Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3631 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2007 10:52 AM by fatozzig1 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Kitrin Rookie 38 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 13, 2007 12:54 PM (in response to runNYtrails)
    Re: NTR ET ( 9/30 NEO's thread)

I am back from my 5K road race.  I did not realize that this was not only MY first race, but also the first year for the race as well.  I thought that was a nice touch. 

We had beautiful weather, cool and sunny, and the air was so sweet because it rained all day yesterday. The trees are turning too. We could not have had better conditions if we ordered them. I did some walking and a short, very slow jog before starting the run and then positioned myself at the back of the pack. I had no delusions of a fast start. Most of my compatriots at the beginning of the race were walkers, LOL!

I guess I am slow at finding my groove, but this came in handy as we realized that the entire first half was a slow upward grade. I told myself that as long as I finished ahead of the walkers I could hold my head high and I ended up passing some of the fast starters before the 1 mile mark because they stopped running and became walkers too. By the turn around (it was an out and back course), I was so happy to run DOWNHILL. I usually cheat on my runs by going downhill at the beginning.

Even though it was tempting, I still held back. I wanted to finish strong. By mile 2, I was starting to feel like putting more effort into this and picked up my speed. I passed a few of the straggling slow runners and walk/run people. As I turned the corner for the last tenth, I saw that I was doing well for me and smiled all the way in. I finished in 35:21, well under my 40:00 goal and even under my "higher" goal of finishing under my age. YEAH!

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I came on last night and needed a boost. Your posts really helped.

Enjoy your trails this weekend,
    Kitrin

• fatozzig1 Amateur 484 posts since
    Aug 9, 2006
    17. Oct 14, 2007 9:26 PM (in response to runNYtrails)

Congratulations, Kitrin!  You're hooked, aren't ya?!?

Thanks for the pics, NY. We live in a beautiful country, don't we?

No trails again, just pounded the pavement 11 miles on Saturday. Wasn't too bad, except I bonked for the last 1.5-2 miles. It's not as pleasant bonking on the cold, hard pavement as opposed to on the beauty of a trail. I miss the trails!! Soon - I'll be back to them soon!

Have a great week, everyone.

----

Leslie
    Running Behind the Redwood Curtain

It's a mad mission but I got the ambition.  It's a mad, mad mission, sign me up.
    I know the price of Success: Dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
    SeeMyProfile![/URL" target="_blank">

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    18. Oct 15, 2007 9:53 AM (in response to runNYtrails)

I ran 16 miles on Saturday, 5:30-9 am. Used my new Forrunner 305 and got cool statistics and info to play with. I ran 11:00 miles on the flats on trails and paved trails till I got to the Wissahickon Gorge. My pace dropped to 14:00+ for the hills/side of the gorge. Turned around and went back home. Probable about 1/4 on pavement. Right hammie starting to bother me. Feet still hurt from the 50. Ran in shoes (gasp! Horror!). Since then, my hammie feels bothersome, not quite right. I have been struggling to get back into my program after the 50. I think I'm doing too much too soon, for me at least. I have decided to drop my plans for the Stonecat 50 on Nov 10 and focus on basebuilding throughout the winter. I may organize a fatass in the area of ultra distance with fellow ultra people but I will be covert for most of the fall and winter. No racing. I'm going to cut my volume in half and rest and recuperate for the next couple of months. I was out for months last year following an injury that never completely went away till about two months ago. I do NOT want that again.
    Kitrin, way to go girlfriend. Plan on running that race again next year to gauge your progress in the ensuing period of time. Set a goal of taking 5 minutes off that time or something. It'll give you something to focus on.
    runNy, I assumed you were not an ultrarunner as this thread was for newbs originally. Sorry. You have way more experience than I. I like your laid back stance. Nice picks. Sounds like you're in the southern NY, northern PA area. We'll have to hook up next year and run somewhere up there, someplace inbetween us maybe. Pocono's?
       I've GOT to get my camera out damn it!

Jul 6, 2006
    20. Oct 16, 2007 4:58 PM (in response to runNYtrails)

Yeah, I completely agree on the nature of fatasses (teehee goes the juvenile boy inside). I love being out in the woods just pushing it, carrying all I need. My imagination is often captured by fantasies of running in the Grand Canyon, or Yellowstone, or the Bighorns or Rocky's, or Appalacia. It's the same kind of thing that draws me to backpacking. Ultrarunning appeals to me because it combines many of my loves-outdoors, nutrition, fitness, communion with God through nature.
       There is a fatass on the Laurel Highlands trail in southern, western PA this late fall, early winter that looks appealing. I may have an injured hammie so I might have to push something off till February or something. We'll see how the next month goes.

Aug 9, 2006
    21. Oct 17, 2007 12:22 PM (in response to runNYtrails)

Coach Bill has given me the go-ahead to treat myself to a trail run this weekend before I start the taper for my HM (yee haw!).  Keeping my fingers crossed I feel up to it.  Been down with the flu since Sunday.  Ugh!  I haven't been sick in almost 2 years, so this really sucked.

My running bud, Karen, and I have agreed that after my HM, we're stickin' to trail running and want to do some down and muddy running this winter. We've even talked about going back to the Trinity Alps and trying a different trail and running in the snow. That'd be fun!

Hope all is well with all of you.

Later!

----

Leslie

It's a mad mission but I got the ambition.  It's a mad, mad mission, sign me up.
    I know the price of Success: Dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Sep 24, 2007
    22. Oct 19, 2007 12:44 AM (in response to runNYtrails)

It has been too long since I went for a run.  I have a newish job that is per diem and it is really starting to pick up.  All this week, I did not have the time to put on my shoes.  Wait!  I take that back.  I DID get ready to run on Tuesday, but got caught in the rain without proper attire.  I did not want to risk sickness and threw in the towel.  Sigh.

ANYWAY, I told myself "I AM GOING TO RUN TODAY." I came home from work rushed around and got out the door with barely an hour of daylight left. I wanted a trail run so badly. IT FELT SO GOOD! Even from the first few steps, running was a natural as it ever could be. This surprised me because I usually struggle for a mile or two. I also kept a faster pace without much difficulty.

I finished the trail portion just about the time that it is scary to run over rocks and roots because you cannot see them (without a light), but I did not want to stop. I honestly have never felt this before. I have felt where I "could" keep going, but not where I did not want to stop.

I kept going (on streets, but I did not care at that point) for another 1.5 to 2 miles. Maybe I will map it out. I finally stopped after running somewhere between 4.5 and 5 miles for a total of 1 hour and two minutes (these are both personal records). I could have kept going, but I thought that was enough. I recovered SO QUICKLY too. I am still amazed. As recently as Saturday, 3 miles was enough to wear me out.

I still can't get over this. What a great way to finish the day!

I hope everyone is well,
    Kitrin

Jul 6, 2006
    23. Oct 19, 2007 9:16 AM (in response to runNYtrails)

And you wonder whether you have it in you to become a distance runner. I would say that MANY runners run longer distances because of just such experiences. It's like gambling or golf...you occasionally hit it just right and it goes where you want it to effortlessly, or you hit that winning hand...they're enought to hook you for the long haul if you're not careful. So watch out, you may be on the verge of addiction.

• TrailBitten Rookie 170 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Oct 19, 2007 12:42 PM (in response to runNYtrails)

Not to rat her out, but RunNYTrails is WAY too humble. She is a great trail and ultra runner, and a terrific photographer.

It is because of her that I did my first (and subsequent) marathons, and then trail runs, and later, 6 hour, 50ks, and more!

Just wanted to pop in here and let ya know what you're dealin' with here-a way too humble, "real deal" runner with a lot to offer here.

TrailOBite Michelle

Aug 9, 2006
    25. Oct 19, 2007 12:53 PM (in response to runNYtrails)

Okay - Nicknames are killing me here.  Who's a guy and who's a girl?  All this time, I've thought NY was a guy.  Wrong??  I know JJJ's a guy - at least that's what the pics show.   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|border=0!

BTW - I'm a chick.

Thinking about hitting the trails tomorrow. It'll be really rainy, muddy, and windy. Would be fun! I am so out of trail shape, though . . . Ugh!

----

Leslie

Sep 24, 2007
    26. Oct 20, 2007 2:25 AM (in response to runNYtrails)

It cracks me up that some many of us on this thread are chicks.

Kitrin

Jul 6, 2006
    27. Oct 20, 2007 9:34 AM (in response to runNYtrails)

Whoa! A GIRL?! Gross.

Aug 9, 2006
    28. Oct 20, 2007 8:53 PM (in response to runNYtrails)

Get over it, Greg.  One of these days, we will rule the world!!  I am woman!  Hear me roar!  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I got to treat myself to a trail run today.  The good thing was I had an absolute blast.  It was muddy, it was rainy, it was cold, but it was great.  The bad thing was I figured the mileage wrong and shorted myself by 2 whole miles.   Did 8 instead of 10.  But also on the up side, I did much better than I thought I would, considering I had done any real trail running since August.  It felt like home!  I felt like I could've run the rest of the day.  Why can't that happen every run???

Hope the rest of you had great runs, trail or otherwise.

----

Leslie

Aug 9, 2006
    29. Oct 21, 2007 11:11 AM (in response to runNYtrails)

Can you guys give me some advice?  I'm having problems with developing blisters under the callouses on my feet.  The callouses are on the edge of the balls of my feet and on the outer edges of my big toes.  I don't have any problem w/short runs, but I always development then on long runs, even with the use of moleskin.

I'm working on whittling the callouses down, but it's taking awhile. In the meantime . . .

My road and trail shoes are Mizunos and are basically brand new. I use trail socks and road socks accordingly. I probably need to get new trails socks, but my road socks aren't that old.

Any ideas?

----

Leslie

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...