Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2981 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2005 7:57 AM by jwillse
hammond65 Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2004 9:14 AM

Ironman training

I just signed up for Ironman Florida.  It will be a big goal with the race being held on my 40th birthday.  I've been out of triathlon for 2years but want back in.  I've only done sprint and olympic distances.  Maybe I'm nuts but I'm going for it.  I just need to survive this race with a smile.  My question is this:  can anyone direct me to a training plan that fits my ironman newbie status and what are your opinions of someone trying to tackle this endeavor after being out of the sport for a couple of years?  Thanks for any advice!  Ken Hammond

• billnehr Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Nov 10, 2004 7:02 AM (in response to hammond65)
    Re: Ironman training

Ken,

With a good attitude and proper training, you'll be fine.  I went from bike racing only to doing an Ironman in a year, so it can be done.  I recommend putting together a structured base week that you can stick to, creating a realistic periodized plan and plan on doing at least one 1/2 IM at least 8-10 weeks out from your Ironman.  Lots of variables, but let me know if you need any help.

Thanks, Bill

www.bntcoaching.com

• creichmuth Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 10, 2004 1:10 PM (in response to hammond65)

Hi there,

I've been there, done that, and done it well.  I've also helped several other newbies and veterans do the same.  Come on down and check out my supersite!  www.bodyandmindsolutions.com.  You'll be happy you did.

Cheers,

Cristin, President and Principal Coach

• davemiles Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Nov 11, 2004 7:42 AM (in response to hammond65)

Hi Ken,

I went from triathlon rookie to doing 2 IM's this year in the space of 18 months.

It's not easy - the only pracical advice i can give you is to do some good brick sessions - especially bike to run.

I thought I could do IM Lanzarote (the toughest) and IM Hawaii on the back of 6 hours training a week.

It just wasnt enough.

I managed to finish both races (with a smile on my face) in 14 hours for each.

Where I went wrong was lack of long run - especially off the bike - dying both times on the marathon (I came from a running background so didnt put much work in)

Back in IM Lanzarote next year, hopefully wiser and with more training under my belt.

Dave

• honhog Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Dec 9, 2004 10:27 AM (in response to hammond65)

OkI'm doing a crazy thing tooI am trying to do the Ironman France (just to finish) in June with no prior background in biking or swimming (Other than being able to avoid drowning.)  Got my bike in August, am doing bilateral breathing.  Right now I am just trying to get s schedule down.  I would be interested in hearing the nitty gritty of others schedules and how they cope with winter which I have noticed is not conducive to getting out for long bike rides. 

I plan on doing 1 to two shorter events beforehond which will probably mean traveling to like Mexico--I guess that's not too tough.  Right now I am hitting a period of discouragement after the initial elation of deciding to give it a shot.  (I am going with a friend who has previously done an Ironman and who forgot to tell me not to try this.)

• jwillse Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jan 7, 2005 7:57 AM (in response to hammond65)

How does one do IM Hawaii in his first year!? Were you a luck Loterry winner?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...