had it done based on what I said at the time.  I was just so fed up and disappointed I just kind of gave up on it all and tried to live with it the best I could....that lasted only so long though. 

Has anybody on here that had the surgery had this funny lumpy feeling in the bottom of their foot?  I cannot walk barefoot or in anything that is not well cushioned.  I just can't take the hard lumpy feeling.  It makes my foot ache!  It's also throwing my gait off as I try to avoid the feeling when I walk.  I'm probably going to ruin my right knee even more than it already is!

So, there's my update 1 1/2 years later.  I consider my surgery pretty much a success...if only I didn' have the lumpy thing going on.    And I most definitely consider the cryo surgery a huge crock of &^%$.   My surgeon told me that he cringes when he gets patients in for surgery that have had previous cryo.  He said he sees all kinds of damage in the foot from it...tissue damage that isn't even related to the neuroma that can cause other problems and make the traditional surgery harder and perhaps less successful.   Thankfully, he said my foot didn't look bad when he got in there.

I hope everybody on here is coping well with their MN problems.

Jennifer

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    538. Apr 21, 2009 3:16 PM (in response to JLFleet)

I felt a similar "lumpy" feeling on the bottom of my foot.  In my case, it seemed like there was a small piece of rope under my foot right where the numbness started.  It was very noticeable during most of my 2008 marathons.   I finally stopped noticing it during race about a year after the surgery.  It does get better so hang in there.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

May 23, 2008
    539. Jul 26, 2009 1:44 PM (in response to SBDon)

I was wondering how you are doing after your surgery.  I'm two months post surgery now and still cannot walk  -- I have severe pain that feels like I'm walking on broken glass.  I am still using a crutch and the inscision on the top of my foot still has not healed over.  I don't know if this is just part of the healing process or if it means I've developed scar tissue.  I've been in physical therapy for the past month, and the exercises have made the pain worse, with no long term improvement. 

Does anyone know what a realistic healing time is after this surgery?  My pod said 4 - 6 weeks, which seems a little unrealistic.  He has not been very forthcoming with information.  I'd feel a lot better if I knew it was going to take a few more months, so I'd appreciate hearing about others' experiences.

Thanks.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...