Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5061 Views 83 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2007 8:17 AM by Econo011 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
roy c Legend 452 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2007 10:13 PM

Thurs Sept 9 Boomer Runs

Morning Boomers
I should have named this thread 'The Adventures of Larry' after his excitement yesterday.
Not so exciting for me today, I was running the trails with Mrs Roy and the Wood boy. First day I had to wear a long sleeved shirt.

Anyway, 5m 57:47 @ 11:33 pace AHR 137 65%

Good Runs All
Roy

[http://This message has been edited by roy c (edited Sep-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by roy c (edited Sep-27-2007).]

• Head Band Bill Legend 789 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 27, 2007 6:30 AM (in response to roy c)
    Re: Thurs Sept 9 Boomer Runs

Today was a nice morning.  Only 72 degrees (though the humidity was 98%) which made for a nice 6.1 miles at 9 min/mile pace.  I even had a couple of 8:30's in there.  Avg. HR 134.

The temps. are going back up today so it'll be a one-day reprieve, but I'll take it!

Bill

----

Bill's Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Sep 27, 2007 6:40 AM (in response to roy c)

I'm sitting on my butt today.
    Unlike PBJ, who will probably run 20 just to prep for a long run.
    criag

p.s. PBJ, You bringing the chocolate?

• hopeful4ever Legend 995 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 27, 2007 6:40 AM (in response to roy c)

Oh my - I have to go back and read what happened to Larry yesterday - sounds interesting!

Nice run with your family Roy! Only 72 degrees for Bill today - it was 46 this morning for me. Even broke out the gloves!

This morning was a short 3 miler for Brinkley and I. That moon was so bright, I really didn't need a headlamp. It illuminated more items for Brinkley to pounce on though - couple of unexpected fartleks were thrown in today. Average pace - 9:34.

300 crunches
    45 butt blasters
    45 push ups (girlie kind)
    20 leg lifts (each side)
    20 under leg lifts (each side)

Right after work MrHopeful and I are heading up to beautiful Traverse City for our last camping trip of the season, and to celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary this Saturday. Can't wait!! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Cheers!

~Mary

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Sep 27, 2007 6:55 AM (in response to roy c)

Happy anniversary Mary!

Today is getaway day from the lovely city of Boston. My session is over at noon so I have a 2 pm flight home; I'll be there for dinner!

Pretty excited about running tomorrow after this short break. Feeling pretty good with the therapy.

Following baseball and talking sports up here is so much fun.  In Dallas all the talk about is the Cowboys 365 days a year.  Spareribs

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    5. Sep 27, 2007 7:10 AM (in response to roy c)

Good Morning Boomers!

Egret, Starruns Choover – lovely summer photos yesterday.

Mary – Happy anniversary!

No run for me today. I don’t seem to have a cough until I lay down to sleep, then I cough all night… !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|border=0!
    Light x-training instead: lunges, leg lifts with ankle weights, face-up and face-down, lateral raises, upright rows, bench dips, crunches, one 60-second plank. I hate planks.

Last night at DD’s soccer game, she got a bloody nose when she got hit by the ball in the face. Tears? Not a chance. Then at the end of the game I found her having a fist-fight with another player on the team. The boy had her by the hair and they were both punching wildly. Of course, they both insisted the other started it. (sigh) Maybe I should have her playing hockey instead of soccer.

Happy Thursday!

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• mrwhite039 Legend 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 27, 2007 7:26 AM (in response to roy c)

Mornin' Everyone,

3.5 miles for me this morning in 35:58. Three fartleks thrown in since I left the cinderblock shoes at home this morning.

----

mike

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    7. Sep 27, 2007 8:06 AM (in response to roy c)

Mary: Happy anniversary!

Holly: Does your DD take after you? I can picture you being a bit feisty, and you're in condition to take anyone on. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

It's been cloudy for a couple of days here, so we missed good views of the Harvest Moon in the evenings, but at least it was 58F this morning and I was able to get in one more run in my summer short-sleeve gear.

Did my 4.3 route, but felt lost since I forgot to put my Garmin on (but I assume it's the same distance as the last 100 times I've run it). At one point there was a group of deer on the path ahead of me. I clapped my hands to startle them, but it didn't faze them much and they just moved a few yards to the side. Really getting tame lately.

I've got a long bike ride planned for tomorrow morning, so probably won't run again until Sunday. Hope everyone has some good ones today!

----

- Runnin' in Rochester

Rochrunner[/URL" target="_blank">

• perchcreek Legend 821 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    8. Sep 27, 2007 8:08 AM (in response to roy c)

Good Morning Boomers!

Happy Anniversary Mary! Enjoy the weekend!
    Pro's going to be CRAZY the next couple weeks!! Fasten your seat belts !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I just slept this morning.... ahhh.

• SueT48 Legend 319 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Sep 27, 2007 8:17 AM (in response to roy c)

Good Morning, Boomers!

Mary - Happy impending anniversary - 23 years is spectacular!

High 60's with high humidity this morning. My sproink has deserted me and swears it won't return until we get back to seasonal temps. 6 MP miles on the track, though if there is this much heat and humidity for the race, I won't be able to keep up the pace for 26 miles.

I had a nice view of the harvest moon until the clouds rolled in. Looks like we might be getting some much needed rain.

Good runs to all!

----

Sue

• GrayDave Pro 184 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    10. Sep 27, 2007 8:20 AM (in response to roy c)

Tired of all the usual routes around my neighborhood, I headed over to the rail trail for 5 miles.  At the start of my run, the full moon was bright, but it was behind clouds within the first mile.  By the time I finished I was in a thick fog.  I ran miles 3 and 5 at just over 5k pace just to make things interesting.

----

Dave[/URL" target="_blank">

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 26, 2007 10:13 PM (in response to roy c)

morning boomers,

Roy, thanks for starting. nice run. I agree! Larry, when you see baby bear, what are the odds mamma bear is close by? be careful!

progrica, enjoy your sitting. you earned it. chocolate? I'll be right there...

nice run/ workout mary. have wonderful time. Happy Anniversary!

SR, that's wonderful.

Holly, I talked to someone this morning on my cool-down walk whose wife has a bug, just in her lungs, coughs at night. doc said it's 'going around'. {{{ }}} except yours has gone from sore throat etc. to this, so it sounds even worse. take care of yourself.

good call, Mike ;-).

you too, Perch. yep, this oughta be fun.

weather just like Doug's. 57F, 91%H. almost unmeasured too! I hit start but it didn't, noticed it just after a mile. also counting on the route's consistant distance. I had looked at the time, so this should be close. 51:53, 5.15 miles, 166 ahr (that's more of a guess) 179 max, 10:04 ave. pace, 7:43 max.
    I did a little bit of L.T. hill stuff.
    Cement construction work was starting where I loop around about a 1000 times. awkward.

I just had a chance to glance at the rest of the pictures, will go back later. :-)

[http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Sep-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Sep-27-2007).]

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Sep 27, 2007 8:39 AM (in response to roy c)

.......2-hour hiking in about 20min from now
    =====================

.....''and Speaking of Therapists''............
    ----

pickles is still up with DD2, so I have to go to the Counselling Session alone........

.........last week pickles told her
    ''he hurt his hip and he's kind of cranky when he can't run''.....

the therapist said to me ''why do you feel this need to run??''

I told her
    ''doc,
    you either get it or you don't....
    .....if I have to expain it,,,,,,you don't get it''.........

what this has to do with leukemia  counselling is beyond me..............

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Sep 27, 2007 8:44 AM (in response to roy c)

quote:

Originally posted by tomwhite:

I told her
    ''doc,
    you either get it or you don't....
    .....if I have to expain it,,,,,,you don't get it''.........

Good answer, tw!

----

- Runnin' in Rochester

Rochrunner[/URL" target="_blank">

• PBJ027 Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 18, 2004
    14. Sep 27, 2007 9:09 AM (in response to roy c)

Bzzzzzzz.  Slam.  BZZZZZZ.  SLAM!

But the buzzing just kept getting louder and louder. There was no snooze button on an alarm clock to biff. My head was pounding! Did the Bro actually taze me? I slowly opened my eyes, and tried to focus through the fog.

Was it all a dream? I rolled over to give the Long-suffering Mrs. PBJ a love pat, but I tumbled to the floor. This wasn’t my bed, it was a small foam mattress in what seemed to be a hospital ward.

I lifted my hand to the back of my head, and felt a rather large lump at the source of the throbbing. Oh my. Then I heard a familiar voice command, “Get up, little man!” Things were still blurry, but I could tell it was LiLo, and she was in a nurse’s uniform. For some strange reason, her nametag said Chet. Was I still dreaming?

Through the searing pain in my head, little details from the previous day began to emerge. I had run to the point of exhaustion, finally stopping at about 10 last night. Thanks to the beautiful harvest moon, I was able to see a nice park bench to rest on. I was feeling very light headed. Was it the lack of food? I took a couple of melted Goetze ® caramel creams out of my pocket, and popped them in my mouth. Tasty, but I still felt woozy.

Then it hit me. I was going through Spearsroids ™ withdrawal. I had been the lead guinea pig on the MarshMellow ™ flavor experiment. I was consuming gallons of the stuff, always careful to provide appropriate feedback on the formula – you know, the peaches need to be fuzzier, use more wild cherries in the mix – comments like that. I guess I was addicted to MarshaMellow ™.

I realized I needed help. I called Lilo’s agent on speed dial, and told her where I was. I knew she could get me a spot in rehab, particularly since there would be a free bed now that LiLo was getting out.

Then I blacked out. I can only guess that as I was falling to the ground, the back of my head must have smacked the bench. At least that explains the lump. Oh, man - concussion #4. My first concussion happened when I was about 5. I did a cliffs of Acapulco dive from the picnic table into the kiddie pool. Unfortunately, there were only four inches of water in the pool. My second concussion happened as I was going over some speed bumps at the movie theater in my firebird low rider. I was apparently going too slow for the car behind me, who pulled up beside me and took a baseball bat to my driver’s side window (and my head). Smashing. The third concussion came when PBJster #2 was born. I was playing the good birthing coach until things started to gush. I promptly fainted, banging my head against the cinder block wall as I went down. And now this one.

“Hey PBJ!” I snapped out of my reminiscence into my present situation. Scanning the ward, I noticed that there were other celebrity friends here. Alan Jackson was sitting on an adjacent bed, strumming his acoustic guitar. He was singing “I Gave My Love a Cherry.” Danny DeVito was here as well, giving me a rather curious look. And Britney was here. She was dressed in a skimpy nurse’s outfit as well. But her nametag said “Rat.” Something wasn’t right.

I called to Danny, “Hey Danny, what’s going on here?” But he made no reply. “He’s not Danny, he’s Martini,” was the response from LiLo. “Martini? But I don’t drink,” was the only comeback I could think of. “This doesn’t seem like Hazelton.”

“It’s not. Welcome, Mr. McMurphy. It’s time for your operation.”

Gulp.

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...