Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

822 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2007 5:33 PM by tallfran RSS
spartanrmd Rookie 96 posts since
Apr 9, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2007 7:26 AM

Freaky Accident this morning

Heres one that will give ya pause ....

was running 8 studenst this morning doing a 10k on hills . We end the run on a pretty good downhill to the gates of our compound

we usually push the last k really hard and it always ends up in a dead sprint for the last 300 meters or sooo.

been doing it with this group abought 2 months now

at about 50 meters from the gate a student went down (hard)
so im thinking scrapes and ugly road rash.

turns out his leg is broken about 2 inches above the ankle - a deffinite that must hurt moment. (not an ankle role or a sprain or a stress fracture but a dangley foot off the leg break)- that was 9 hours ago - we just got back from the hostpital.

The guy SWEARS his leg broke on the run when he stepped wrong on a concrete filled hole in the road. The guy next to him say he heard it break (loud)

Even the Korean Docs that treated him seemed skeptical.

I mean Ive heard of horses doing this - but people???

is it pssible he is confused and broke it while trying to recover from a stumble ??

Has anyone ever heard of this before?? Ive been running since the 70s and have never seen this before - Ive been training soldiers and security for about as long and have never had a leg break (have had a couple die - cardiac / aneurisms)

anyone have any studies on this type of thing or is should i just chaulk this up to - s**t happens

• 4leafclover087 Rookie 70 posts since
    Aug 20, 2006
    1. Jun 12, 2007 8:41 PM (in response to spartanrmd)
    Re: Freaky Accident this morning

Maybe his bones are brittle for some reason....??  Under lying health condition...hmmmmmmm

• tklep Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 13, 2007 3:08 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

My initial thought was also that there must be some underlying cause that is making his bones weak.  Be sure to make him get a full physical.  Cancer can cause weak bones (as can other stuff, but cancer being the most deadly thing I can think of...though I am not a doctor.)

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    3. Jun 13, 2007 5:35 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

I was at a marathon a couple years ago and a guy ran it with a stress fracture and pretty darn close to the finish line his leg snapped. I wonder if he had a stress fracture and this was the straw that broke the camel's back?

I had a hairline fracture in the late 90's and i did hear a crack when it happened (non running related), so i would imagine that he could hear it break.

• maplefly Rookie 138 posts since
    Feb 9, 2007
    5. Jun 15, 2007 10:06 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

That poor guy.  Quite the accident - wow.  I just wanted to offer that my sister (who is not a runner) broke her ankle badly (surgery required several screws and a plate) two months ago while walking to work.  She just took a wrong step or something & doesn't really know what happened.  They are testing her for osteoporosis, but it was more than likely just a freak accident.  - Hey, I lacerated a kidney and my spleen on an innocent tobogganing trip 8 years ago, so nothing would surprise me!

~ Fly

----

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat."<br />        - Bill Squires

• maplefly Rookie 138 posts since
    Feb 9, 2007
    7. Jun 17, 2007 3:38 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

-- sorry for a bit of a hijack here:

quote:

Originally posted by spartanrmd:

short of running into a tree - how does one generate enough g force to lacerate a kidney and a spleen during a tobaggan run?? was jack the ripper sitting behind you on the thing?? - that would make more sense

Amazing isn't it, but I kid you not.  Teens had formed a series of ice mounds on the hill that winter (a famous toboganning hill in our neighborhood for being nice and steep) but we didn't really see them as a problem.  I was the first down the hill from our group and my little plastic sled hit one just right and I'm told I went airborne like a rag doll and came down on the sled (which shattered) landing on my lower back.

Actually I think I had an angel on the toboggan with me. You see, I was born with only one kidney - so I am forever grateful that it healed up!

~ Fly

• gbhglacier Rookie 17 posts since
    Jul 15, 2006
    9. Jun 27, 2007 1:53 AM (in response to spartanrmd)

The same thing happend with my ankle fracture.  I slipped on a patch of ice... probably clocking an easy 7:40 mile this winter.  I went down hard... thought I'd broken my wrist... then looked at my ankle to see it dangling in a very ugly manner.  No one was around to tell me if there was an audible crack... but it convinced me that general leg strengthening drills... be it resistance or side to side motion drills are very important.

George

• PerfesserR Amateur 153 posts since
    Sep 7, 2005
    10. Jun 27, 2007 5:11 AM (in response to spartanrmd)

Barbaro.

• Get Gone Rookie 36 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    11. Jun 27, 2007 10:00 AM (in response to spartanrmd)

My wife broke a bone in her foot walking on carpet.  She just kind of caught her toe on the carpet and rolled the ankle a little bit and the outside bone of her foot broke completely.  Maybe she had a stress fracture before that, but she never had any sort of pain beforehand indicating that.  It was a weird injury that no one at first believed.  She had a cast from her toes to almost her kneed for 2 months.

• tallfran Rookie 19 posts since
    Jun 15, 2007
    12. Jun 27, 2007 5:33 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

It's certainly possible. Lots of time you hear of older folks "falling a breaking a hip". Most of the time it is actually "breaking a hip and falling". But most of them have osteoporosis. I'd get the kid checked out for osteoporosis too, sometimes it can hit younger people.

----

Gotta have a dream
    If you don't have a dream
    How you gonna have a dream come true?

tallfran

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...