Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

970 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2007 9:45 PM by kirby111 RSS
EMEDPA Rookie 10 posts since
Jun 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2007 4:16 AM

FIRST 50K

I am running my 1st 50k in november(autumn leaves in oregon) and have been training for it like a marathon but with an extra day/week of training thrown in as an intermediate distance run. a few questions-
1. how much harder does a 50k feel vs a marathon?
2. do you pace yourself the same as a marathon or a bit slower?
3. is finishing a 50 k a good indicator that you are ready for a 50 miler?
4. and finally if my training is going really well for the 50k should I just suck it up and do the 50 miler option instead on the same day without ever having done a 50k?
thanks-e

• kefa Rookie 15 posts since
    Apr 15, 2006
    1. Jul 24, 2007 7:18 AM (in response to EMEDPA)
    Re: FIRST 50K

I think the answer to many of your questions begins with your background as a runner and what are your goals.  I have found that I feel better after a 50k or even a 50m on trails than after a road marathon.  Are you following a run/walk strategy?  What is you longest run so far (time and distance?).  Are you practicing hydration/nutrition?(changes btw 50k & 50m).  If having never done an ultra just doing the 50k may be the way to go.  Use that as a potential springboard/long run for a 50m.  I like to use trail marathons as long runs for 50m's

----

"let us run with patience the race that is set before us"

• nickjc Rookie 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 24, 2007 1:14 PM (in response to EMEDPA)

1. I don't know I went from half marathons to 50k.  But for a road half I run about 1:30 compared to 5:30 for a hilly 50k( Mcdonald Forest, OR).
    2. Pace won't mean much if your 50k is on trails or hilly. From long road runs I know my marathon pace is about 7:16, my pace at Mcdonald was 10:20.
    3. I hope so as I'm doing my first 50 miler on Saturday (White River, WA).
    4. There are some guys doing the White river as their first ultra.  I would do the 50k just to make sure everything works out like you hoped, then pick a 50 miler for next season.  Capitol peak in Olympia in April has a 50 miler and 55k on the same course.  there were several runners this year signed up for the 50miler but took the 55k option at the 25 mile mark.  That might be one to put on your schedule for next year.

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    4. Jul 24, 2007 2:20 PM (in response to EMEDPA)

EMEDPA, just do one to get it over with. You could run one sooner than November. JMHO.

• Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    5. Jul 24, 2007 2:47 PM (in response to EMEDPA)

If your race isn't until November, you still have tons of time to train for the 50 mile if that is what you want to do.  Make sure you get your long runs up to at least the 6 hour range, and practice your power hiking if the course is going to be hilly.  You could also see about finding another 50K sooner than November and using that as one of your long training runs.

Where you are right now sounds like where I was when I started running ultras, except I hadn't even run any marathons.  Since I started running in '04, I've completed 2 50ks, 3 50 miles, and a 100.  You can totally do it!  Just go for it, you won't regret it.

• Addygrl Rookie 134 posts since
    Nov 7, 2004
    6. Jul 24, 2007 3:59 PM (in response to EMEDPA)

Having just run my first 50k, I saw get out there and do it  That said, my road marathon experience was a whole different world from my 50k (the 50k actually took more than twice as long as my road marathon pr if you can believe that!) Still, the 50k didn't really seem longer or harder when I was out there (time certainly flies). Just make sure that if it's hilly, you train for it.

Have fun!

Addy

• sarah430 Rookie 11 posts since
    Sep 2, 2007
    8. Jul 26, 2007 12:38 PM (in response to EMEDPA)

If you can bump up your weekly mileage and get in some longer runs (5 or 6hrs) I think you could be ready for the 50m.  Autumn Leaves is a fast course, mostly paved, so I wouldn't worry so much about training on trails. Mainly get in the time on your feet.  And since its a loop course you could probably drop down to the 50k if you felt you weren't ready for the 50m.  Best of luck to you!

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    10. Aug 21, 2007 9:45 PM (in response to EMEDPA)

quote:

Originally posted by EMEDPA:

spoke with the race director today by email. he said it was ok for me to upgrade or downgrade up to and including the day of the race so my current plan now is to do the 50 miler. have been running 6 days/week and getting mileage up quite a bit so I figure it's worth a try. my current plan is to run the 1st 20 1 min slower than marathon pace then walk 5 min/run 25 min for the last 30 miles. I just want to finish this thing so as long as I finish in 10:30( course closure time) I'll be happy with that.
    and yes, I WILL take the early start.
    -e

I would not recommend a set plan of walking adn running like you have. Walk on steep hills and whenever you feel like you need a break. Every once and a while it is okay to just take a short break to clear up your mind and rest your legs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...