Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1207 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2007 10:04 AM by kateMD RSS 1 2 Previous Next
dl999 Rookie 61 posts since
Feb 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2007 3:37 PM

The Ultra list

since doing ultras, I have been told you 'have' to join the ultra list.
Well it seems I get a whole ton of crap, like a TON of spam email, and the stuff on the ultra list, well it likely is good if you can filter between all the other crap. Does anyone else think the same? that is why Id rather post and read stuff here. I find I do not even read it anymore and I am about to unsubscribe, but I am not even sure how to do that!
I think it is bad enough that you cannot even read half of it, then you get a ton of spam email?

• dirttrailrunner Rookie 10 posts since
    May 30, 2006
    1. Apr 30, 2007 4:00 PM (in response to dl999)
    Re: The Ultra list

i've been on the list for four years and i find it very informative. don't get any spam from it either.  you could always get digest form and just not read threads that don't interest you.

• kponds Rookie 100 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Apr 30, 2007 4:03 PM (in response to dl999)

Mailing lists are a lot easier to use if you have an email client that can sort them into a different folder and mailbox (so that they don't get mixed in with your regular email), and an email client that can thread the discussions (so that they appear as one discussion, like on a message board).

I think it's a great resource. You can also find a wealth of information by searching the archives.

However, if you want to know how to leave, just go here: http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=ultra[/URL" target="_blank"> , login, and click the "Join or leave ULTRA" link.  After that, it should be pretty self explanatory.

• phredmur Rookie 72 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Apr 30, 2007 4:22 PM (in response to dl999)

The ultralist is many things: a good resource for ultrarunning and race info, a big club of ultrarunners, a place to post juvenile and petty comments to 2,000+ readers.

I have never gotten spam as a result of being a subscriber, but I have deleted some worthless stuff. I have also gotten some very good info on things related to ultrarunning and ultra races. if you find the sheer volume overbearing, i would recommend that you open a hotmail or gmail account and subscribe to the list through that account. then you can segregate the list email and read it or delete it at your leisure.

p.s. the way to unsubscribe is posted on every daily birthday announcement at the bottom of the page.

• markc7079 Rookie 190 posts since
    Sep 7, 2002
    4. Apr 30, 2007 4:43 PM (in response to dl999)

I like getting the list in the daily digest version.  That way I don't get too many individual emails, and if I'm not in the mood to read anything ultra related, I can just trash the one message.  I find it informative from time to time, and enjoy reading race reports and other fun stuff. 

The endless debates that go around in circles are a bit annoying, but hey, that's the internet for you.

----

Mark

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• JamieoftheNorth Rookie 9 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Apr 30, 2007 4:52 PM (in response to dl999)

The list has some great discussions on there.  Never got any spam, but I hate clogging up my inbox and I've found the online archive system to be cumbersome.

*WARNING:  SHAMELSS PLUG TO FOLLOW*

That's why I started www.theultrapage.com.[/URL" target="_blank">  I wanted a forum that was easier to navigate and rather than wait for someone else to make one, I just decided to put up my own.  Check it out!

• cgerber Pro 195 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Apr 30, 2007 4:52 PM (in response to dl999)

I love the ultra list.  I've never gotten any spam from it at all...

As others have said, switch to digest mode, which makes it easier to, uh, digest all the emails !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

- Chris

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Apr 30, 2007 5:56 PM (in response to dl999)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ultra list... especially since I created a Gmail account to use it with. Gmail automaticly sorts e-mails related to each other into one mail folder. Instead of having to sort through 30 e-mails.. I read the title of one, see how many replies there are to it, and decide to read it or not. If I don;t read it.. I throw it away.

• exciton Rookie 317 posts since
    Nov 2, 2004
    9. May 1, 2007 2:15 PM (in response to dl999)

You don't have to join the List. I know a whole lot of very good ultrarunners who don't subscribe. As a matter of fact, the very top of the ultra world either don't subscribe or they just lurk. The List is alternately entertaining, informative, boring, and annoying. One of my main gripes is that the art of racing itself tends to be disparaged by many of the contributers (hence the lack of almost all the top running talent on the List). I do find this CR format refreshing.

• Katie029 Rookie 35 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    10. May 2, 2007 1:29 PM (in response to dl999)

I was in awe of the list when I started training for my first ultra.  But years later, I find most of the emails that come very annoying.  I enjoy the ones that review gear and post race reports.  I usually look to see who the email is from and delete the ones I've learned to avoid.  There are some people who, every time they post, it is totally useless.  They are only making some juvenile comment.

I think you can sign up for "no mail" and just use the web version to read what you want.  I've been meaning to do that.

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    11. May 2, 2007 2:00 PM (in response to dl999)

I was shocked by how mean some people on the ultra forum are. And since your post comes with an email, they can privately send you mean emails! it is really strange. I try to post very bland things now. If anything at all.

• phredmur Rookie 72 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. May 2, 2007 4:49 PM (in response to dl999)

Merigayle-

just be fearless and let it fly. they may be mean but they can't hurt you. stick and stones and all. besides, you've finished a 100. although some of the frequesnt posters on the list are very accomplished, some have not gone that far. many of the elites are on the list but rarely post.

there is a lot of good medical and nutritional advice. karl king will answer most questions.

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    13. May 2, 2007 5:18 PM (in response to dl999)

I do not mind most of the banter on there, it was the emails that were sent personally to me. Sheesh. The funniest part is that 99% of the people i have met at ultras have been super duper nice! lol.

• dfcameron Rookie 124 posts since
    Apr 5, 2007
    14. May 2, 2007 9:58 PM (in response to dl999)

OK... I'll chime in.   I like the Ultra list.   A lot of top runners lurk - and when I post a question, its not unusual to get a reply just to my e-mail from a Tim Twietmeyer or a Peter Bakwin or someone that has a ton of accomplishments in the Ultra world.   I've contributed my share of stuff.   I ran my first Ultra in, um, 1995.   I've only done about 20 - average about 2 per year - in that I have 2 kids and don't make it a lifestyle.   Yet, my experience seems valued - and I've had a lot of off-topic e-mails.

I've also made a lot of friends and good connections for when I'm in some other place in the country and want a running partner.

You just need to filter the spam and sort on topic.

I should mention that I've been on the Ultra list for 12+ years, and here for only a couple of months.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...