Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2511 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2007 6:13 PM by angie16d 1 2 Previous Next
bobgreen012 Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 27, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2007 3:45 PM

7 Sisters Trail Race

7 Sisters Trail Race in Amherst, MA on May 6.

I've never done it before, but I used to run around in those mountains in college, and it would be fun to do it in the context of a race. Anyone from Boston heading out there for this? I'm in the market for a ride from Boston or nearby to the race. :)

Thanks
-
Bob

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Apr 20, 2007 5:04 PM (in response to bobgreen012)
    Re: 7 Sisters Trail Race

Same day as the GAC 6-Hour trail run in Topsfield... 3 mile loop... for 6 hours. FUN FUN FUN

• slowtwch Rookie 24 posts since
    Jul 16, 2006
    2. Apr 21, 2007 6:44 PM (in response to bobgreen012)

Sherpa John. The GAC site says the 6 hour run is on the 13th. Is that a mistake?

• dl999 Rookie 61 posts since
    Feb 18, 2007
    3. Apr 23, 2007 7:48 AM (in response to bobgreen012)

Yes the GAC 6 hour is a fund raiser for breast cancer and tradtionally it is on Mothers Day, the 13 of May...
    so Sherpa there it is...you can do BOTH!!!!!!!
    though from your reports I gather you have done quite enough lately! good job!

Im sorry I cant help you with a ride as I am in the opposite direction. This will be my first year doing this one and Im psyched...but the winners do 12 miles in just under 2 hours?
    just how insane IS this trail!!!???
    gaiters? recommend it?
    also looks like we should bring own drink as well, even though there are 3 aids stations....
    if anyone has done this and has some info about the race Id appreciate it.....

• rockhopper Rookie 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 23, 2007 11:39 AM (in response to bobgreen012)

quote:

Originally posted by dl999:

Im sorry I cant help you with a ride as I am in the opposite direction. This will be my first year doing this one and Im psyched...but the winners do 12 miles in just under 2 hours?
    just how insane IS this trail!!!???
    gaiters? recommend it?
    also looks like we should bring own drink as well, even though there are 3 aids stations....
    if anyone has done this and has some info about the race Id appreciate it.....

I've done it twice, and loved it.

It's one of the roughest trail races around. Many, many,
    very steep climbs/decents (reverse on way back), involving clambering over jagged rocks which are very slippery if wet. Almost no level in the whole thing. That's why it takes someone as good as Ben Nephew almost 2 hours to run only 12 miles.

Gaiters: not really necessary--not a lot of loose gravel but of course you could always get something in your shoe anyway.

Aid stations:   a well-stocked station at the 6 mile turn-around point.  Other than that there are a couple unattended spots with jugs of water on the ground.  I can't remember if there were cups, I think not, so it pays to carry a water bottle to refill.

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Apr 23, 2007 11:44 AM (in response to bobgreen012)

Hmm... OK... I'll think about BOTH in that case. Shouldn't be an issue...

Its all prep for the VT100 right?

No pain.. no gain
    No brain.. no pain

• dl999 Rookie 61 posts since
    Feb 18, 2007
    6. Apr 23, 2007 7:15 PM (in response to bobgreen012)

No brain=no pain
    love that
    so then you can do 7 sisters, the next weekend then do wapak on the 12th then the lil GAC jog on the 13th?

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Apr 23, 2007 7:43 PM (in response to bobgreen012)

12th is definately out... My nephews B-day Party... Mandatory Family Day.. ya know how it is?

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Apr 30, 2007 5:58 PM (in response to bobgreen012)

BUMP!

Who's going sunday!?

I'll be there!

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. May 3, 2007 6:55 AM (in response to bobgreen012)

i'm considering jumping in.  it's a 2.5 hour drive up there for me.  but may be able to stay w/family in hartford saturday night.

• localnovelty Rookie 74 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 3, 2007 6:09 PM (in response to bobgreen012)

I'm coming over from the Catskills. I've heard it said that Seven Sisters is like the Escarpment Trail but shorter  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

And I'll look for Sherpa to talk about the WS100 RunnersWorld contest; thanks for posting the info and what you found out on the ultralist. Maybe you can do the same here?

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    12. Dec 27, 2007 12:43 AM (in response to bobgreen012)

Yeah! Im going!
    Im totally psyched for it! But question maybe for Sherpa or anyone else...I like to 'do my own thing' as far as 'schedules' go....as I am doing the VT 100 I was thinking that a 20 mile run would be good idea for saturday and then do the race, but I have been hearing about how wicked this race is....would it be a a really bad idea to schedule this weekend for long runs?
    I really do not have any time goals for the sisters, just to spend some time on hard trails and have fun.

Ok I do have only one time goal: to beat my ex husband's time. As his PR there is 344, I think I can do that no problem, even with a 20 mile run the day before.

what do you think? well I think Im still going to run long on sat but Im curious to know what you all are doing.

[http://This message has been edited by StPauligirl (edited May-04-2007).|http://This message has been edited by StPauligirl (edited May-04-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007
    13. May 4, 2007 11:50 AM (in response to bobgreen012)

I'm running on a track up in the Lakes Region of NH for 6 hours on Saturday. This should result in a 50K (or slightly more) run.

Then Sunday I plan to run 7 Sisters as a fun run.. Good hill training for the VT100 and GREAT hill training on tired legs. I think its a great idea St. pauli.. maybe we could meet up and run together?

e-mail me if ya want: Sherpajohn@gmail.com

• off track Rookie 47 posts since
    Jan 28, 2007
    14. May 4, 2007 3:28 PM (in response to bobgreen012)

I'll be there, and running no more than three miles Saturday, thank you very much!

http://blogs.nashuatelegraph.com/off_track[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...