Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1151 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2007 1:09 PM by salad1
StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
Nov 27, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 27, 2007 1:43 PM

100 miler pace charts

I am looking for a pace chart for 100 miles, and I am so bad at math when Im not running anyway, I guess I could come up with one myself...but challenged as I said. I think itd be handy to have one with 24 pace, 26-27 hour and to finish (30).
anyone have a good one? Im thinking for VT
thanks

• HSunshine Rookie 186 posts since
    Sep 15, 2003
    1. Dec 27, 2007 1:29 AM (in response to StPauligirl)
    Re: 100 miler pace charts

I have one in Excel that I can email you (hss4w AT virginia dot edu), if you'd like.  It's by pace, not finish time, so I have a column for 11 min/mile through 16 min/mile.  For the 16 min/mile, it looks like this:

Dist hours clock time
    5.1 1.36 7:21 AM
    7.4 1.97 7:58 AM
    12.3 3.28 9:16 AM
    92.8 24.75 6:44 AM
    95.1 25.36 7:21 AM
    100.2 26.72 8:43 AM

ETA: Coolrunning evidently doesn't allow tabs or multiple spaces in a row, so it looks all smooshed together. But you get the idea.

The distances were for the aid stations at one race, but if you changed the first column #'s, the hours elapsed and clock time would change as well. It assumes a 6 am start, as well, but that can be changed too. I love excel, clearly.

Of course, you don't run the same pace throughout the race, but what you do is look at what time it is when you get to an aid station, and you can tell your approximate average pace, and what time you'd finish at if you kept up that pace.

I printed this whole chart out for my crew (boyfriend) during my 100, but by about mile 40 I told him he didn't have to tell me how I was doing any more, I didn't wanna know !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

[http://This message has been edited by HSunshine (edited Jun-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by HSunshine (edited Jun-27-2007).]

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 27, 2007 8:03 PM (in response to StPauligirl)

I use the resources tab up above and make my own by plugging in the race distance and my target finish time... more complicated than this.. but I've got my target times at specific mileage points for the VT 100...

• erietom Rookie 40 posts since
    Oct 25, 2006
    5. Jun 27, 2007 11:03 PM (in response to StPauligirl)

I created one in excel I can send you - used it for the Mohican 100, my first 100.  The pace varies by section of the course (elevation gain), heat of the day (if expected to be hot), time of the day or night, fatigue factor later in the race, stream crossings, etc.  So if you can find out this info about your race it would be helpful.  I was 1 MINUTE ahead of schedule after 24 hours and 83 miles of being on the move at Mohican, so it worked out pretty well.  I made better time at night then I predicted though, so I finished a bit ahead of schedule.

• Brian Ricketts Rookie 13 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 28, 2007 10:25 AM (in response to StPauligirl)

I'd love the get copies of these excel programs.  Don't have plans to run a 100 that soon, but it is a (distant) goal.

Thanks.

--Brian

bricketts@attcenter.com

• salad1 Rookie 49 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    7. Jun 28, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to StPauligirl)

yeah i did kind of the same thing recently at the pct 50.  i used the resource tab here at coolrunning to what my time should be in 5 mile increments for a sub 12 and sub 11 hour finish.  i also had columns for what my time should be at each aid station for sub 11 and 12 hour finishes.

i printed it out small enough to fit in one of those jewelry sized zip locks. worked pretty good until my the batteries died on my garmin at the 10 hour mark.

ill see if i can create a spreadsheet to do the same thing if anyone is interested.

in other news... sooo stoked to be heading to alaska tomorrow!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...