Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7712 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2008 11:22 AM by Ribbie RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 25, 2007 11:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: What was your first marathon?

1987 NYC marathon-I was in my 20s and life was relatively uncluttered. I ran a 3:18 and didn't fully absorb the power of that marathon at the time.   <br /><br />One of my former teammates convinced me to try and since we didn't have track or cross country to train for, it seemed like the next goal. <br /><br />I don't remember many of the miles, but will never ever forget my father's voice reaching me through all those other voices in Central Park. His deep voice carried me over the finishthe father who drove all over the state and the eastern seaboard to get a fleeting glimpse as I ran through my high school and college years. It was the last time he saw me compete and every marathon I run now (27 to date and counting), I do for him.<br /><br />In those days, it was pretty easy to enter and get a number and I was living in NY, so I didn't have to travel far. Choosing a local marathon has many benefits and you are much closer to hugs from family and friends that way. I have run huge marathons and very small ones (Stowe, VT with just 30 entrants-now defunct) and they've been amazing experiences no matter what.

I am excited for you Tammy and hope you will love the whole experience.

CNY

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Oct 25, 2007 11:45 PM (in response to Tamalina)

After completely wasting my 20’s I finally discovered running at the age of 32, and it might have saved my life. At the end of that year I ran my first race, a 10k, and was hooked for good. A year later, in December of 1978, I ran the Fiesta Bowl Marathon, my first at that distance, in 2:48:23. To this day it ranks as one of my greatest thrills ever, running or otherwise.

• Soundrunner Legend 408 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    17. Oct 25, 2007 11:45 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Portland, 2001.  Was a popular one for the running group (still is).  Drove down with husband, kids (3 and 6 at the time) and good gal friend.  DS was stung by a bee in the car and threw up, all within an hour of being on the road from Seattle.  The weekend didn't get much more relaxed after that...(but was happy all were there for my first).

Still ran a 3:42 and qualified for Boston. Not sure how I ever pulled that off. Solid training and determination, I guess.

I think Portland is a great first marathon choice.  I'm sure Eugene would be, too. 

• TomD026 Pro 124 posts since
    Dec 14, 2003
    18. Dec 26, 2007 11:01 PM (in response to Tamalina)

1986 Los Angeles Marathon and the 1987 LA Marathon was my second one.

I did my first marathon on a dare from a friend. The plan was to run the first LA Marathon together. He was a no show.

I felt that I did poorly with a 4:38, so I decided to do one more to break 4:30. The LA Marathon in 1987 was even worst, then the 1987 Long Beach Marathon was a 5:02.

Then moving to Nebraska the Summer of 1987 and running the 1987 Omaha Marathon with a 4:17. But after running 4 marathons, I wanted to do 10 marathons. On and on, I was hooked.

If I had broke 4:30 in my first marathon, I may have never run another one.

I kept doing local marathons until my 6th, which was the Longest Day Marathon in Brookings, SD.

TomD

[http://This message has been edited by TomD (edited Oct-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by TomD (edited Oct-26-2007).]

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    19. Oct 26, 2007 4:26 AM (in response to Tamalina)

The Bayshore Marathon back in 07.  It's small and local.  The encouragement and support from Boomers deserve much of the credit for getting me to the starting line.

----

Have Fartlek - Will Travel, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    20. Oct 26, 2007 5:02 AM (in response to Tamalina)

You already know, Tamster, that I picked local as well, for both of mine.  I wanted to sleep in my own bed the night before, and not knowing what shape I'd be in when I was done, and thinking DH might not be there to drive me home, I wanted to be able to drive myself home afterward.

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• flkjr52096 Legend 243 posts since
    Nov 14, 2006
    21. Oct 26, 2007 6:21 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Captained my HS cross country team in the 60's and ran some in college, but could never get into the longer distances. Played college basketball, then coached it at the high school level for quite a while and got away from running for a long time as I spent many years chasing my kids around as they played HS and college sports.

Then about eight years ago got back into running as a way to loose some weight (and maybe lower my BP a bit !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!) and realized what I had missed all those years. Since I had lost the speed I once had, the logical thing was to add distance to my running. As luck would have it, I hooked up with a veteran marathoner who was the inspiration for me to train and finally run a marathon. My first and maybe only one was the Baystate in Lowell, Ma. in Oct. 2006 about an hour from my home. A fall marathon with a flat course and great weather, close to home was the attraction for me.

I was driven to do it then, but I'm a 5k/10k guy and I'm not sure I'll ever have that drive to complete another one.

Good luck in yours, it is an amazing thing to do and you'll find out a lot about yourself along the way!

Fran

• predawnrunner Legend 297 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    22. Oct 26, 2007 7:17 AM (in response to Tamalina)

This is an interesting thread.

With my record for injury, I chose our local city marathon (Frederick MD) for my first so that I wouldn't have to bail on non-refundable travel arrangements. It was comforting to run along some routes that I had trained on for years.

CNYRunner - your posting about your father was touching. The nurses at my dear-old-dad's nursing home told me last weekend that he was telling everyone there about my BQ. She said that he got a little teary each time he recounted the story. Given that he can just barely speak at all, I know he must be very proud. He's a tough guy, but his life is at mile 26 about now and the going is rough. He inspires me.

We're excited for you Tammy! Let us know what you decide.

----

Predawnrunner[/URL" target="_blank">, aka mrs W.R.F. Beer

• MrPHinNJ Amateur 139 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    23. Oct 26, 2007 7:48 AM (in response to Tamalina)

I just completed my first marathon this month.  I chose Steamtown.  It was relatively local, although it was far enough away that I did stay at a motel the night before, but it was only an hour an a half ride home.  The size (1500 finishers) was what I was looking for.  The only complaints that I had heard were about the severe downhills early in the race.

I couldn't have asked for more. The race was well organized. Crowd support was great. The early downhills weren't that bad, I just rode them down, not pushing it, but not breaking alot either. There was a school close to the finish where the runners could shower. It was nice to be able to do that before the ride home. It was warm that day, but you can't have everything. ... And I achieved my time goal.

Yeah, my quads were sore for a few days, but it was all worth it.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    24. Oct 26, 2007 8:18 AM (in response to Tamalina)

I did Detroit in 1999, at the end of my first year of distance running. The finish was in Tiger Stadium, just a month after the last-ever baseball game was played there, and the first year that they used the bridge to cross into Canada.

This was before the days of half-marathons, or at least before they became a standard part of marathon events, but some friends convinced me to enter and "just run half of it" to get an idea of what it was like. My long run in training was 12 miles, which was also the longest run of my life.

So on race morning I got caught up in the excitement and got the wild idea to just run it all. Increasing my mileage from 12 to 26.2 miles in one day was a really stupid idea, but I did manage to finish in 5:15 at the cost of a couple of toenails and several months of nagging injuries. Believe me, I was much better trained for every marathon and other run that I've done since then!

----

- Runnin' in Rochester

Rochrunner[/URL" target="_blank">

• DaveinAA035 Legend 742 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    25. Oct 26, 2007 8:22 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Cleveland marathon, 1979. A local race for me, because I was too young to drive! 3:48 off my 9th grade 800m training... those were the days...

----

DaveinAA[/URL" target="_blank">

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Oct 26, 2007 8:32 AM (in response to Tamalina)

1995 Marine Corps Marathon - caters to first timers, I lived in Arlington VA so it was local with a bunch of races leading up to it, and I was poor so not travelling was a good thing!

My dad's first was a massive mistake - a little tiny 80 person race in the middle of nowhere. He was pretty much by himself within a mile or two! I think the first one should be at least a medium sized race (2-3,000 or more) - you'll get lots of energy from the other runners and spectators and the whole atmosphere will make it enjoyable. PLUS - you can pick up a few hundred tips from other runners during the race.

Whether or not to travel - if you have the luxury of a local race that's good for first timers, decent sized and well supported, I think it's a great way to go. You can connect with local running groups all training for the same goal, train on the course to get comfortable with it, and sleep in your own bed before the race. The key is to take as much stress out of it as you can.

I've heard great things about Eugene so that's probably a great option for you.

----

Pacer Dude[/URL" target="_blank">

• WillRunForBeer004 Legend 493 posts since
    Jan 8, 2006
    27. Dec 26, 2007 11:01 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I watched PDR run her first marathon in Frederick, MD in 2005.  Since it was a local, small, event, I was able to drive around and view her at several locations, giving some sustenance I think at around mile 18.

Watching her run this, her much sought after achievement, inspired me to start running shortly thereafter.

My first marathon was also in Frederick, in April 2006. I ran with PDR (her third), and met Perchcreek there as well.

Thanks, Harriet, for getting me started.

[http://This message has been edited by WillRunForBeer (edited Oct-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by WillRunForBeer (edited Oct-26-2007).]

• rosecoloredglasses Legend 849 posts since
    Aug 12, 2005
    28. Oct 26, 2007 8:51 AM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by PacerChris:

1995 Marine Corps Marathon - caters to first timers, I lived in Arlington VA so it was local with a bunch of races leading up to it, and I was poor so not travelling was a good thing!

HEY!
    PacerChris!
    The 1995 Marine Corps Marathon was my first marathon TOO!

I had resurrected my running career (ha!) in 1993. I spent a few years having babies, the last one was born Feb. 1993)

In the summer of 1993, a friend/neighbor told me, "Rose, I bet you run a marathon within the next 2 years."

I laughed in his face and said, "No way!"

How prophetic that guy was!

Okay, back to to the discussion...

I think there is merit in both local and destination marathons.  Whatever you choose, embrace the experience and it will be the right choice.

• dselby3 Pro 117 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    29. Oct 26, 2007 9:06 AM (in response to Tamalina)

My first marathon was to be the Omaha Marathon in October, 1997.  However, there was a freak ice storm the weekend before the race, tons of trees knocked down, power lines, etc.  The race was shortened to a half marathon.  The organizers did a good job of just getting a clear course for the half.  There were still power lines down off to the sides in several areas. I didn't know until race morning that it was to only be a half.  Ran it anyway.

So, first marathon was Lincoln, Nebraska, in May, 1998. Finished on the University track (this was the last time we have done that). Course was awesome, organization great, ran it in 3:57, and was hooked. I have run Lincoln every year since, number 11 in a row will be in 2008.

----

Dave

The truth is you can always run faster; sometimes the truth hurts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...