Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2730 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2007 7:11 PM by chriswile RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    17. Oct 29, 2007 3:51 PM (in response to timlooney019)
    Re: WS 2008

I agree with merigayle, the qualifications should be maybe back to what they used to be, or harder. Even though as I said before that I know people that do 50s to get a qualifying time, 11 hours for a trail 50 isnt really that hard to do for the average person. I think they could even take an hour off that. It might also up the percentage of finishers also.

• Trail Goat Rookie 91 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    18. Oct 29, 2007 4:13 PM (in response to timlooney019)

As much as it would be to my benefit, I wouldn't support tightening the qualifying standards.  It's my understanding that those standards are in place to weed out those who don't have a reasonable chance of finishing from entering.  If there's a reasonable chance for someone to finish in 30 hours, I want them to be given that chance. The folks riding the cutoff wave are an inspiration.

If you start ratcheting down the qualifying standard where do you stop? I have no doubt that WS could fill with people likely to run under 27 hours (If not faster), so why not base the qualifying standard on the equivalent 50 mile time and get rid of the lottery?

I'll be entering States this week. Hopefully, I make it in, since I likely won't be able to take advantage of the two time loser rule for Western States 2009. I can't imagine that WS has any option but to eliminate the 2 time loser rule after this year's lottery. Fortunately, I have great plans if I don't make it in.

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Oct 29, 2007 5:16 PM (in response to timlooney019)

I can see the need to alter the 2 time loser rule... but I wonder if any considerations will be made for those who, after this years lottery, will become 2 time losers and in effect... be an auto entry upon qualification for 2009...

I personally think some kind of "grandfathering" needs to be done. For instance.. all those who applied for this years lottery and it was their FIRST time applying and they become a 1x loser... they would be subject to the rule change. But those who would be 2x losers after this years lottery would be grandfathered in and allowed to run in 2009 under this rule.

• Trail Goat Rookie 91 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    20. Oct 29, 2007 5:34 PM (in response to timlooney019)

SJ,
    I think part of the problem that it is possible that there will be a good number more two time losers after this year's lottery for WS '08 than there would be slots available for WS '09 if they all entered a third time.  Something's gotta give.  Perhaps, they move to a ticket/point based system where you get an extra ticket for every consecutive year you qualify, enter, and don't get in.  WS would pull the appropriate number of tickets to fill the race.  That way those folks who keep entering and not getting pulled have a better chance of getting in than someone entering for the first time, but the race will never have too many entrants.  It's also a good sorting mechanism in that those who really want to get in have a better chance. 

Under this scenario, it would be fun to see a supplemental drawing in which all persons going into the year are entered with one name pulled from that pool. The drawing could either be held before the main drawing... or even more fun, as the last draw overall. It would be pretty sweet for someone for a 5 or 6 year drought to get pulled as the last slot in the next year's race!

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

• Katie029 Rookie 35 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    21. Oct 29, 2007 5:34 PM (in response to timlooney019)

I'll be at the lottery.  We go every year.  I wouldn't miss it; it is worth the 2.5 hour drive.  There is so much tension in that room--Wow! 

I think they are going to have the results up pretty fast this year.

Good luck to all of you who are entered.

• chriswile Rookie 29 posts since
    May 27, 2005
    22. Oct 30, 2007 6:00 PM (in response to timlooney019)

OK- stupid question time and I am first in line so here goes.  I know what Western States is and I know a bit about the course.  But why is this the 100 miler that all ultra runners want to run so badly?  It seems that there are many other 100's out there and most have no lottery or waiting list.  What is it that makes WS 100 so special to you all?  Thanks.
    Chris

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    23. Oct 30, 2007 6:04 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Chris, i do not know. I think because it is the oldest in the country and the history behind it. At this point though i have learned there are a lot of other fabulous 100 milers out there and look forward to doing them.
    My most favorite race every year has been the Old Dominion Memorial and about 30 people run each the 50 miler and 100 miler. A lot of 100 milers have a low turnout, but races like Leadville have 400+ at the start. Go figure.

A lot of it is history and how long the race has been around.

I am just looking forward to the lottery so i know either way what to do next year as far as planning my race schedule.

• jholtthief Rookie 111 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Oct 30, 2007 6:44 PM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by chriswile:

OK- stupid question time and I am first in line so here goes. I know what Western States is and I know a bit about the course. But why is this the 100 miler that all ultra runners want to run so badly? It seems that there are many other 100's out there and most have no lottery or waiting list. What is it that makes WS 100 so special to you all? Thanks.
    Chris

WS is to hundred mile runners what Boston is to marathoners, or a gig at Carnagie Hall to a classical musician. It's THE classic 100. Of course, not all ultra runners desire to run 'States. For better or for worse, I do....

• Steve K043 Rookie 91 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Nov 1, 2007 6:16 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Well I finally sent in my 2008 application. Tim, see you in either California or Wisconsin, depending on the odds and/or if you are still considering KM100 as an alternative.

I've been nursing a broken left little toe - caught it on a dresser. It hasn't stopped my running, but I haven't been getting in an distances for awhile.

Steve K

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• rootsrunner Rookie 236 posts since
    Jun 28, 2006
    26. Nov 1, 2007 8:37 PM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by katie:

I'll be at the lottery. We go every year. I wouldn't miss it; it is worth the 2.5 hour drive. There is so much tension in that room--Wow!

I think they are going to have the results up pretty fast this year.

Good luck to all of you who are entered.

Hi Katie.

I'm going to be in the area and could possibly be there. I'm not entering, but I'd like to see the drawing.

Food for thought: Since the North Face event in Marin is happening on the same day, will there be less attendees at WS lottery?

If you show to lottery, chances could be better this year?

May 27, 2005
    27. Nov 2, 2007 6:50 AM (in response to timlooney019)

After reading a number of race reports I was inspired by one written by Tim Looney from WS 2007.  What a great job Tim!  Now if I can Muddy to pace for me I'll be all set.
      I just sent in my registration via Active. I am not sure if this method of registration has any impact on the chance of being selected, but was not sure that the application would make it there by mail in time. Thanks to those who offered feedback here!

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    28. Nov 2, 2007 7:55 PM (in response to timlooney019)

It is pretty crazy how psyched I am for a lottery that is a month away!
    well a lot of race and travel and training plans depend on it!
    I read some rumours on the ultra list and wonder...it sounds like there might be some big changes coming up, but who knows for sure really?
    Tim....can you post a link to your report again? I read it at the time but I am eager for some WS stuff. Makes me feel a bit guilty as I never posted any race reports, just sent some to a few friends. I love reading them and they can be so inspiring/entertaining/informative.

May 27, 2005
    29. Nov 3, 2007 7:33 AM (in response to timlooney019)

The link to Tim's race report that I read is -

http://timlooney.blogspot.com/2007/07/epic-journey-through-sierras.html.[/URL" target="_blank">

I found Tim's and others at Stan Jensens web site under "Race Reports".  There are many good ones there, but for some reason Tim's really inspired me.  Thanks Tim!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...