Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

579 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 9:14 AM by davidvisoky
fun2run003 Rookie 2 posts since
May 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2007 11:36 AM

How to prevent another stress fracture

Hi, I was wondering what has worked for you in preventing stress fractures? Calcium supplements? Cross training more etc.
Is there any difference in how to prevent stress fractures in non-weight bearing bones vs. in weight bearing bones?
Why do stress fractures occur in non-weight bearing bones anyway?
Thanks in advance for you help 

• gregorsa Rookie 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 21, 2007 12:00 PM (in response to fun2run003)
    Re: How to prevent another stress fracture

I read the results of a recent study done at Creighton University where 3700 females were studied- those given calcium and vitamin D in excess of the rda had 27 percent fewer stress fractures. I have been coping with a pelvic stress fracture, and as a result am taking supplements. Anything to lower the risk is worth it. My sports med doc suggested a biomechanical gait analysis which also showed I needed more motion control in my shoes and that I need to strengthen hip flexors.
    Good luck!

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    2. May 22, 2007 6:06 AM (in response to fun2run003)

I got a stress fracture in 2000 and have been super paranoid since. The original SF was not caused by running, though, long clutzy story though.
    I take calcium supplements and do cross training a couple times a weekas well. I also change my shoes very frequently.

• TLouiseMc Rookie 64 posts since
    Jun 17, 2006
    3. May 27, 2007 3:50 PM (in response to fun2run003)

My doc also said to stay away from ibuprofen - hampers bone's ability to rebuild.

• davidvisoky Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2014
    4. Jan 3, 2014 9:14 AM (in response to gregorsa)

Happy New Year and I am not sure you are still active here.  I had a bike accident and broke the same part of my Pelvis that you did. I am one week out.  When I fell I knew I hit hard and something was not right.  I was able to stand up and ride the remaining 3 miles to my home.  After showering, I went to the ER.

I told them exactly where the issue was I just knew there was a break in my pelvis.  It was a simple stable single fracture of my Inferior Pubic Ramus like you on my left side.  Both the ER and Ortho MD's says to walk on it and in 6 weeks it will be healed.  Both said no PT or OT necessary.  While I could gingerly walk for a short distance ( in the house, using a crutch outside) I know its going to take a while.

I saw that you said that yours took 9months!  Is that right?  Any PT for you?  What sort of exercise did you do at what point and what can I do?  Any sort of advice would be appreciated  Thanks Dave

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...