Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3361 Views 59 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2007 12:38 AM by ultrab RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
ltrun Rookie 114 posts since
Jun 24, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2006 11:03 PM

Essential elements to running 100 miles

Ultra vets, what are they?

I ask, since this year I'm going for the Laurel Ultra. While there's no guarantee I'll like the distance, I'm of the mind to try a 100 someday. Couldn't hurt to ask some questions.

Just wondering what y'all think? Thanks, LT

• runhikelots Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 20, 2003
    1. Feb 2, 2006 6:14 AM (in response to ltrun)
    Re: Essential elements to running 100 miles

Walk the hills!

----

Wes
    Run 'til U Drop & I have

• Tom Thornton Rookie 49 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    2. Feb 2, 2006 7:30 AM (in response to ltrun)

Lloyd, knowing you the way I do, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict your Laurel Highlands time at right around fifteen hours, probably a little faster.  If you break 14:30, you are far more stud than I give you credit for.  Of course, the environment of the day may make you stay out there longer, or less, you just never know.

So... only another 30 miles, right?

In your first 100, expect that 30 miles to take another six to ten hours, depending on all the usual "depends-on" statements. It ain't like you're just doing another little ol' 50K. You'll need to somehow mentally get your brain around the notion of really being on the trail all day, puttin' one foot in front of the other.

Nutrition, hydration, foot care, and chafing. All way more important/crucial at the distances over 50 miles.

Carry toilet paper.

Tom

• CinCityRunner096 Rookie 50 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Feb 2, 2006 8:27 AM (in response to ltrun)

Some things I feel are important..

Know your pace and run it.

Run your own race, staying below your personal redline.

Keep your stomach in good shape, so that you can DRINK, and eat.

Use some sort of salt or electrolyte pills.

Don't quit or second-guess your ability. There will be times when you question what the heck you are doing out there.

Make sure you have tested and proven your shoes, socks, clothes and other gear.

Caffeine is your friend at night.

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
    4. Feb 2, 2006 9:56 AM (in response to ltrun)

Glad fyou asked this question Lloyd!

Just the answers I'm looking for as well.
    Craig

• mudrunner040 Rookie 375 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    5. Feb 2, 2006 12:18 PM (in response to ltrun)

Walk before you need to walk.
    Eat before you need to eat.
    Drink before you need to drink.

Bring a positive attitude & a flexible gameplan.

Pamper your feet.

Beware mile 66...seems to feel like the worst place in the race.

Take it easy for the first 99 miles, then give it all ya got. 

• RunFishRun Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 2, 2006 12:38 PM (in response to ltrun)

Determination.

Pace, don't get caught up with a pack of runners going out too fast early in the race.

Don't let the overall distance overwhelm you, just take each section (aid station to aid station) as an individual race.

Stay on top of nutrition, hydration, & electrolytes as stated above. (still working on these myself)

Be ready to deal with problems. Don't get discouraged when things go wrong because in a 100 miles things will go wrong.

Always remember, no matter how you feel at that moment in the race, good or bad, it will change soon. This is especially true latter in the race. Enjoy the good and look forward to feeling better when you feel bad. Think roller coaster!

Keep a thought of what it will be like to cross that finish line!

Did I mention determination!

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
    7. Feb 2, 2006 1:18 PM (in response to ltrun)

quote:

Originally posted by mudrunner:

Take it easy for the first 99 miles, then give it all ya got. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

That is sooooooo funny!  Run that last mile at sub7:00 pace

May 27, 2004
    8. Feb 2, 2006 2:43 PM (in response to ltrun)

quote:

Originally posted by crunningman:

That is sooooooo funny! Run that last mile at sub7:00 pace !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Hey, ya gotta save something for the end!
    Not too far from the truth either...Mike & were were doing 7:30's for the last 5 miles of Cascade Crest. Something about wanting to finish under a certain time.
    Runners r dum that way. 

• mudtoad Rookie 29 posts since
    Feb 1, 2006
    9. Feb 2, 2006 4:09 PM (in response to ltrun)

"Pamper your feet."

Please expound on this concept. Does it mean put duct tape on your feet before you need to put duct tape on your feet?

----

Clint
    its all good!

• bockhaus Rookie 23 posts since
    Jul 19, 2005
    11. Feb 3, 2006 7:02 AM (in response to ltrun)

Great advice. One more thing though. If you have a crew or pacer (very helpful for a first 100), listen to them unquestionably later in the race. They will still be relatively fresh, and you'll just be getting dumber. I know it saved my butt.

May 27, 2004
    12. Feb 3, 2006 6:16 PM (in response to ltrun)

quote:

Originally posted by mudtoad:

"Pamper your feet."

Please expound on this concept. Does it mean put duct tape on your feet before you need to put duct tape on your feet?

Lemme see... to me, it means:

-having spare socks in every drop bag (you don't have to change 'em everytime, but it's nice to do once in awhile)
    -changing shoes at least once during a race (even an identical pair will feel cushy)
    -spraying my feet with Body Shop peppermint mist when I change socks (I've never actually done this in a race, but I have after the finish...it feels nice & cool!)
    -fix hot spots before they become painful blisters
    -tighten your shoes when going for a big downhill (your toenails will thank you)
    - have a bucket of ice water to soak 'em in at the finish
    - bring a pair of the most comfy over-sized sandals for the finish line & personally apologize to each appendage & promise them that you'll never, ever do that again.
    -have a beer. A happy heart, means happy feet.

Cascade Crest 2004

May 27, 2004
    13. Feb 3, 2006 6:40 PM (in response to ltrun)

quote:

Originally posted by ltrun:

What about the macro training phases involved? What to do in the 6 or 12 months prior to the 100 miler?

Well, the simple thing is to build up the mileage...either by really long runs, or back to back long runs.
    There are some other "tricks" that can have a compounding effect on those miles. It's more of a mental game.
    Get used to running by headlamp/flashlight. You can run at night, but it makes it more interesting if you run into dusk & then night, or start really early & run through dawn.
    If you want to really get the feel of running long, then make sure you book one long run after a tough day of work. Wait 'til you get home, have dinner, watch a Seifeld re-run, then lace up your shoes at 10:00pm (bonus points if it's raining) & head out for 3 hours. This is a great way to simulate the mental gumption to get out of the aid station chair at mile 60.

• IRunLots110 Expert 107 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Feb 3, 2006 6:46 PM (in response to ltrun)

Man, I have so much respect for anyone who can run 100 miles.

----

Check Me Out[/URL" target="_blank">

What did I do today?[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...