Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4258 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2007 4:05 PM by cakmakli RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • ltfranke Rookie 26 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 12, 2007 11:36 AM (in response to quaker02)
    Re: My Nipples

Best thing I've found is using 1 standard band aid.  Cut off the sticky ends and throw away the bandage part.  Affix each sticky end to the nipple.  It's small enough to stay away from sweaty skin and hair (usually)and stays on very well.  Proven for 28+ hours during 2 very sweaty 100's this summer.

• thr3ee Rookie 20 posts since
    Sep 12, 2007
    16. Sep 12, 2007 11:54 AM (in response to quaker02)

I am a big fan of SportShield (http://www.2toms.com/products.html). It is silicone based and not nearly as sticky feeling as Body Glide. They also make an awesome foot powder that has kept me blister free at every distance up to and including 100-miles.I usually buy mine from the good people at ZombieRunner (http://www.zombierunner.com).

-Steve
    NFI in either 2Toms or ZombieRunner

• kriska Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 24, 2007
    17. Sep 12, 2007 12:18 PM (in response to quaker02)

I used to have major problems with bloody nips also.  I found Body Glide worked but only on shorter runs.  My solution - compression fit tops from Under Armor.  Never had even the slightest problem since I started wearing them.  In really hot weather, I'll wear just a tank top - cooler weather, a tank top with a regular synthetic shirt over it (I don't exaclty have the body of the NFL guys they show wearing this stuff).

• David Miller Rookie 37 posts since
    Aug 24, 2007
    18. Sep 12, 2007 2:31 PM (in response to quaker02)

The answer to most questions: Duct tape

• MGinNYC Amateur 180 posts since
    Jan 18, 2005
    19. Sep 12, 2007 2:41 PM (in response to quaker02)

quote:

Originally posted by jimbo55:

Dr Scholl's corn pads stay on and do not seem to be affected by sweat. Have tried others but they fall off in less than an hour.

Definitely Dr. Scholl is the way to go.  Also easier on chest hair.

• mudrunner040 Rookie 375 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    20. Sep 12, 2007 3:07 PM (in response to quaker02)

I just use the small circular Band-Aids. One pair per-100 miler.
    Just remember to take them off when you go into the hotel hot tub.

• phredmur Rookie 72 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Sep 12, 2007 3:20 PM (in response to quaker02)

Muddy- I like the caution about removing the bandaids, but I have a confession to make to the list.I just leave mine on. I run every day and have very sensitive nips that bleed after just a few miles. Solution: put the tape on and leave it there until it starts to fall off about a week or so later, then replace. it has embarrassed my kids (teens) at the beach and in pools, but I don't really care. Kids need to be embarrassed by their parents sometimes. it's just easier this way. And yeah, my wife probably thinks I'm a little bit of a freak, but she's used to some odd behavior (ultrarunning in general) and is very accepting.

Phred (sitting here in my office with some pretty gnarly tape on right now)

• Patriotsr1 Pro 161 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    22. Sep 12, 2007 7:18 PM (in response to quaker02)

White medical tape...only comes off if you remember to take it off....unlike phredmur...I usually try to take it off...sometimes I forget, and teenage son (and friends) die laughing when we go swimming in da pool.

• cowanesque Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 2, 2006
    23. Sep 12, 2007 8:20 PM (in response to quaker02)

I only heard/saw one person with the answer that works for me. Tight underarmour type shirts. If the fabric is stretched, it can't rub. And, it doesn't pull the hair off!!!

Cowanesque

----

I intend to live so my grandchildren will say "What's that old fool up to now?"

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    24. Sep 12, 2007 8:43 PM (in response to quaker02)

quote:

Originally posted by cowanesque:

I only heard/saw one person with the answer that works for me. Tight underarmour type shirts. If the fabric is stretched, it can't rub. And, it doesn't pull the hair off!!!

Cowanesque

which is why girls wear sports bras and do not have nipple issues.

this thread was a good read guys  especially your embarrassed children 

• fatozzig1 Amateur 484 posts since
    Aug 9, 2006
    25. Sep 12, 2007 9:18 PM (in response to quaker02)

I am so glad I am female and can wear a sports bra!  Great read, guys!

----

Leslie
    Running Behind the Redwood Curtain

It's a mad mission but I got the ambition.  It's a mad, mad mission, sign me up.
    I know the price of Success: Dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
    SeeMyProfile![/URL" target="_blank">

• mudrunner040 Rookie 375 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    26. Sep 12, 2007 9:35 PM (in response to quaker02)

I can't find a sports bra that fits properly.

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    27. Sep 13, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to quaker02)

I'm so glad I'm a male and don't have to wear a bra! How do you guys run with those things?

• fatozzig1 Amateur 484 posts since
    Aug 9, 2006
    28. Sep 13, 2007 11:41 AM (in response to quaker02)

quote:

Originally posted by Gregolowe:

I'm so glad I'm a male and don't have to wear a bra! How do you guys run with those things?

Very, very carefully. Otherwise, some of us (no, not me) could get black eyes.

----

Leslie
    Running Behind the Redwood Curtain

It's a mad mission but I got the ambition.  It's a mad, mad mission, sign me up.
    I know the price of Success: Dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
    SeeMyProfile![/URL" target="_blank">

• duhdoorunrun Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Sep 13, 2007 1:43 PM (in response to quaker02)

Lots of replies have referred to "Bandaids," maybe in generic terms.  The one I use is not made by Bandaid, but by Nexcare (a division of 3M, I think)--its circular in shape, and labeled as "Active Foam".  60 bandages in a box for about $3.25, darn sight cheaper than nipple guards.  They stay on for days, and I sweat a LOT.  Like someone else, I shave a bit around the nipples to keep it free of hair.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...