Skip navigation

1960 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2005 11:34 AM by mylesdcollins RSS
CocoRunner Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2005 9:21 AM

Starting new Tri Club, need help

A group of people at our local Y have been trying to get a Tri Club up and running. At first, many people were interested. Now, there is just a core group of us remaining. We want to get the Club going and need help/ideas.

Are you a member of a local Tri Club? If so, what attracts you to the Club? What keeps you involved? What are the benefits offered by your Club?

Also, any ideas for a good name for a Tri Club?

Thanks for your input!!

Amy

• rnnrchck Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 29, 2005 5:07 PM (in response to CocoRunner)
    Re: Starting new Tri Club, need help

Where are you located??? My two cents... do not charge too much for joining...

Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 30, 2005 1:59 PM (in response to CocoRunner)

Bummer... I'm in So. Cal.  Good luck with your club!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Aug 30, 2005 2:28 PM (in response to CocoRunner)

cool speakers, clinics on swimming,bike maintenance ect., group workouts followed by food, a good email ring to pass around info/questions

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• duggar1 Expert 55 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 31, 2005 9:49 PM (in response to CocoRunner)

Hey rnnrchck,

Where in Southern California are you? I've been working out with a small group of triathletes and runners in Redondo Beach. So far it's just an informal group of people who had been looking for others to train with, maybe it will grow into a Tri Club. If you are near by you're welcome to join us. And there's absolutely no charge for joining!

Email me at doug.cgs@verizon.net to get on our email list for coordinating training times. If anyone else reading this is also interested in participating in a no-cost tri training group, send me an email also. We welcome people at all levels.

Doug

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Sep 1, 2005 7:40 AM (in response to CocoRunner)

My coach does a weeknight free meeting and he talks about the health benefits, weight loss and completeing your 1st Tri.  We are a small group of 6 plus our coach.  Also go around your area for sponsors from bike stores to sports stores and post flyers every where. Church, community center etc...  good luck.

• melissalynett Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Sep 5, 2005 10:38 AM (in response to CocoRunner)

Check out our website ytri.org

We are a YMCA based triathlon club in Portland Oregon that started about two years ago.

• k2wenger Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Sep 6, 2005 9:33 AM (in response to CocoRunner)

We started a tri club in SE Wisconsin a few years ago.  The first couple of years it was pretty small, but it grew by leaps and bounds when we got connected with a locat fitness club - they put our flyers in their kiosk, we helped run some indoor tris, etc., giving our club a lot of exposure.  Members really like the weekly email that tells them of upcoming races, interesting internet links, group workouts, etc.  We team up with the local bike club and Master's swimming group so we don't have to plan bike and pool swimming workouts.  You can check out our website at www.fastforwardclub.org

• jdwAg20 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Sep 7, 2005 6:08 AM (in response to CocoRunner)

I agree on the 'low cost to join' comment.  I pay $90 annually.

Our club has coordinators for running, walking, cycling, swimming, and tris.  Each coord has designated workouts throughout the week.  No matter your schedule, there is always a workout to fit. 

We have open water swim sessions on Friday and Sunday mornings.  The coord puts bouys in the water and we have anywhere from 20-50 each time.

We also have different group training programs for an additional cost (TRI 101, Marathon 101, IM/Half specific courses for a group with an upcoming race), as well as out of town trips to train with other clubs, or with Dave Scott in Colorado.

There are constant speakers/info sessions on everything from stretching to fueling to recovery.  Members that are in the medical field are always offering body fat testing, massage, etc.

But the biggest thing about our club is the people.  We've got the greatest, most diverse membership, and we have a blast.  That part just kind of happens, I guess.

Good luck.

Jul 9, 2007
    10. Sep 7, 2005 1:55 PM (in response to CocoRunner)

Hey Doug: Bummer again!  I'm closer to San Diego than to L.A.  The part about being free is very tempting!!

• SwimminKathy Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Sep 8, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to CocoRunner)

Hey runner chick, where in San Diego do you train. I am trying to get back into it and I was looking for a club/workout partner in SD...any suggestions?

Jul 9, 2007
    12. Sep 8, 2005 1:19 PM (in response to CocoRunner)

Hi Kathy:  I'm still in Orange County but closer to you than to L.A... I'm not very familiar with S.D so I can't really give you any good tips.... me? I still train alone..

• mylesdcollins Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Sep 15, 2005 11:34 AM (in response to CocoRunner)

The email ring is crucial but you could also have a simple website for centralized info for your group. I created this one for the small group of people that I've started training with http://westwoodtri.blogspot.com/ . You can make one of these sites in about 20 minutes using Blogger and it's easy and free.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...