Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4973 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2007 3:03 PM by soot Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Iapetus999 Pro 145 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 12, 2007 12:28 PM (in response to dshclio)
    Re: HAVE YOU MET YOUR RUNNING GOALS FOR THE YEAR?

I'm not sure if I posted these anywhere:
    1) Break 30 min 5K: topped out at 28:42!
    2) Break 2:30 HM: topped out at 2:21:45!
    3) 1000 miles...looks like I'll get to 900+ but not 1K...still a yearly PR
    I had a few sick/injured/recovery weeks in there but I hit my mileage goal most weeks (20+ miles minimum)

----

-Andy
    Competing in 5Ks and HM's
    My running/writing blog:
    http://blog.dawnsrise.com/2007/10/running-gear.html
    PS it's iapetus NOT Lapetus

• Sherie Ranier033 Amateur 36 posts since
    Nov 3, 2006
    16. Dec 12, 2007 1:55 PM (in response to dshclio)

I usually participate in those goals lists, maybe I was on page 1? 

Anyway, not knowing exactly what I listed for my goals, I'd say I reached every single one!!

I ran 14 half marathons this year
    Stayed injury free
    Set a PR in the 1/2 marathon distance
    Met new boomers
    Maintained my weight the entire year

I'll come up with more for 2008, but the list will probably still look the same.

Sherie

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    17. Dec 12, 2007 2:05 PM (in response to dshclio)

wow Sherie! I didn't realize you ran so many HM's! That's great!

At the beginning of 2007, these were the goals I wrote down in my running journal:

1. To run a 5K in the 25 min range
    2. Stay consistent with weight training to develop stronger legs
    3. train slowly and not flare-up ITBS
    4. run a half marathon in a sub 2:10
    5. run a marathon
    6. annual mileage of at least 800 miles.

I have achieved most of these goals. These are the races I ran this year:

1. Shamrock Run 5 miles (3/17) 46:20 (missed a PR by less than one min.)
    2. Pear Blossom 10 miles (4/14) 1:37:45 (PR by over 5 min)
    3. Avenue of the Giants HM (5/6) 2:11:43 (PR by default)
    4. Evans Valley Duathlon (6/16) I ran the 2 5K's in 26:53 and 27:30 (neither was a PR)
    5. Rooster Crow 5K (6/30) 26:28 (PR)
    6. Hellgate Challenge 12K (8/11) 1:03:45 (PR)
    7. Harvest Festival 10K (9/8 ) 55:17 (PR & 1st AG)
    8. Redwoods HM (10/21) 1:54:48 (PR by 16+ min)
    9. Pioneer Run 5K (11/10) 24:48 (PR)

So, I surpassed goal #1 of running a 5K in under 25 min.
    With Goal #2, I didn't always do regular leg strengthening exercises, but I certainly developed better toned legs and the muscles are more in balance. Goal #3 was met as I have not had any ITB issues in 2007. I think in part this is due to my leg muscles being better balanced, and also by training slowly, increasing mileage in very small increments, using my foam roller, having better fitted shoes and just being a smarter runner this year than I was last year.
    I surpassed my expectations on goal #4 by running my 2nd HM in not only under 2:10, but also under 1:55.
    I didn't attempt a marathon in 2007. I decided I'd wait another year so I could have more running as my base before increasing the mileage necessary to train for a full.
    And in respect to annual mileage, I've already gone over 800 miles and will probably end up the year somewhere around the mid 800's.

I'm pleased with my 2007 running year and looking forward to the new challenges I will set for myself for 2008 . . . . when I come up with them

----

Tamalina[/URL" target="_blank">

• rbbmoose Pro 324 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007
    18. Dec 12, 2007 2:07 PM (in response to dshclio)

Goal 1. - remain uninjured. - Nope - Ended up missing 3 months with a stress fracture.

Goal 2 - Marathon PR - Done (2:41:58 @Philly)

Ray

• Allen Freeman Pro 161 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    19. Dec 12, 2007 2:23 PM (in response to dshclio)

The goal when I started running in the fall of '06 was to run a marathon in fall '07. I reached that goal so you could say that I attained all of my goals. But along the way to the marathon I set the goal of finishing in 4 hours and I feel like that was my real 2007 goal. I missed that by less than 5 minutes, so I'll say that I missed my one and only 2007 goal.

Gee, thanks for helping me feel like a loser! :-)

----

Allen Freeman
    email
    www.allenf.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• Nordic Berserker Pro 189 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Dec 12, 2007 2:55 PM (in response to dshclio)

I may well have been on the 1st page or I didn't post them here. Anyway, here's what I had on another forum:

Dec 1, 2006<br />Next year, I want to start running 3-4 weeks earlier and seek a mid-summer peak for 10k and under. I'd like to run at least 2 of the bigger Anchorage races (they have the USATF 5k and 10k road championships there, as well as USATF track in July). After that I'm pretty open ended. Equinox is highly doubtful, but a lower 48 fall marathon (pondering Redwoods, Chicago, NYC) possible. It would also be nice to think about other things such as a half, or age group championship-type 10k in the lower 48, or just to get ready for the '08 World Masters for skiing, which will be in Idaho that winter.<br /><br />Get down to it, in your late 40s it's just nice to get out there and run and race and I'm just happy abou that. Hopefully, I'll have a few more years of this.

Let's see, I started running regularly about 2 weeks earlier (April 9, compared to late April). Didn't help a lot as I got injured right away (May1). Started out minor as a twisted ankle, but by Memorial Day I was crawling due to back imbalance that may have been due to compensation from the stiff ankle. Got that cleared up, but by July a hyperextended calf muscle (again, related to the twisted ankle) became bothersome and pretty much set me back all year.

So, no Anchorage races. No halves. No lower 48 marathon.

Nevertheless, I did race. Won 2 races outright (a 17:28 5k and 5:07 road mile) and placed pretty high at a number or other races, including a surprise 2nd at the rugged 16.5 mile Gold Discovery Run and 6th overall at the Midnight Sun Run 10k, which is one of the largest races in the state. Overall, could have been better but not bad for 49. The past month or two have gone very very well fitness wise, so I'm hoping for a healthier 08.

• soot Pro 157 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Dec 12, 2007 3:03 PM (in response to dshclio)

I don't think I formally wrote down my goals for '07 but I did manage the following:

1. stay relatively injury free (crossing fingers)
    2. run a sub 3:30 marathon
    3. run a 70 mile week
    4. run 2,000+ miles for the year

Although I'm really happy with the marathon, the 70 mile week actually feels like a bigger accomplishment.  I'm impressed with any of you that maintain that kind of mileage on a regular basis.  I think I might be able to do it if I didn't work full time (I didn't work that week), but running 10+ miles a day took a lot out of me.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...