Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1748 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2007 7:51 PM by bcphillips029 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
bcphillips029 Rookie 31 posts since
Oct 31, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2007 11:04 PM

electrolyte replacement drinks

I do not tolerate electrolyte drinks well but feel I should learn to use them in preparation for my first 100 miler.  I usually stick to water and electolyte tabs (Lava Salts) on long runs.

I prefer Clif shots/bloks to other energy gels because they are organic (do not contain corn syrup) and seem to be easy on my digestive system, so I may try the Clif shot electrolyte replacement drinks a try. Has anyone tried these drinks? If so, what flavors do you prefer (Crisp Apple, Lemonade, Cran-Razz??).

I do know that they will be supplying Hammer Heed along the course, but I have heard mixed reviews on this product.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!
bcp

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    1. May 17, 2007 6:33 AM (in response to bcphillips029)
    Re: electrolyte replacement drinks

Try training with some HEED if you want to drink what is supplied at the race. I know some people who LOVE that stuff. I cannot stomach it and it made me very sick at the VT50, but everyone is different. I either have my own gatorade at drop bags or i carry gatorade mix with me. If the clif drink is a mix, it will be easy to carry with you during the race in ziplock baggies!

• dscotina Rookie 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 17, 2007 8:30 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

I've used Gu2O and gatorade. Gu2O is made with complex carbs, not simple sugars, so it is not sweet like gatorade. It doesn't have much taste. More like favored water than a sports drink.  You stomach may tolerate it better than the sweet stuff.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
  • kateMD Rookie 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. May 17, 2007 10:41 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

Ditto in the Clip and Succeed products.  Great stuff, backed by solid research.

My gripe with the HEED product is that it contains lots of additives I'm not comfortable with ingesting all day long. What is chromium polynicotinate or l-carnosine? I don't see the scientific evidence that proves to me the safety of taking these things in the quantities necessary to complete 50K-100 miles.

Full ingredient list: Maltodextrin, Xylitol, Natural Mandarin Flavor, White Stevia, Sodium Chloride, L-Carnosine, Clycine, Calcium Chelate, Magnesium Chelate, Potassium Chelate, L-Tyrosine, Vitamin B6, Manganese Chelate, ChromeMate® brand Chromium Polynicotinate *Mandarin Flavor

Kate

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Aug 15, 2007
    6. May 18, 2007 9:15 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by Roll:

These changed everything for me. http://www.nuun.com/[/URL" target="_blank">

Just drop one of these tablets in your water bottle, and you are good to go.

But they do not have any calories in them, do they? I get at least half of my calories in ultras from gatorade.

I have tried almost every drink product out there and gatorade is the only one that i have not really had tummy issues with. It all boils down to an experiment of one. What works for me may not work for  you and vice versa.

Jun 7, 2002
    7. May 18, 2007 10:04 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by Roll:

These changed everything for me. http://www.nuun.com/[/URL" target="_blank">

It also makes it easier to regulate your carbohydrate intake without over doing it. Good Luck

I may have to look into this one. I do like this fact about the product.

nutritional information
    the following is the nutritional information for a serving of nuun based on one tablet dissolved in 500ml (~16oz) of water. there are 6 calories per nuun tab.

active ingredients level (mg)
    Sodium (carbonates) 360.0
    Potassium (bicarbonate) 100.0
    Calcium (carbonate) 12.5
    Magnesium (sulfate) 25.0
    Vitamin C 37.5
    Vitamin B2 500mcg

I am doing a nearly "unsupported" 50M in July at altitude so these may come in handy in my hydration pack along the route.

Thanks for posting! CR My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. May 18, 2007 10:38 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

When I started running I used Accelerade. It was good stuff except it gave me the "runs" afterwards and had a nasty aftertaste.

Then I switched to Gu2o Which was good except I thought it tasted pretty syrupy.. maybe I never mixed it right or something.

Gatorade ENDURANCE is an amazing product. I've run MANY races on this stuff but nothing longer than 50 Miles.

At last years Vermont 100 they have Suceed! Ultra. I fell in love with the stuff and always felt on top of my game.

At the VT50 they had HEED.. I got sick and had horrible stomach problems and painful gas. I try to avoid this stuff as much as possible.

But in my first 100 I drank Succeed! Clip 2. The stuff is by far the best drink I've had yet. I used it in training before my 100 and have drank it ever since. It has enough protein to inhibit muscle repair on the run and is very helpful post race and in recovery. I'm telling you Brenda... as we discussed this past weekend.. this IS the stuff to use! ; )

SJ

• TLofton Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 18, 2007 12:11 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

Agree with nuun user.  I have really come to like using this.  It is convenient to carry as the tube the tabs come in is pretty impervious to jarring and water intrusion.  They store very well in drop bags.  This eliminates my calorie intake from my fluids which, for me, has posed problems when trying to couple calorie intake from ingesting solids.  Thus I find calorie managment a little easier.
    It's slight effervescence is, personally, kind of refreshing. Flavors are very slight and, so far, electrolyte coverage has been adequate. We'll see how it goes as warmer weather approaches (Pac NW). I've gone to using this with Shot Bloks and GU mostly.
    Be careful for the first few minutes after you drop a tab in and keep the spout open as the effervescence does generate a gas that needs to be vented from the bottle. This was discovered on a training run on a precip-less day and I felt a fine mist covering my arm. My handheld was venting through the closed spout as the tablet I had just put in was still dissolving. It only takes a couple of minutes to dissolve and then it's ready to go.

tim
    marysville, wa

Jun 7, 2002
    10. May 18, 2007 2:02 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by tloft:

Be careful for the first few minutes after you drop a tab in and keep the spout open as the effervescence does generate a gas that needs to be vented from the bottle. This was discovered on a training run on a precip-less day and I felt a fine mist covering my arm. My handheld was venting through the closed spout as the tablet I had just put in was still dissolving. It only takes a couple of minutes to dissolve and then it's ready to go. tim, marysville, wa

Thanks for the 2nd vote of confidence on this product.  Just purchased the lemon-lime flavor online a little while ago.  Speaking of the Pac NW.  Ran White River 50M in 2005.  A very well put on race.  And the views were amazing for a guy coming in from the flats of northern Indiana.  Hope to get back out there one of these days.  Take care.  Craig

• dl999 Rookie 61 posts since
    Feb 18, 2007
    11. May 18, 2007 2:54 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

another nuun fan here
    but it comes down to what you like and works for you

• rockhopper Rookie 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. May 18, 2007 8:18 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

I agree with merigayle that it's nice to get calories in while drinking.  If you can find a drink that agrees with your stomach, then you're sneaking in a lot of calories with less potential for the stomach upset you can get with more solid food.  After trying a few others, I've settled on Succeed Amino, which I never seem to get sick of during a ultra.  I can't stand anything sweet after about 4 hours, so maltodextrin-based carbs work best for me.   For additional electrolytes I just pop Succeed tabs or eat salty foods.  Not sure I'd want 100% of my electrolytes coming from water mixed with Nuun, since then I might have to avoid salty foods like soup, which really goes down well in a long ultra.

(By the way, no financial interest in Succeed products, they just seem to be well thought out by an actual ultrarunner, Karl King)

• Roll041 Rookie 39 posts since
    May 17, 2006
    13. May 18, 2007 10:46 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by merigayle:

But they do not have any calories in them, do they? I get at least half of my calories in ultras from gatorade.

I have tried almost every drink product out there and gatorade is the only one that i have not really had tummy issues with. It all boils down to an experiment of one. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

Thats exactly why I use them, no calories in them.  I just use gels for my calories.  I have to drink so much water because I sweat so much (I can loose up to 7lbs in an hour if I am not careful), that other sports drinks make me sick.  I get too many carbs with them.  Nuun allows me to stay hydrated with electrolyte replacement, and not get sick.  It's just what works for me though.  I still carry my electrolyte tabs though, just in case.

Aug 15, 2007
    14. May 19, 2007 5:51 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

If i eat more than 3 gels i puke. I eat clif blocks during ultras, but even then, only about one serving per hour which is 100 calories. I am amazed if you can get enough calories from gel packs. My nutrition is gatorade, ensure and clif blocks. 250-300 cals/hour.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...