Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8183 Views 88 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2007 7:16 AM by dshclio Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 19, 2007 5:17 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)
    Re: Left Brain/Right Brain - Where's your head?

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Horse:

It may be worth pointing out, I really wasn't sure how to answer most of the questions. What does the result of several guesses add up to? Extreme uncertainty, conceptual chaos, a black howling void of randomness.

Exhibit A: "I am conventional." Well, I make lots of life choices that conventional people don't make. On the other hand, I like to maintain a healthy bank balance and wear clean clothes, and when I was being investigated for a security clearance, one of the Scout moms who knew me best told the investigator, "He's the straightest arrow I know." In many people's eyes, I pass for conventional. But is that the reality? Or merely the appearance? If you appear to others to act and be conventional, that would seem to be a good argument that you are, in fact, conventional. However, I am always ready to make choices in defiance of convention, and often do. So how do I evaluate the statement?

Exhibit B: "I am rule conscious." What does this mean? Yes, I would say I am very rule conscious. However, often I consciously choose to flout the rules. So how do I evaluate the statement?

Exhibit C: "I am very practical." I'm a whiz at analyzing financial decisions. In fact, my first professional job was as a budget and financial analyst at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government. I told them at my interview that I knew how to program on an IBM mainframe, and I taught myself computer programming on the job before they could realize I didn't know how. But I found the job very dull, and I quit to become ... a designer at the Harvard University Art Museums, teaching myself to use the recently invented Macintosh computer and desktop publishing software. Hmm, it's starting to sound like maybe I'm practical, if unfocused. But in most of my jobs, I eventually annoy someone important and have to leave. So how do I evaluate the statement?

Exhibit D: I could go on and ongee, I guess I already havebut I'll finish by looking at the first two statements on the test, "I am a risk taker" and "I tend to take precautions." These sound like opposites, right? Well, I habitually take risks. However, because I know they are risks, I also tend to take precautions to minimize them. Once again ... how do I evaluate the statements?

Dark Horse

Dear Headless Horseman.

You are REALLY overthinking this. Just wing it and go with your gut.  No need to suffer paralysis from analysis.

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    31. Oct 19, 2007 5:43 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

quote:

Originally posted by choover:

Dear Headless Horseman.

You are REALLY overthinking this. Just wing it and go with your gut. No need to suffer paralysis from analysis.

c-hoovie,

When making big decisionsand all too often in daily lifeI do what I feel.

However, when someone presents me with numbered questions on a standardized test, I tend to analyze.

This approach has served me well on standardized tests throughout my life. However, on loosey-goosey tests like this one, maybe not so much.

It's true that I sometimes analyze test questions more than the test designers apparently want me to. Last month at the end of my two week Army school we took a three-hour fill-in-the-blank test. The tests were turned in. The instructor started discussing the answers with us. He knew the grades but we didn't.

I raised my hand to complain because a number of the military intelligence questions, which happens to be my area of what for lack of a better word I'll call expertise, were badly worded and admitted of more than one answer. I was told, "Shut up, Sgt. Horse, you got 100%." I immediately shut up, because as any lawyer knows, you immediately stop talking when you get the result you are after. But the fact remains, it was a poorly worded test in some respects.

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• Egret Legend 406 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    32. Oct 19, 2007 5:48 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Snork.
    The commentary is far more interesting than the test itself.
    I think I'm kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Brain Lateralization Test Results

Right Brain |||||||||||||||| 64%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||| 54%
    *results won't usually add up to 100%
    as this test measures each side separately

Overall you appear to be Right Brain Dominant

egret

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    33. Oct 19, 2007 5:51 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Egret has the brains millbot and I are missing.

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Oct 19, 2007 6:16 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Is there a prize for lowest combined total?

Right Brain|||| 18%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||| 52%

I wonder what the remaining 30% of me is. Middle Brain I would guess 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    35. Oct 19, 2007 7:06 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

It looks like men tend to lean to the left and women to the right.  Weird the way we're different.  I wonder which is better...  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

Right Brain |||||||||| 34%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||||||| 72%

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• GrayDave Pro 184 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    37. Oct 19, 2007 7:44 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

My results (finally):

Right Brain |||||||||| 36%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||||| 66%

Although this statement is one that makes the whole thing suspect: "According to Darwinian theory, optimal evolution takes place with random variation and selective retention."    Having read some of his stuff, I'm not overly impressed with Darwin.  (And it's hard to understand how his theories became all the rage.)

• WillRunForBeer004 Legend 493 posts since
    Jan 8, 2006
    38. Oct 19, 2007 7:56 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Right Brain |||||||||| 38%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||||| 62%

That's me!

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Oct 19, 2007 8:18 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Right-----32<br />Left

64<br />==========<br />TOTAL-96

.......hhhhmmm........maybe I had more fun in the 60's than I remember.....

.....4% of My Brain seems to be missing.....

• SkipAZ Legend 581 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    40. Oct 19, 2007 8:42 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Right Brain &#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124; 16%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||||||| 82%

This may explain my port-side list.  And also the sucking sound when I clear my right ear.  And maybe my chronic hip alignment issues.  I need to research this further.

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Dec 26, 2007 10:43 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

quote:

Originally posted by millbot:

Right Brain |||||||||| 38%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||| 52%

Cool, I have the emptiest brain yet!

ha, millbot, i win that prize. (r 32, l 54) but i'm going to take it again. same issues as dh & econo..
    'i prefer routine': if it's dictated by someone else, i hate it. i use it myself because it's the only way i've found to get some of the critical boring things done with minimum agony. so, do i prefer it?

there's a cool breeze blowing through my head.

eta, sorry Jim, you win. I hadn't read page 2.
    i took 2 other versions, still a left tilt but "Overall you appear to have fairly Equal Hemispheres"

[http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Oct-19-2007).|http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Oct-19-2007).]

• seemomgo Pro 164 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    42. Dec 26, 2007 10:43 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Right Brain &#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124; 16%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||||||| 74%

Where is my other 10%??? I know I filed it right with the other 90%! Now where did it go to? I must redo my files. I'll probably have to stay up all night to finish this task - either that, or go skydiving (yeah right, like that's ever gonna happen!).

Edited because I had a typo and we anal retentive people can't tolerate that.

[http://This message has been edited by seemomgo (edited Oct-19-2007).|http://This message has been edited by seemomgo (edited Oct-19-2007).]

• MustangSally066 Legend 643 posts since
    Mar 29, 2007
    43. Oct 19, 2007 11:26 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

As good as a dead even split on the L/R thing, but I cannae make the lassie go onyway boot clockwise.

----

Mustang Sally
    Boomers and Beyond wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• JJJessee Legend 774 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    44. Oct 19, 2007 11:51 PM (in response to Sans Souci027)

Right Brain &#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124; 62%
    Left Brain |||||||||||| 46%

whoudathunk

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...