Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5938 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2007 1:11 PM by Guest RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 2, 2007 8:04 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)
    Re: Too early for a Stone Cat 50 topic?

quote:

Originally posted by ctxcrossx:

Is anyone brave enough to offer predictions on their stone cat performance?

Nope, no predictions here! I'm only doing the wee 2-lapper though, that I can say with certainty! I guess my main goal is to have enough fun to justify the Loooong Drive Friday and Sunday.

• Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Nov 2, 2007 9:04 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

I know I'll be in the back of the pack.  I would like to do better than my previous time of 11:57.  Mostly I just want to finish, though, but hopefully I will not go over 12 hours.  I'm going to run the first loop easy and see how long it takes, and then maybe pick it up a bit in the second and third loops if I'm feeling good.  I would advise the new runners to take the first loop pretty easy to get a feel for the course, then you can put the hammer down if you want.

• Sarah108 Rookie 133 posts since
    May 10, 2004
    32. Nov 2, 2007 9:14 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

The other advice I would give especially to the first-time ultra people is don't spend a lot of time at the aid stations.  It's hard because the aid stations are fun, there are usually a lot of people hanging around having a good time, but don't get sucked into socializing with volunteers or other runners.  Aid stations are not rest stops!  You should plan to spend no more than 1-2 minutes max at an aid station unless you have a specific problem to take care of.  While you're running, be thinking about what you need to do at the next station, so that you can be as effecient as possible once you get there. Just fill your bottle, grab some food, and go. You can eat while you're walking.  It's fine to rest and relax during the run, but do it on the trail, not at the aid station.

• Trail Goat Rookie 91 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    34. Nov 2, 2007 10:56 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

ctxcrossx,
    Stone Cat was my first 50 back in 2003.  My time - 7:59.   You can do it! 

As for me I'm not in race shape, having done very few long runs the past 6 months. Anyway, I'm not sure if Stone Cat is a cool down from MMTR this weekend or a training run for JFK the following weekend. I'm mostly headed to SC as one of my college teammates will be making his ultra debut. I suspect he'll dust me!

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

• dironstarr Rookie 21 posts since
    Apr 18, 2002
    35. Nov 2, 2007 3:54 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

No goal for me....excepted for finishing of course. I'm just happy & thrilled to be running with everyone and to join that fraternity of 50 mile finishers.

As long as I beat the 13 hour cutoff I will be happy.mOf course, secretly I am hoping to finish in under 10.

Anyone got any flashlight recommendations? I got the headlight covered but want a backup light in place.

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    36. Nov 2, 2007 7:16 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

ah Stonecat! my first ever 50 a few years and miles ago....and the most mistakes made during a race! but all good as you learn. Here are some things I learned:

-first snow of the year makes for crazy driving and be prepared. Also be prepared when your driver/bf gets lost 3x and drives over the meridian and when you freak he yells: you wanna be an ultrarunner!!!!?? then you have to be prepared for anything!!!! (good advice)

-of course, dont start too fast, but you know that and you will anyway....just keep it in mind!

-as Sarah mentioned, dont get sucked into the Aid Stations,.now these GAC-ers like to have a good time, and a good time they have...and they get 'loopier' after every loop. I don't know if it was just me or the empties I saw! But its too fun and easy to stay and chat: remember this: you are on a mission! In and Out! grab some food and keep going, eat while walking...constant progress forward....

-Drop bags: pat yourself on the back for packing for anything BUT dont waste time here either....I changed my socks after EVERY loop as I was all worried about potential blisters...its funny now but what did I think my feet would fall off if I didnt change socks? as you are running into the end of the loop, think about what you will need, do you REALLY need it, where it is in the bag, etc....but dont be so hurried you also forget something crucial. Asess your needs and address any problems or potential ones.

-Dark. It gets dark EARLY it'll be the first saturday of daylight savings time....and my Kmart Lion King kids flashlight was NOT enough! Go test your lighting choice briefly this week. Dont go do a big night trail run of course, just make sure it all works and is bright enough.
    A kind GACer lent me a real flashlight (mini mag) and was great and that was enough, I hadnt used a headlamp before. I was OK with the flashlight.

New ultra runners: 'they' say dont try anything new on race day but you will be surprised what might 'work' for you later on in the race, food wise. Remember to keep on eating/drinking.

Fun Fun!!!!! Let's hope for nice weather!

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    38. Nov 2, 2007 8:45 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

chris: another obsessed person here. Its Friday night? wtf are we doing???
    I am not sure about the aid station placement. One 'fer sure' is you hit the start after every 12.5 miles and If I remember there was was a clock there when I did it. As far as the stations go, I think we are going to have to ask on the first loop about placement, but keep in mind that maybe the volunteers wont know either how far til the next one.
    also you are right to be concerned about the leaves and roots, though its not a real 'technical' course, at this time of year the thing is the wet and slippery leaves. But the year I did it (the snow year) I didnt even own a pair of trail shoes and I finished under the cutoff. Your goal is higher than that, but I would recommend trail shoes if you have them, for the traction. And be careful of course.

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Dec 27, 2007 2:19 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

speaking of friday nights - the upcoming one, that is     anyone planning to be at the pre-race dinner?

[http://This message has been edited by rundangerously (edited Nov-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by rundangerously (edited Nov-06-2007).]

• Trail Monster Rookie 34 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    40. Nov 6, 2007 10:45 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

The race website says "Aid stations are at 4 miles, 8 miles, and start/finish of loop".

Apparently people have been asking if they can qualify for the Boston marathon by running this race. Road runners are such fools!

I'm looking forward to leaving work early on Friday and enjoying the pasta dinner Friday night. Does anyone know what to expect at the dinner? Sometimes I find that these things aren't quite enough and I have to get a bit extra after the meal.

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Nov 6, 2007 11:01 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WEATHER!!

Current weather reports are calling for the chance of another coastal storm with a rain/snow mix friday night INTO Saturday.

• spaff Rookie 41 posts since
    Jul 4, 2007
    42. Nov 6, 2007 11:05 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Goals?.......Hmmm...

Okay......
    #1: Don't get rained on.
    #2: Don't get lost.
    #3: Don't puke.....ok, will never happen, but I'll at least try to miss the trail for y'all.
    #4: Finish strong.
    #5: Run faster than Haliburton.

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. Nov 6, 2007 11:26 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

batten down the hatches and break out the foul weather gear!

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Nov 6, 2007 1:07 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Note: On Saturday the course recieved anywhere from 2-3 inches of rain from the remnants of Hurricane Noel. Today... its raining again and we'll have recieved another inch to an inch and a half. Not sure how well the course drains... but I'd expect some mud either way...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...