Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6953 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2007 1:11 PM by Guest Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 21, 2007 8:27 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)
    Re: Too early for a Stone Cat 50 topic?

I have done both.  My time at Bull Run was about an hour slower than Stonecat, but I'm not sure how good a comparison that is because the year I did BR, the weather was terrible and there was a ton of mud.  I would agree that the course at Bull Run is harder.  There are definitely more hills.  One thing that I think is harder at the Stonecat course is the fact that the rocks and roots on the trail are hidden under all the fallen leaves, so you have to watch your footing a lot more as it's easier to trip.

• Trail Goat Rookie 91 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    16. Oct 22, 2007 9:14 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

I've run 7:18 at BRR (06 - mud year) and just under 8 at Stone Cat ('03 on old course).  I ran a 7:28 at BRR six months after my 8 hour Stone Cat.  However, I don't think that's typical. I'm not sure which I find "easier" but Stone Cat surely has fewer hills.  Stone Cat also isn't likely to be among the first hot/humid days of the mid-Atlantic spring, which is often the case with BRR. ...  Personally, I'm hoping for snow at SC this year!

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

• Currently Being Moderated
    17. Oct 22, 2007 9:21 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Snow would be much better than rain!

I just checked out your blog, Trail Goat. Looks like lots of interesting and useful stuff there, I'll have to bookmark it. 

Mar 22, 2006
    18. Oct 22, 2007 9:33 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Trail Tripper,
    Glad you like my blog.  While I've been blogging to various degrees about my running for years, I've recently begun posting on topics beyond my own training, racing, travel, and gear review.  Enough people have asked for my advice that I thought I should try and organize it.  In blogging about various topics I've learned a lot both from the process of writing, which surprised me, and from the the insightful folks who leave comments.   Anyway, please let me know if you have anything you'd think I should write about.

- Bryon

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

19. Oct 31, 2007 10:05 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Stonecat 50 will be my first Ultra too! I can use all the advice I can get.
    I ran the Baystate marathon about 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, does anybody have a checklist for things to be left in a bag at the start line ? How does it work in terms of logistics ?

• Durt Rookie 31 posts since
    Jul 5, 2006
    20. Oct 31, 2007 1:16 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

I'll be volunteering early morning.  Decided not to run the marathon due to the proximity to JFK. I'll be the short dude wearing last years Bull Run jacket.  No idea where they'll have me or what I'll be doing, but I'm sure I'll see y'all out there.

• Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    21. Oct 31, 2007 2:32 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Reji, the course is very well supported, with plenty of food and beverages at the aid stations.  You should plan to leave in your drop bag any additional food or drinks that you want, plus any other items that might come in handy.  I'm planning on putting in several extra gels and a couple of pairs of socks in my bag.  A change of shirt or an extra layer, hat or gloves, might be a good idea too.  Who knows what the weather will be like.

You should also be sure to put a headlamp in your bag in case you'll be finishing in the dark.

As for logistics, you can just leave your bag on the ground near the start/finish area. I would suggest putting your stuff in something waterproof in case of rain or snow.

This will be my second Stonecat and fourth official 50 mile race.  Good luck!!

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Oct 31, 2007 4:05 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Can't wait to see everyone! Don't forget to say hi!

23. Oct 31, 2007 5:33 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Thanks for some of the responses. I had heard the ultra community was close knit and supportive! I think I understand now.
    I made the decision to run Stonecat only a few weeks ago and so am a little nervous but it's more of nervous excitement! I just want to finish and I will be very happy with the season.
    Thanks for all the support.

• Trail Monster Rookie 34 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    24. Nov 1, 2007 5:52 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

You just want to finish?

I just want to spend 8 to 12 hours running with a bunch of other crazy runners. I have no idea how long it will take me, I could run the first 3 laps in 2 hours each and the last lap in 6 more... who knows, but I'm sure it's going to be "fun" all day long.

Dec 14, 2007
    25. Nov 1, 2007 6:23 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Monster... your first 50 I hear? Good luck to you. I'll be rootin for ya!

"Pain Fun" is more like it

Mar 22, 2006
    27. Nov 1, 2007 10:27 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

5th in 7:59
    Minimum goal - finish
    Maximum goal - finish without suffering for too long

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

Dec 14, 2007
    28. Nov 2, 2007 5:59 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Sure...

13th 9:23

Minimum Goal #1: Sub 9:47
    Ideal Goal #2: Sub 9:00

• Trail Monster Rookie 34 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    29. Nov 2, 2007 6:23 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

35th place, 10:28

Minimum Goal: Sub 12:00
    Ideal Goal: Sub 10:00

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...