Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7452 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2008 11:22 AM by Ribbie RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2007 7:10 PM

What was your first marathon?

Contemplating my possible first marathon in the spring and wanting to pick a race as close to being local as possible (Eugene for me) got me thinking . . . . if you've run a marathon, which one was it? local? did you travel for it? pick an exotic location? did you have a reason for picking the one you did?

----

Tamalina[/URL" target="_blank">

• Tetsujin30 Legend 945 posts since
    Jan 1, 2006
    1. Oct 25, 2007 7:34 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: What was your first marathon?

tammy - definitely a support-your-local-athletics as much as possible with the finish line about a half a mile away for mine undertaken as incentive for a couple of months of boring weekend running substituting for beloved ski races that had been washed out with unseasonable rains. 

In light of something I just saw but sure never saw in those days, FR was event t-shirt, gym trunks and Nike Waffle Stompers.

• Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    2. Oct 25, 2007 7:35 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Marathon to Athens, Greece.

'Cuz I thought it might be my One and Only, so why not make it a grand one and then sail the southern coast of Turkey?

(Anyone care to join me to do it again in 2011?)

Good luck, Tammy -- whatever location you decide.

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Oct 25, 2007 7:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Ahhh, the true uniform of the college kid on the Equinox!!
    Tammy, my first marathon was also the Equinox (funny we're your first posters!), and it's because it was local, and something I'd always wanted to do. I'll probably always do it every year I'm able, but now I also like to travel for marathons, sort of a destination vacation thing... (second was Napa... do I need to explain why?    )

----

evanflein[/URL" target="_blank">

• lyndenrunner078 Legend 421 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 25, 2007 7:45 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Portland,because I got to meet all those terrific boomers.

My DW's boss told me to try Portland first as he enjoyed it so much...

----

Gordon
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Oct 25, 2007 7:49 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Oh darn!  I never even considered Athens.  What a dope I am.

I did local. But I have to admit, here in NE there are about 5, fall, flat, marathons all billed as the perfect BQ.

I have to admit Hartford is my favorite. I slept 7 miles from the start at my MIL's house. We didn't plan it, but my marathon mentor, pulled in and parked next to me.

CAIgr

• tonya921 Rookie 376 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 25, 2007 7:57 PM (in response to Tamalina)

My first was in the city in which I reside currently, the Omaha Marathon.
    It was my first, and so far, my only. I finished in 3:22:40, and I also
    finished as the Overall Woman (not expected, but it happened)!

So anyway, I would suggest doing a local marathon, simply because

1. You don't have to get adjust to the elevation, if different, nor do
    you have jetlag.

2. There are less participants than in the bigger marathons (Chicago,
    Portland, etc), therefore, less competition. Not that competition is
    bad, because the more the better, in my opinion. I don't know,
    because I've only done one marathon, but I figure it might get
    kind of crowded and "herd-like" in those bigger marathons.

3. You might possibly win! (If you are well-trained and very
    self-motivated, which, I was)

And have fun!!!

----

tonya[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Log[/URL" target="_blank">

Omaha Marathon 09/23/07 -- OA Female Winner/BQ/PR (First Marathon)
    Boston Marathon 04/2008 -- New York Marathon 11/2008

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    7. Oct 25, 2007 7:59 PM (in response to Tamalina)

My first marathon was back in 1986.….the inaugural  Los Angeles Marathon.  That was a long time ago and to be honest I don’t really know why I decided to run it …… I guess maybe because of the media hype and I had been running for about 3 years and was fascinated with how far I could possibly run….. I loved 10 to 15 mile training runs  and I think I was curious if I could go the 26.2.  I did like the idea of trying marathon that was fairly close to home and was happy afterwards that I only had a 30 min drive home….. with no gels or Gatorade on the course I really wasn’t in any shape to have a post race celebration even though my wife had packed a wonderful picnic lunch for us including a bottle of the bubbly.

• rlemert Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 25, 2007 8:11 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Hi Tammy

Don't know if I'll make it out to Eugene next spring, but even if I do I'm not sure I'll have earned my "license" to run the full marathon by then. That's about the time frame I'm looking at for my "license" attempt - i.e. doing a half in less than two hours so my wife will agree to my training for another full.

Anyway, the only full marathon I've done was Miami in '06. It wasn't so much my choice as it was that of the charity (PanCAN - Pancreatic Cancer Action Network) that I was running for (I had a co-worker with the disease). They chose it because they usually have a lot of first-timers and they thought this would be a good first-time course. It was. Big enough to be an event, but not a monster event like Chicago or New York. Also, it's a very flat course and a "destination" city. The first couple of miles goes by Cruise Ship Row, and we had two ships coming in to port during the early stages of the race. Some northerners complained about it being too hot (end of January), but I thought it was ideal (mid 70's).

I did have to fly to Miami, but no jet lag since I'm already EST. The only problem I had was flying back that evening. The walk from the check-in to the gate at the airport was a worse marathon than the one I'd run that morning <g>.

• dshclio Legend 264 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Oct 25, 2007 8:13 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I picked one close to home. Detroit Free Press-04,  I have now done this one 4 times.  I am not sure though whether I will do it next year or not.  I would love to do Eugene so I could go to Hayward Field and see where the greats have run.
         I do plan on running Portland some day for my fall race.. I was adopted in Germany in 59 and my birth mother and brother immagrated to U.S in 63, so it would give me chance to meet them if they wanted to.  Good Luck at Eugene, this is the second year I think,  Marathon Derrick

• Currently Being Moderated
    10. Oct 25, 2007 8:32 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Marine Corps Marathon, 1982, with the propitious time of 4:17. I was on active duty in the Marines and stationed in DC. I did it on a dare, and finished despite not having run over three miles during my regular noon-time jaunts around Arlington National Cemetery. I think there were a whopping 6,500 starters that year--it's grown a bit over the years.

Lynn

• JJJessee Legend 774 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    11. Oct 25, 2007 9:42 PM (in response to Tamalina)

2007 my first.
    The Va Creeper (rail)Trail that I run on about 6 of 7 has a marathon in spring.100 person first-come-first-serve pre-registration limit. Very low key. Come to find out, quiet a smogasboard of runners have ran it, a WS100 champion, the Mt. Masochist 50M female recordholder, to the painfully mortal like myself.

stay in your comfort zones for venue, 26+ miles is challenge enough.
    jjj

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    12. Oct 25, 2007 9:57 PM (in response to Tamalina)

local one for me, 86 honolulu marathon.  my training wasn't anything spectacular, just ran it for fun.  <reminisce> young kids can do that and still run 3:16... ahh, those were the days. </reminisce>

the race was huge, 15,000 i think. and i passed about 6,000 people in the first 8 miles... dumb dumb dumb, started too far back. knew nothing about marathoning (still don't) but just had a blast and enjoyed it.

there are so many things to keep track of during a marathon and the training process that you probably don't want the added pressure of traveling and running on unknown roads during your first one.  stay local, learn the course, relax and have fun.

• runwun Legend 352 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Oct 25, 2007 10:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)

For me it was the 1984 chicago marathon,i did it just to get into shape and get my life in order,ran it in 3:27,it was a dual start and started at the daly plaza center........

• sheriebaby Pro 215 posts since
    Dec 1, 2006
    14. Oct 25, 2007 10:43 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I probably don't deserve to post here since I haven't run a full marathon yet, but I did sign up with a girlfriend to run the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon June 1st.  I choose it because it's supposed to have a lot of entertainment along the route, it's a fairly flat course, I was told it's a good first timer's marathon and San Diego is only 1 1/2 hour drive from my house.  So although I will have to get up early to drive to the start, it's close enough where I don't have to rent a hotel, book a flight or rent a car but far enough away to make it feel like I traveled for something really special.

Good luck on your training for your 1st full marathon, I hope we both make it!!

Sherie

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...