Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2369 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2007 12:29 PM by 2slow4u RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • pithydoug Rookie 32 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 7, 2007 7:25 AM (in response to snailrunner080)
    Re: ultrarunning and alcohol

>Originally posted by runnertim17011:
    >snail, I have never seen any runner slam down 3,4,5 beers
    > after an ultra. I think most would be vomiting if they did
    > that.

I hate to tell you but the first thing I grab for after as I cross the finish line is Heineken and over time I may consume 3+ and I have yet to blow chunks. It's not uncommon to sit around after a race with a brew in hand talking about what went wrong or right.

OTOH when I'm caught off guard with a race that has a sudden surge in heat and I'm not acclimated, It may take an hour before I have a toddy.

> KateMD says that problem drinkers tend to hang out with >each other to look and feel normal.

This may be a strech in the running community. I hang out with a boat load of  runners and some drink and some don't. Each person picks their fluid de jour.

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    16. Jul 7, 2007 7:40 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

cheers! First round is on me folks!

I'm bringing some beer for my wino-drunken-beer bottle buddies at the JFK aks my "ultra buddies". Maybe I better hide the beer other wise  the trail will be littered before the start of the race with beer bottles. I don't mind hopping over roots but beerbottles move when you step on them. lol!

• rolyone Rookie 1,084 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Dec 27, 2007 1:31 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

quote:

Originally posted by runnertim17011:

cheers! First round is on me folks!

I'm bringing some beer for my wino-drunken-beer bottle buddies at the JFK aks my "ultra buddies". Maybe I better hide the beer other wise the trail will be littered before the start of the race with beer bottles. I don't mind hopping over roots but beerbottles move when you step on them. lol!

If you like a beer after the race(or during) BEWARE mile 31 at the Pittsfield Ultra Challenge. They don't play fair. After 31 tough miles and almost ready to quite, mile 31 aid station tempts runners with cold beer and a BBQ. When I got there the two Sloveinian aid station workers already looked drunk and three runners looked like they had given up sitting in lawn chairs drinking beer and chowing down on chicken. I must of looked foolish standing there dazed for 30 seconds battling the temptation before grabbing a water bottle thinking to myself that I came here to run. I'll save the beer for later..

[http://This message has been edited by rolyone (edited Jul-07-2007).|http://This message has been edited by rolyone (edited Jul-07-2007).]

• grommit070 Rookie 882 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jul 7, 2007 9:14 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

.....talking of

that race..

I confess, I did actually split a Samual Adams with one of Slavic aids, but passed on the BBQ.... Tasted pretty good too. However, a mistake that I wont repeat was drinking a couple of brews immediately after the finish (17hrs3mins).... on a totally empty stomach with no solids to go with it, not a good sensation at all...... thought I was gonna drop dead! .....scared the crap out of the folks around me!
    g

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    20. Jul 7, 2007 9:15 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

I think RunnerTim was making a joke. Chill. 

• dg1033 Rookie 138 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Jul 7, 2007 12:19 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

quote:

Originally posted by merigayle:

I think RunnerTim was making a joke. Chill. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

To each his own, which Tim said earlier. Maybe I should bring the beer for JFK so's people don't get the wrong idea about Tim.

Honey, get me a beer...

• Kevin E. Stroud Rookie 511 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    23. Jul 7, 2007 1:07 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Snailie,

Maybe there was some animosity there - just let it slide - it's the only the Internet, remember?! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Back on your point - I have noticed many ultrarunners enjoy a cold beer after a run (race or workout). I don't know how the percentage of "ultrarunners who have a few beers" compares to the population in general though as I don't really hang out with drinkers myself, so that's why I noticed.

I think it's a societal view in general that "drinking is cool/tough" - and some people get into that persona/projection.

Doesn't make sense to me (I have about one beer a year) - but if someone else wants to have a couple beers, that's fine with me.

kestrou

Nov 26, 2007
    24. Jul 7, 2007 2:49 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Excuseeeeeeeeee me uh um........Mrs/Miss Princess Snail. Do I bow first. but you did say "have some ultrarunner buddies who seem to drink too much".

You also asked why you had to give explanations.......Why did you open this forum up to the topic to begin with? Geeezzzzzz

I was expressing my opinion of your behavior. You remind me of someone in denial. Don't take it personal. But you already did.

When you use the term buddies one thinks of people you hand out with pre/post race and maybe even train with. Now you are claiming different.

You never met ultrarunners before? Be careful we foam at the mouth and might bite you if we disagree with you. Also, we like to jump in swamps, streams, horse poo. We vomit alot, even crap our pants when we loose our equilibrium during a race. You might even hear us making "ohh ohh" sounds and eating bananas at aid stations. We are a crazy psychotic bunch.

And the number one point I am trying to make to you. RELAX! Take it easy!

Like I said you can ONLY change yourself.

No, I am not angry with you. I could tell you were a she from your post, but I called you Mr. A bit of satirical humor on my part.

Don't discriminate against us alcoholic beverage drinkers. We are going to form a union and political action group soon. Maybe even start a couple of fund raisers with Budweiser or Jack Daniels as our sponsers! Jack Daniels 50k! Bud Lite XC Ultra!

Come join the other side! Become one of use! May the force be with you!

Lastly, Mrs. Snail we are the nicest bunch you ever want to meet. Hopefully we will get to meet you sometime.

• beard o bees Rookie 36 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jul 7, 2007 3:54 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

No denial here. I love beer. Belgians. Imperials. Barley wines. Doubles. Old ales. The strong stuff. I find it enjoyable having some nice beers after a long training run or a race. Perhaps my greatest disappointment in going to Utah for Wasatch is that the beer is so frickin' weak.

Brennen

• gomezthedog Rookie 52 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    26. Jul 7, 2007 5:04 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

quote:

Originally posted by runnertim17011:

........ Maybe even start a couple of fund raisers with Budweiser or Jack Daniels as our sponsers! Jack Daniels 50k! Bud Lite XC Ultra!

...... Vermont 50 proudly sponsored by the "Harpoon Brewery" & "Skunk Hollow Tavern"

Nov 26, 2007
    28. Jul 7, 2007 8:26 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Snail, don't get too caught up in just alcohol consumption. Or should I say fascinated.

happy trails

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    29. Jul 7, 2007 8:39 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Snail- i am one of three ultrarunners in a very large running group, it seems as if everyone but me is a lush. I go to parties and i am the only non-drunk one there. They drink beer after some of our evening runs as well. Not my thing. I do not think it is just ultrarunners, but just people in general and some people really like their beer. I was surprised at the amount of drinking that my running group does as i am a very clean eater and eat a mostly vegan diet and have not had alcohol in YEARS! lol.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...