Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1666 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2007 5:17 PM by Ariann092
Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
Apr 12, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2007 9:39 AM

pregnancy...running...miscarriage

Long story short...

I have a history of miscarriage...I am training for Chicago--my first marathon...and I found out that I am pregnant.  I am scared to keep training.  Obviously I am hopeful this pregnancy is FINALLY the one that works out...but after 5 miscarriages, 15 years of trying and disappointment...I don't want to put a hold on my training if the inevitable is going to happen.  I guess my questions are...What is a safe distance to keep running?  Should I keep running?  Any help would be appreciated...THANKS SOOO MUCH!

Angie Drew 
  • snailrunner080 Rookie 76 posts since
    May 26, 2006
    1. Jul 1, 2007 4:49 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)
    Re: pregnancy...running...miscarriage

I think that only your doctor can answer this question. Best,

• Finish_Pretty Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 1, 2007 5:01 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

My dearest one, this is only my opinion, it is ONLY a marathon, not a baby, I would say, forget the marathon IF you are pregnant, there are thousands of marathons a year, they are not all that important, I have done 3 of them , please believe me, for have 3 children that are far more pricless than to be able to say I ran the Chicago marathon. Maybe some day after the baby comes you will have an opportunity to run a marathon, with a history of that many miscarriages, I would do all I could to insure a healthy pregnancy & baby, that reward is matchless,& compares to nothing else in life. Maybe 20 years from now my dear one, you will run a marathon with the baby you now carry  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    God Bless you

• mum2girls Expert 120 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    3. Jul 1, 2007 8:16 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

I used to work w/ a wise obstetrician who told his worried patients that "you can't shake loose a healthy pregnancy."  While he/we knew this was true, he also recommended bedrest or limited activity for women at high risk of miscarriage "because if they do eventually miscarry, they won't beat themselves up wondering if the activity caused it."

There will be other marathons, but there may not be other pregnancies. Take it easy for the first 3 months, then gradually get back to running. Maybe aim for a half or shorter distance this year.

----

Jeanne in Ohio
    (hoping to age into a BQ when I'm 60)

My Running Forums Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• dragonsrouges Rookie 1,004 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    5. Jul 3, 2007 1:57 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

I heard that the first few weeks/months are when the baby is forming so it's not recommended to run during that time.  Check with your doctor but if you are allowed to water run after the initial baby-forming period, you can maintain a lot of muscle memory and a certain level of fitness while you are carrying the baby and it will speed up your training when you get back into it after the baby is born...

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    6. Jul 3, 2007 2:07 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

there are plenty of runners that keep running through their entire pregnancy and those first few months when the baby is starting to form, many many women don't know they are even pregnant yet so they keep running. Normally, if you are active and a runner prior to pg, then to continue to do so after learning you are pregnant is not a risky thing - so long as you just keep an eye on your heartrate.  HOWEVER, you are not "normal" in the sense of women getting pregnant and having healthy pregnancies. I, too, have a history of miscarriage and infertility, so I sort of know where you are coming from. This really is a question for your doc and I'm assuming with 5 m/c's and 15 yrs of trying , you are working with a high risk OB. But, since you do have such a long history of fertility issues and m/c's, then I would err on the side of caution and stop training, unless your OB says it's okay. Your body is a bit more fragile when it comes to allowing the baby to mature past some of these initial stages, so if it were me, I would not want to continue doing things that, while they may not be risky for most women, could be risky for you.  Have your other m/c's happened early in pregnancy?  If so, it might just be a matter of making it past a certain point in your pregnancy before you can resume your physical activities again.  Again, these are all things that your doctor should really know best about.
    good luck to you and I hope after all these years of trying that this one is a wonderful healthy pregnancy for you!

• Ariann092 Rookie 680 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    7. Jul 3, 2007 5:17 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

quote:

Originally posted by dragonsrouges:

... after the initial baby-forming period...

What? Miscarriages are most common in the first trimester, but the entire pregnancy is the "baby-forming period." I'd have to agree with others that you can't "shake loose a healthy pregnancy," but you are at high-risk and will probably have to deal with restrictions. Follow your doctor's advice on this one, whatever that advice winds up being.

Take heart, Gracie, both my mother and grandmother had several miscarriages and still went on to have healthy children.  My mother even had miscarriages between every successful birth.  She wound up with three healthy children, all conceived naturally, the last born when she was 41 (this was when 41 was considered "really old" to have a baby).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...