Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3706 Views 56 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2007 2:24 AM by evanflein Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 5, 2007 1:07 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)
    Re: Wed. Dec. 5 Boomer Sproiks

quote:

Originally posted by evanflein:

Thanks Holly, the eyes feel ok today. Sort of burning last night. I did ask a running friend about it, and he said it might have been combination of the wind (although it was at my back on the way down the hill) and the dry air.

Erika, I've had that same thing happen a couple of times when out at zero or below (rare in these parts, but it does happen a couple times a winter). I thought it was possible that, since the wind and cold was making my eyes water anyway, that maybe there was actually a very thin layer of ice forming. I think that even salty water can freeze at those temperatures, so it might be possible.

In any case, no apparent damage was done -- just blurry vision until I came back inside.

----

- Runnin' in Rochester

Rochrunner[/URL" target="_blank">

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    31. Dec 5, 2007 1:12 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by evanflein:

57 degrees and I'm strippin' layers and leavin' them on doorknobs! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

notes to self:  scribble... scribble... install doorknobs on rental van for del sol relay.... scribble... scribble... pray for 58f.... scribble...scribble...

• choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    32. Dec 5, 2007 1:27 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by mcsolar99:

notes to self: scribble... scribble... install doorknobs on rental van for del sol relay.... scribble... scribble... pray for 58f.... scribble...scribble...

I think someone needs to go take a cold shower.

• Better than yesterday Legend 767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Dec 5, 2007 1:27 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Don't worry vista, WE believe you.

One of the benefits to taking time off every year is it gives me a chance to review what I've done in the past 12 months and to contemplate what I want to do in the coming year, with a separation of the emotional, physical and mental. I'm just starting to come to some realizations to apply to next year's training and goal setting, one of which is that I'd rather spend my time training for shorter races (10k and shorter) than 15k and over. That will have a hugh bearing on how I train this coming year.

Anyway, more about that later. I'm heading out for a 3 to 4 miler, depending on the weather. Weather.com says 27, feels like 17. Not sure I have the clothes for feels like 17.
    ----

Whoops - Forgot to hit submit reply before I went out, so here I am at 1:50 - run is dun. 4 miles (3 + 1 bonus) in 37:30 = 9:23 pace, right on target for slow and easy. I did feel my left calf as I started out - soreness from yesterday's stair workout at lunch time. But it's good soreness, in the muscle, not tendon pain.

bty

• Currently Being Moderated
    34. Dec 26, 2007 11:37 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Here I am taking a break from writing--"let's see what's on the daily thread since I posted".....whoa! undergarments, missing slips, undie fashion shows and now mc praying for mild temps. I need a warning lest I spit my coffee all over my keyboard. <br /><br />By the way, fleece thongs are far better for daily wear...save the fur string ones for special occasions or races. goodness.<br /><br />Surely you own some "running divas" undergarments? Sorry guys (well with the exception of Vista perhaps) check them out boomer ladies.<br /><br />Soundrunner-your weekend plans sound fabulous. I also read your note about the 5k time. I say we are both primed to grab some 5k, half-marathon and marathon PRs. Let's do it and OWN these two coasts! ......Just saw the article you linked. So sad and awful indeed.

Okay.....I haven't stopped giggling but I have to write the conclusion to this jumbo client report before the school bus arrives. CNYrunner son agreed to go shopping for new clothes and I can't miss the window.

CNY

[http://This message has been edited by CNYrunner (edited Dec-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by CNYrunner (edited Dec-05-2007).]

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    35. Dec 26, 2007 11:37 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by vista129:

I was sure their only two thoughts were......"Is he a pervert?.....or a shop lifter?"

Happy running everyone.

Not to worry...In this country of ours, you can be both!!!!!

3.5 miles today

----

SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by smpankowski (edited Dec-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by smpankowski (edited Dec-05-2007).]

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    36. Dec 5, 2007 2:02 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Soundrunner – a surf lesson?  How awesome!  But won’t it be coooollllldddddd?  (that’s my teeth beginning to chatter at the thought)

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• old guy015 Pro 62 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Dec 5, 2007 2:41 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Snowy morning and the roads are slick, so I worked out on the dreadmill. 6 miles, 60 minutes. Here's hoping I can get outside tomorrow.

On the subject of underwear.........
    Three men died on Christmas Eve and were met by Saint Peter at the pearly gates.

'In honor of this holy season' Saint Peter said,'You must each possess something that symbolizes Christmas to get into heaven.'

The first man fumbled through his pockets and pulled out a lighter. He flicked it on. 'It represents a candle', he said.

'You may pass through the pearly gates' Saint Peter said.

The second man reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. He shook them and said, 'They're bells.'

Saint Peter said 'You may pass through the pearly gates'.

The third man started searching desperately through his pockets and finally pulled out a pair of women's panties.

St. Peter looked at the man with a raised eyebrow and asked, 'And just what do those symbolize?'

The man replied, 'These are Carols.'

And So The Christmas Season Begins......

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    38. Dec 26, 2007 11:37 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)
  • vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Dec 5, 2007 3:20 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

5 miles in......still on track for my goal.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

We have had snow in the mountains today with some counties sending kids home from school. Accumalation? NONE.......but there were flakes in the air.

----

vista129[/URL" target="_blank">

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Dec 5, 2007 3:25 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by smpankowski:

Not to worry...In this country of ours, you can be both!!!!!

......I love it.......

• tallrunner Legend 573 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    41. Dec 5, 2007 3:27 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Wow,

Love the undergarment discussion...sexy...

uh on to other things.

No running today just the bike workout my coach gave me.

15 minutes ez on the spinning bike
    5X5 minutes at 250watts then 2 minute rest intervals
    15 minutes ez...

Wife got all the fans, note to self, buy a high energy fan...wow talk about sweat, luckily I have one of those rubberized mats under my bike.

Tonight I coach basketball and participate in my first competiitive men's basketball game in two years. Time to sharpen the elbows.

Take care
    Happy happy Tall

Tomorrow my lady friend is taking me to karaoke, she is an amazing singer..I am not..gulp

• enkephalin Legend 243 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Dec 5, 2007 3:35 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Ok, so the math thingy.....has anyone noticed how SLOW cashiers are when you give them CASH for your purchase.  Yesterday I gave the woman exact change in dollars and coins for my purchase and she took forever to decide that it was the right amount.  Not even trying to trip her up by giving her $20.26 for a $10.16 purchase.

Sorry for the digression... anyway, I was a good girl today and did not run, even after I bought at new pairs of Asics 2130's.  I love them!!  ....feel like little pillows on my feet....

• henrun074 Legend 254 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. Dec 5, 2007 3:53 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Marj and I have been running the texas circuit getting ready for dallas half.  today and yesterday we ran an hour on the Town Lake on the Colorado River in Austin.
    weather report: mid to high 70's both days bright sun
    fashion report: singlets and shorts and sunglasses, no thongs or Lance sightings

a couple of days ago, we ran on the San Antonio Riverwalk - tomorrow the Big D

• wildchild083 Pro 126 posts since
    Jan 30, 2006
    44. Dec 5, 2007 4:37 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Five warm breezy miles today at lunch - it's 52 degrees!  Yesterday it was even warmer but the wind was howling, so I went to the rec center after work and did 4 miles on the track, including a speedy (for me) second mile at 8:52, and a 100-meter sprint of 21 seconds (a 5:38/mile pace, but there's no way I could keep up the pace for a mile!)  All undergarments present and accounted for.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

My 14-year old DD has just started the C25K and I don't want to pressure her at all, but I'm so excited that she wants to run!  I'm worried that anything mom is into might be uncool, so I'm trying to be supportive but aloof, if that makes any sense.  Oh, and mcsolar, my DD is helping bring up the average scores at her school - she just got her PSAT results, and she got a 75/80 on the math portion!  Which is pretty darned impressive for a 14 year old. Not that I'm bragging or anything...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...