Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2738 Views 53 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2007 9:34 AM by rundangerously 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
bcphillips029 Rookie 31 posts since
Oct 31, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2007 9:01 AM

VT 100 - two weeks and counting

Just wondering how everyone is feeling now that we are officially in taper mode.  I hear that the trails were nice and dry this week; hopefully, the little bit of rain we are getting right now won't muck them up.  It has been so nice and cool in VT- if only the conditions would be as nice on race day.  

• Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    1. Jul 5, 2007 10:23 AM (in response to bcphillips029)
    Re: VT 100 - two weeks and counting

Well as for me, unfortunately I am feeling rather underprepared.  This is my second Vermont.  Last year as of this time, I had the Bull Run 50M, Pineland 50K, GAC 6-hour and Mt. Aggie 6-hour under my belt.  I didn't finish at Vermont, and instead dropped out at mile 76.

This year I had a botched attempt at the Wapack 50M, only did 6 miles at the GAC 6-hour (the day after Wapack), was traveling the weekend of the Pineland 50K so missed that, plus I missed the Mt. Aggie 6 hour due to traveling. The only long race I have done this year is the Nipmuck trail marathon. I was very pleased with my performance there, but know full well that it was inadequate training for Vermont. I have also not really kept up with my weekend long runs too well. In the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of hiking which has been good.

So basically I am feeling undertrained and not too confident.  My only consolation is that 99% of the reasons why I dropped last year were mental and had nothing to do with how I was doing physically.  I am hoping that whatever residual endurance I have, combined with better mental commitment, will get me to the finish this year.  Plus I expect to have a better pacer this year, so that is a good motivation as well.

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 5, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

just five days into my taper and i'm already getting antsy w/out a race to look forward to this weekend.  this will be my first vermont, first attempt at 100m, and really looking forward to it.  have done pretty much all the base building and endurance work i had hoped to get done.
    i'll probably use this time to work on running at night. but otherwise, will just rest up and try to stay healthy!
    sarah, in the catagory of small world, i have a t&e practice in nyc

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 5, 2007 6:52 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

well... I consider my running of the McNaughton 100, including the buildup to that race, to be some of the best training I have done. I started tumbling towards burnout in Late April Early May... so took some time off in late May before running and PRing at Pineland Farms 50K (5:35). June I didn;t have as many miles as I had hoped for the month.. but averaged over 14 miles per run havign run 170 miles in 12 runs or so... some of those runs included the Pittsfield Peaks Ultra-Challenge in VT (58 Miles LONG AND TOUGH), and the Pemi-Loop 50K another difficult run.  So... now I'm in taper mode.. sorta. I'm tacking on ONE more week here with 55 Miles to the week... and been doing a lot of hiking.

So.. I don't know if I'm ready. I'm sure I am... but I don't feel it. I'm excited though! LETS DO IT!

• grommit070 Rookie 882 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jul 5, 2007 7:04 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

..... sherpie, you looked pretty good @ Pittsfield! As for me, I would've liked a couple more months training but ....it's always like that. Actually ran a couple of fast runs last week on rolling hills at a near threshold pace, as against the usual stoopid steep stuff that I've been doing since last September..... felt OK! The brain has sort of settled down over the past few days.... quiet resignation, I guess...
    So I'm poppin' my 100 cherry.... bring it on!
    grommit

• elaineVT Rookie 14 posts since
    Jan 6, 2004
    5. Jul 5, 2007 10:03 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by grommit:

..... sherpie, you looked pretty good @ Pittsfield! As for me, I would've liked a couple more months training but ....it's always like that. Actually ran a couple of fast runs last week on rolling hills at a near threshold pace, as against the usual stoopid steep stuff that I've been doing since last September..... felt OK! The brain has sort of settled down over the past few days.... quiet resignation, I guess...
    So I'm poppin' my 100 cherry.... bring it on!
    grommit

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Yeehaaa for you Grommit!

need a pacer for the last leg (s)?

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

e

• jholtthief Rookie 111 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jul 5, 2007 10:33 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

I'm feeling pretty strong and well trained physically. Now, over the next couple weeks I'll work on getting my head together and ready to slug it out on race day. Gotta find that half hour I lost last year! Hey Weather Gods, I'll take 70's and overcast...

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 5, 2007 11:11 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

John... my buddy will be out there screaming all night again "GET THE LEAD OUT!"

Keep and ear out for him... if you need anything... ask my crew they'll help ya if they can!

• grommit070 Rookie 882 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 6, 2007 9:39 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by elaineVT:

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Yeehaaa for you Grommit!

need a pacer for the last leg (s)?

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

e

.... well, I'll actually have + the very intrepid roly+ by my side.... however if he gets injured Re: VT 100 - two weeks and counting between now and race day I'd be happy to share!
    I notice on the jay thread that you've signed up for a day of pain.... I'm passing this year..... but I will more than likely be at the VT50, with roly....see you there??

cheers

g

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    9. Jul 6, 2007 10:14 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

Sarah: I bet you are way better prepared than you think. Don't compare what you did last year. You have the mental edge of having done a lot of the course and so you know what to expect ( and I am not talking about the terrain really, I mean, mentally)
    I am feeling pretty good, had PRs all year, how long can this last?
    Taper time woohoo! Am I using this to clean? to do all the things I let slide? Hell no.On my death bed will I say: gee I wish I didnt waste all my time running and I should have done more housework?
    Here is a GREAT taper time read: I just finished: Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why.
    I highly recommend it as great taper time reading. It has many great stories but it is more behind the mental aspect of what goes through the brain when faced with impossible odds. Have you ever read about some one who died doing something that seems stupid and think...wtf was he thinking? this book explains it. And gives some tips that I will try to remember during the race.
    CR meeting at the dinner?

• Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    10. Jul 6, 2007 12:53 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

Thanks, SPG.  I plan to be at Silver Hill Meadow fairly early in the afternoon, around 1-2 PM.  I will be camping.  I would love to meet any other CRs at the dinner.  Also look for the GAC bannera bunch of us will be hanging out and anyone is welcome to come over and say hello.<br /><br />I have definitely learned from my experience last year and know better what not to do

Don't change shoes after mile 68--I had not had blisters all day. However, I changed shoes and immediately got blisters.  That was what started my whole downward spiral.<br /><br />Be clear on aid station cut off times.  I am a back of the packer and knew I would cut some of the times pretty close near the end.  However I got mixed up about the cutoff time at Bill's and thought I had a lot less time than I actually had.  That discouraged me and I wound up quitting because I didn't think I could make it.  Then I found out later I had an hour longer than I thought.

Also I have a different pacer this year which I think will make a difference. I had a randomly assigned pacer last year and she and I just did not hit it off. That was part of my mental irritation that led me to quit. This year, my pacer is another ultrarunner and 2006 Vermont finisher who I have known for about a year and who I think will be a much better fit for me. Also for some strange reason I would rather have a male pacer so I am glad about that too.

One last tip--this was awesome for me last year. Put a fresh shirt, preferably a synthetic, dry-wicking type shirt, in your drop bag for your first go-through at 10 Bears. Last year, they had a big tank of water set up for people to dunk in and cool off. I dunked my shirt in the water, wrung it out a little, and changed into it, and it was amazingly refreshing, plus it cooled me down for at least an hour afterward. It was one of the best things I did during the whole entire race. Hopefully they will have that tank set up, or you can soak it some other way.

Oh, and take a toothbrush and toothpaste for your second go-around at 10 Bears and brush your teeth before you head out for the night, that helps as well.

• markc7079 Rookie 190 posts since
    Sep 7, 2002
    12. Jul 6, 2007 6:24 PM (in response to bcphillips029)

Good luck to all of you!  Although the course chewed me up and spit me out two years ago, the hills and the heat of Vermont will always be special to me.  I can't wait to return someday and finish that course.  Have a great time.  keep cool.

----

Mark

Vegan 100 Miler[/URL" target="_blank">

• pithydoug Rookie 32 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jul 7, 2007 7:34 AM (in response to bcphillips029)

quote:

Originally posted by bcphillips:

Just wondering how everyone is feeling now that we are officially in taper mode. I hear that the trails were nice and dry this week; hopefully, the little bit of rain we are getting right now won't muck them up. It has been so nice and cool in VT- if only the conditions would be as nice on race day. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

While mud is an occasional problem, It's usuall the heat. I can't remember a cool day at Vermont and that's after 6 finishes. Then again if these cool temps hold on you may get lucky. I have to miss this year for other commitments but I'll be there next year.

Plan for heat AND humidity. A little rain never hurts and keeps the dust down on those dirt roads.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...