Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2244 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2007 5:17 PM by Sandikal
jbrown731 Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2007 2:28 PM

ITBS and yoga/pilates?

ITBS has been bothering me for the past few weeks; last week I finally bought a foam roller and have been using it.  How long should I be rolling on the tight spots?  How close to the knee should I go?  I know I'm not supposed to roll directly on the knee, but I rolled really close to it yesterday and now today it feels a bit worse. 
Also, can I do yoga/pilates with this? I've noticed that some of the strengthening exercises that people recommend, like the plank, are part of the DVD I use. But will it screw it up more to do poses that require a lot of weight on my bad knee?
I'm really going insane without being able to run or do cardio. Stationary bike bores me, elliptical machine hurts, no access to swimming pool, don't own a bike.
I know ITBS is different for everyone, but is there a window of time where the roller should start making a difference? Until today, it felt like it was getting a bit better.
Thanks!

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Apr 6, 2007 2:50 PM (in response to jbrown731)
    Re: ITBS and yoga/pilates?

Each ITB case is different - some need only a few days, while some have a chronic issue with ITB.

As far as rolling, I've heard you can roll your ITB up to three times a day. As far as how close to the knee you should be going, as long as you don't roll on the joint itself, you should be fine. When you find a tight spot initially, you should concentrate on trying to roll that out. You will feel sore the first few times you do that but after awhile, the knot should feel less and less prominent and the rolling will feel much easier.

If you're not doing strengthening exercises for your hip abductors/adductors and your gluteal muscles, you should put those into the routine ASAP.

Putting weight on the bad knee shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to do something like weighted squats or leg presses, which is a no-no at this point.

As far as yoga, I took classes specifically to help me with my stretching out my ITB area, but I've found it has other running-related benefits (improved breathing, better flexibility, core strengthening, etc.) I'll have to defer to someone who's familiar with Pilates in relation to ITB issues.

Hopefully things will get better and you'll be able to get up and running soon - good luck to you

• Sandikal Amateur 96 posts since
    Jan 22, 2007
    2. Apr 6, 2007 5:17 PM (in response to jbrown731)
    Re: ITBS and yoga/pilates?

Yoga should be really good.  But, I'd recommend taking classes instead of using a DVD.  If you speak to the instructor before class, he/she can give you adaptations that will help you.  He/she can also show you some poses that will be especially helpful.  Furthermore, if you are doing a pose incorrectly, a good instructor will guide you into the proper position for the pose.

Yoga is fantastic for all kinds of aches and pains.

----

Sandi

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...