Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3352 Views 455 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2007 3:06 PM by hally 1 2 3 ... 31 Previous Next
fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
Aug 21, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2007 9:04 AM

September 50 Plus Training and Racing

110 miles for the week in singles.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 1, 2007 10:02 AM (in response to fredurie)
    Re: September 50 Plus Training and Racing

6 miles walking at about 14:45 per mile.  Spareribs

• Head Band Bill Legend 789 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 1, 2007 10:16 AM (in response to fredurie)

It was cast in stone that I run 15 miles with 12 miles at MP this morning. But with the H&H, I made a major adjustment and ran 14 miles with 12 at MP.

The MP's ranged from 8:19 to 8:34 with most being in the 8:25 to 8:30 range. Pfitz wants MP to feel "easy" which I can understand. But with the H&H, it wasn't easy, but I lived to tell about it. I'll take this one this time of year anytime.

Bill

----

Bill's Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Sep 1, 2007 10:51 AM (in response to fredurie)

Thanks for getting us started Fred.  I add miles on Saturday to make 30 for the week.  I was at 31 yesterday, so I decided I could do anything I darn well pleased today. 

I just spent the nicest 2:15 of my life on trail. 66 degrees. Lots of bird and bug noise. Handwritten note on tree: Bee hive 50 feet ahead on left. Don't make them angry.

Going to find the chisel.

Aug 14, 2007
    5. Sep 1, 2007 11:08 AM (in response to fredurie)

Fred, just went down to make some tea and thought, "Is that goal achieved for Fred?"

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    8. Sep 1, 2007 2:14 PM (in response to fredurie)

I started this month off with 1 hour in the pool...1/2 hour laps (really junky, just gave up) and 1/2 hour aqua jogging with new aqua jogging belt the club ordered...just for me.  Ran some (not very much) in the shallow end letting feet touch bottom...no pain.  That is a start.  Must be patient, must be patient, must be patient.

Euphie, I just love the info you choose to share with us. I am assuming that the bees did NOT get angry with you. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Mr. Ribs...that is some good walking...I can't even do that....

Fred: Why would you want to do 120 miles in a week? What benefit would that bring to your overall running program?

----

Running in wellness

Liz

Lizs Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Aug 14, 2007
    9. Sep 1, 2007 3:07 PM (in response to fredurie)

Liz, the water stuff is hard work.  Don't beat yourself up.

Rich, good luck tomorrow. There's lots of good energy out there this weekend.

Bill, I think "casting" in stone is easier than "writing" in stone. You don't do easy, so I think you meant "writing".

I'm on the fence about tomorrow's long run.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    10. Sep 1, 2007 3:53 PM (in response to fredurie)

Hey Bill, in your weather, that's a VERY good run, wtg!

Congrats. to you Fred, what a week!

Saturday

2 miles this morning just to stay loose, second @ race pace.

Went shopping today for running shorts with helium inserts but was surprised to find no-one makes 'em. Figured I'd lighten my load... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

Pulling for Spareribs and Liz fighting the good fight.

Thanks again Euphoric.  You should be really proud of your progress lately, you're running really well.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Sep 1, 2007 4:53 PM (in response to fredurie)

That was good judgment Bill.  You know when you have done the work. 

And yes I believe you write or etch in stone and cast in metals.

And speaking of tough training and recovery.  If we agree that training is the application of stress followed by a period of recovery to allow the body to adapt to the stress, then Jim's point about using judgment about the recoveries, and the repeated applications is true.  But you will often hear fred comment that a particularly tough workout gave his overall fitness level "a bump."  He says this often enough for us to know what he means which is that he was able to run hard and his body was able to assimilate it so that he got a fitness lift.  Still in all, it has to be within that breakdown limit.  We cannot do the stuff fred does.  Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Sep 1, 2007 6:15 PM (in response to fredurie)

Bill, is it a 20k that you are keying for? Intrepid Racers has you down for that one and a 5k today. Looks like you passed on the 5k. Your training is looking good.

Rich, another good luck for you tomorrow.

"Pulling for Spareribs and Liz fighting the good fight."
    My sentiments.

Saturday - 7 slow ones on grass loop for me

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Sep 1, 2007 6:41 PM (in response to fredurie)

I have no issue with someone running 110 or 120 mpw. A good coach I worked with years ago once told that it was a good idea to minus your miles from your IQ. That's how intelligent this all is. So if you have a 120 IQ and minus 120 mpw, you are operating on zero intelligence. You are down to the cortex which is basically reptilian. 

• Head Band Bill Legend 789 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Sep 1, 2007 8:38 PM (in response to fredurie)

Jim,

My key race is the NYC Marathon. And I'd like to make a BQ attempt sometime in the spring. The 20K and another 18K run that are shown on Intrepid are really part of the training cycle. But I like organized races as a part of training as they really help get you in the groove.

I signed up for the 5K but figured the MP run was far more important. I'll run a 5K if it fits in. But running a 5K today after my MP run woulda been little more than a jog for 3.1 miles.

Bill

----

Bill's Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 ... 31 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...