Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1812 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2007 10:37 PM by tox-prof 1 2 3 Previous Next
milesmiles065 Rookie 7 posts since
Nov 8, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2007 1:29 AM

I wish Dean would just go away already

I rarely post on here but, after hearing of DK's recent treadmill performance and his ESPY nomination (could the ESPYs be any more stupid?), I have to. First of all, if we're going to give an ESPY to the best outdoor athlete, it should go to Scott Jurek. I also think Sam Thompson (featured in the latest Marathon & Beyond) should get some props. Now, about why I despise Dean. I run ultras and the more I learn about the sport and the people who made/make it great the more I despise what Dean represents. He does not represent the spirit of ultrarunning and therefore constitutes a major threat to our sport given the appalling nature of his celebrity. If he did represent the spirit of ultrarunning, he wouldn't have bagged the WS100 for a self-promotion gimmick (his treadmill stunt). Unlike people like Marshall Ulrich, Yiannis Kourous, and many others, Dean is a self-promoter who acts like he's the mana record-breakerwhen in fact he's not. He takes credit for being the "first" to run 300 miles nonstop, but yet if you've read The Death Valley 300 by the great Rich Benyo, you know 300 miles has been done before. Hell, Kourous could run 300 asleep and backwards. OK, fine, so Rich and Tom stopped during their 300, but at least they did it. You won't hear Dean give them any props. He didn't give Sam Thompson any props (or respect). Why? Because he gives props to only one person--himself.

All that said, Dean's a great ultrarunner. His endurance is awesome and he's won some races. I just hate how he promotes himself and is prostituting a sport that many of us love and dedicate countless hours to whether as a runner or volunteer. Dean is introducing an element to our sport that is not welcomed. If you're wondering what this element is, it'll be displayed quite prominently at the ESPY awards and can also be found at many marathons across the nation (don't get me wrong, I love marthoning for marathoning's sake). I wish Dean would just go away.

[http://This message has been edited by milesmiles (edited Jun-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by milesmiles (edited Jun-27-2007).]

[http://This message has been edited by milesmiles (edited Jun-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by milesmiles (edited Jun-27-2007).]

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    1. Jun 27, 2007 12:15 PM (in response to milesmiles065)
    Re: I wish Dean would just go away already

The only way you can make a difference in the DK media frenzy is to stop talking about it and stop posting on message boards. 

I happen to think his methods are fine. Although it's not his primary goal, he inspires many people to get off their *** and exercise. For that I am thrilled with his celebrity.

IMHO life is too short to sit around being pissed off about how one person in this world chooses to market himself and make a living.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Pain is temporary. Regret hurts forever."
    [URL=http://www.analytical-training.blogspot.com]

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 27, 2007 1:29 AM (in response to milesmiles065)

quote:

Originally posted by aharmer:

IMHO life is too short to sit around being pissed off about how one person in this world chooses to market himself and make a living.

That's exactly my thought on the whole DK matter as well - I couldn't care less how he chooses to hype and/or market himself.

[http://This message has been edited by mmoonhead (edited Jun-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by mmoonhead (edited Jun-27-2007).]

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 27, 2007 12:49 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

quote:

Originally posted by milesmiles:

Life is never too short when it comes to defending the sport I love. If people held that view, nothing would get defended. Dean is threatening ultrarunning and so I and many others will fight tooth and nail to expose him for what he is--a glory-hound who would be better suited for the circus.

Seriously, I doubt there will be hordes of people who will look at DK and say - ooh, I want to go out and run an insane amount of miles through incredibly tough conditions and settings for long periods of time; look at how all the hype and fame I could be getting as a result!

I'd guesstimate 95% of the population think that people who run anything longer than a few miles (and actually enjoy the experience to boot) are a little nuts anyway.

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    5. Jun 27, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

Then why did you start this thread?

May 25, 2005
    6. Jun 27, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

miles,

To steal your lame comeback...whatever. Many people read his books and see his running stunts and end up starting to exercise because of it. These people shouldn't start their running career with an ultra? Oh, thanks for the training tip. Surprisingly that one hasn't come up yet...Dean is bad because he forces new runners to run ultras when they should be starting with a 5K.

I'm also slightly concerned about my DNA. I wasn't aware that the need to run ultras was in there, I better schedule an appt to figure out what else might be lurking.

I was also unaware that Dean was threatening ultrarunning.  Is there a single chance in a million that your favorite races could cease to exist because Dean makes some money marketing himself?  Think you might be taking this a bit too seriously?

• localnovelty Rookie 74 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jun 27, 2007 3:27 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

Holy crap; wasn't the other DK thread enough for you folks? Go there and join the fray between  runnerTim and DNAdoc. Maybe you can play shirts-and-skins?

• localnovelty Rookie 74 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jun 27, 2007 3:29 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

Oh and don't look now: but there is an Accelerade banner at the top of the page...

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
    10. Jun 27, 2007 3:32 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

I don't know DK personally.  I've spoke briefly with him once during the Leadville Trail 100M on the backside of Hope Pass.  I wasn't doing well and he wished me well.

What you, I and everyone else reads about DK is all part of the marketing machine that is pushing the sport in different directions. It is probably correct to say that he isn't the greatest ultrarunner out there, but I'd certainly put him up against some of the best. I mean it's not like he hasn't won races (Badwater, Vermont 100).

To say he dissed Western States to run something else is a choice. I made that choice this year as well not to run WS, but then again I'm not Dean.

I think the big thing is that there really isn't a "figure" out there doing what DK is willing to do as far as pushing the limits of the sport, marketing wise so he is taking the lead via his sponsors.

• harryw Rookie 24 posts since
    May 29, 2007
    11. Jun 27, 2007 4:16 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

quote:

Dean's influence wouldn't cause races to fold; on the contrary, Dean's influence is causing registrations to go up by bringing glory-hounds to ultras who don't understand what the sport's about. You see them at almost every race--guys wearing his shoes and acting like they're him.

You're talking about 'posers' spoiling a sport. While that is certainly a concern with sports like surfing, windsurfing and mountain biking, where people can just buy the gear and then hog parking spaces, trails and waves, violating every established etiquette and generally spoiling it for everybody - I can't see that happening with ultrarunning for the simple reason that it's just too physically demanding.

Nobody will 'pose' their way through a race. If registration goes up, but the percentage of finishers doesn't go down then the spike in interest is legit and it's egotistical of you to bemoan that Dean is killing the sport. Just sign up earlier.

May 25, 2005
    12. Jun 27, 2007 5:14 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

quote:

I'm not afraid my "favorite races could cease to exist" because of Dean. Dean's influence wouldn't cause races to fold; on the contrary, Dean's influence is causing registrations to go up by bringing glory-hounds to ultras who don't understand what the sport's about. You see them at almost every race--guys wearing his shoes and acting like they're him. What makes ultrarunning so unique is that people do it without the need for glory or accolades. Dean (and Pam Reed for that matter) obviously is in love with himself and glory, making him the anti-ultrarunner. Every serious ultrarunner I know despises him. The fact that he dissed the WS100 for the treadmill stunt is exhibit A for why people despise him.

I won't even comment on the sarcastic nature of your post, other than to say it wasn't necessary.

Sorry about the sarcastic post, you're right that is wasn't necessary.

How many "glory-hounds" are out there trying to run 50+ miles?  I don't understand your frustration.  Glory hounds that don't know what the sport is all about?  Wearing his shoes and acting like they're him?  How many people would wear a shoe that wasn't comfortable just because they liked a guy with his name on it?  We're talking about ultrarunning here!  Anybody wearing that shoe has trained a lot of miles in it and likes it a helluva lot or they wouldn't be wearing it in an ultra.  How do they act like Dean??  Do they routinely go out and beat a majority of the field?  Do they wear a dark curly wig and smile a lot?  Not being sarcastic, I just don't get it.  I always thought ultras were about mental and physical toughness.  You go out there and get it done in the best way you know how physically and mentally.  If somebody enjoys spending some money on trendy clothes, shoes, bags, etc for an ultra isn't that their right?  Just because somebody doesn't look at an ultra exactly like you doesn't make it wrong.

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    13. Jun 27, 2007 5:45 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

aren't you guys/gals dk'ed out yet?

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jun 27, 2007 7:16 PM (in response to milesmiles065)

quote:

You see them at almost every race--guys wearing his shoes

Holy cow - people are breaking into his house and stealing his shoes? Good heavens people - don't take it that far!

And

crunningman

I heard they briefly considered cancelling WS upon learning of your decision to pull out, so maybe you ARE as huge a figure as DK!  

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...