Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5992 Views 83 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2007 9:11 PM by kellywilson RSS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2007 2:50 PM

VT50 - Who's In?!

Its a little less than 3 weeks away.. who's in and who's thinking about it that needs that last minute kick in the pants?!

LETS GO!

SEE YA THERE!

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    1. Sep 10, 2007 3:29 PM (in response to Sherpa John)
    Re: VT50 - Who's In?!

I'm in. You know that. You helped me structure my training! It's been my focus since January. Just finished Groundhog Fall 50k Sat. Hurt. It instilled in me a little fear for the 50 mile distance. All in all however, I CAN'T WAIT! Woohoo!

• jholtthief Rookie 111 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 10, 2007 3:37 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

I'm in in spite of the fact that my training's been pretty weak since the VT100.

• saros Rookie 13 posts since
    Jun 15, 2007
    3. Sep 10, 2007 3:47 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

I am in.  First time at the distance, so a little nervous....  But excited.

• RunLongVT Rookie 161 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Sep 10, 2007 4:06 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

In and looking forward to my first of many!

• kellywilson Rookie 51 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    5. Sep 10, 2007 4:27 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

I'm in.  But I may wait until I get there on Sat to register.  I did the Pisgah 50K on Sunday finishing in 5:32-a 50K PR and 3rd place for the women.  I did the VT50 last year in 10:03-I'm looking for 9:?? this year.  I'm hoping to have a good day and that the running gods are smiling down on me!  and everyone else too-even the mtn bikers.

Kelly

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    6. Sep 10, 2007 4:34 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

I am in, again, this year.  Hoping my legs are recovered from my 100 miler. The mountains in Vermont will not scare me as much as last year as i just ran 100 mile in the Tetons. Those mountains were even scarier. All mountains are scary to this flatlander     

• bikernate Rookie 49 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    7. Sep 10, 2007 7:07 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

I'm in!!  I am so fired up.  I did the GLER 50k 2 weeks ago and added an extra lap for my longest run of 39 miles (7:05).  No blisters, no stomach issues and recovered great.  The weekend after that I did 24 miles off road and yesterday did 27.5 off road to finish a 62 mile week.  I feel great and I am looking forward to reducing my milage over the next two weeks.  This will be my first time for 50 and I feel like it will be my first "real" ultra.  It's hard to express the energy I have for this as my entire year has been about getting ready for this race. 
    Nate

• woodrunner Rookie 91 posts since
    Aug 11, 2006
    9. Sep 10, 2007 11:06 PM (in response to Sherpa John)

I must be another misfit - just got back from my first long run in a while due to injury.  Alone in the spooky woods, after dark, with just my bike light, plus it was raining.  Not on track anymore for a sub 10 finish like last year, but I think at least there's a chance now I'll be healed up in time to run the 50 still.  I'll be counting on the crazy mountain bike stuff I did in August to carry me through!   

If you see me camped out next to the course at the start, with my black truck with canoe racks, say hi.
    Tom

• RunningBuddha Rookie 15 posts since
    May 17, 2007
    10. Sep 11, 2007 12:15 AM (in response to Sherpa John)

Looking forward to it....I've been very busy with the new baby and all but I do hope to escape to Vermont for this one!  Not sure what to expect since I've been in taper/recovery mode since the VT100 so I’m sure this will be a good kick in the ol’ rump!

• AnthonyP085 Rookie 81 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    11. Sep 11, 2007 7:14 AM (in response to Sherpa John)

Wish I could join you and Merigayle this year...I'm thinking I'll be recovered from GT100, but I'm doing the Chicago Marathon next month and saving a bit for JFK-50 in November.

Good luck to all in VT.

• Sightseer66 Rookie 79 posts since
    Jun 5, 2006
    12. Sep 11, 2007 8:51 AM (in response to Sherpa John)

In.

quote:

Originally posted by Sherpa John:

We should come up with a way to identify each other on the course. Blue wrist bands? Suggestions anyone??

Call and response yodeling?

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    13. Sep 11, 2007 10:34 AM (in response to Sherpa John)

Okay, Merigayle, Sherpa John and anybody else who has done this before, what advice can you give us first timers on how to run the race and what the trails are like? I know from reading Merigayle's other posts here and there that she was suprised by the long ascents and descents in the mountains. I live in the same area as her and am expecting some of the same shock. What else do we need to know to be successful? Please share your wisdom with us. Thanks!

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    14. Sep 11, 2007 10:53 AM (in response to Sherpa John)

the trails were not technical. otherwise it was fine. we had a massive rain storm in the middle of the race last year that i got all head winds. I also believe that the aid stations were not labeled correctly. Some of the aid station people were kinda rude to me last year, but i tried to get over it 

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...